What sand to use for dampening? (Off Topic)

by fu_man @, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 14:36 (6210 days ago)

Hi, I want to add sand to my DIY speaker stands. Anyone know what type of sand I should use? I have some clean dry "sharps" , no fines sand. Or should I use a fine rounded sand?

Any clues?

Thanks

Tags:

What sand to use for dampening?

by GC, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 16:44 (6210 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi, I want to add sand to my DIY speaker stands. Anyone know what
type of sand I should use? I have some clean dry "sharps" , no fines
sand. Or should I use a fine rounded sand?

Any clues?

Thanks

Hi Fu_man

Had good luck using quarts sand. Don't know where you are living, so try to Google it.

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 20:59 (6210 days ago) @ GC

That's what I thought.
This is "parakeet" sand. "Parkiet" in dutch, but it's general "birds to keep at home" sand for at the bottom of the cage.

Peter

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 22:11 (6210 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Important is that the sand is absolutely dry.

Yes, I am using parakeet bird sand as well (I think it is made from finely milled s*****). Next to nice smell, they definitely make my Orpheans sing (sorry, I couldn't resist this remark ):blush:

Rudolf

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 23:04 (6210 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Rudolf 149,5 :grin:

You are just right about the dryness.

The quarts sand is acid treated edgy sand/stone (glass if you like) and it caNot absorbe humidity. It can either gather or be shaken together to a solid block as well, and thereby it just transfers vibrations to heat and do not exhange vibrations to another level of vibrations. It's not a vibe-transformer. But a "grounder".
That's why it's good, if any needs damping something.

GC

Tags:

by fu_man @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 02:19 (6210 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Guys,,
yes definitely will use dry sand, and clean.

I think the quartz sand is similar or a type of what we group as silica sand (in New Zealand) If it's used for the bottom of bird cages I guess it is quite co****.
The proprietary processed sands we get here are generally either a co**** angular sand for bedding paving unit, and a fine rounded, "high flow" sand for filling the joints between pavers.
The other option I have is a black iron sand.

I guess the benefit of the co****r sand in paving applications is that it compacts better, (and better drainage) This may relate to what you say about it settling to a semi solid? perhaps this slight 'lock together' is useful given what one guy I know says: "Sand, tends to "flow" and move around, absorbing low level info"...."Sand, however, is a "fluid" material & IMO not entirely ideal for damping...altho it does get into all crevices. I used to only partially fill my stands, so as not to kill the "dynamic" entirely, only sufficient to stop steel tubes ringing..."

Perhaps the smooth fine rounded sands absorb more /too much energy?

I have also heard recommendations of using a combination of sand, and steel shot, or equal portions of fine sand gravel and shot. Anyone tried this?

Tags:

by fu_man @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 04:02 (6210 days ago) @ fu_man

wow man, bert your censor is sensitive.
co**** ( in prev post) = opposite of smooth I.e. rough/ not fine grained / angular

Tags:

Censoring...?

by Bert @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 17:09 (6209 days ago) @ fu_man

wow man, bert your censor is sensitive.

Sorry about that... no idea which word you wanted to use though. You can trick it with spaces though like "s p a c e s". Then I can find that word back and make it available...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Censoring...?

by Rudolf150 @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 17:50 (6209 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

I think fu_man was trying to type c o a r s e and I was trying to type s h e l l s.

Next to spaces, we could also try to ttyyppee eevveerryy lleetteerr ttwwiiccee :wink:

RRuuddoollff

Tags:

Censoring...?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 18:09 (6209 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Ttaatthh wwoouulldd bbee rraatthheerr uuGCrreeaaddaabbllee..

Bbeetteerr/2 ddoo/2 iitt/2 lliikkee/2 tthhiiss/2 tthheen/2../2

:cool::cool:/2

Tags:

Censoring...?

by GC, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 18:53 (6209 days ago) @ Rudolf150

uoY nac osla od ti siht yaw.

floduR uoy evah tog a 005 zH nroh won.

renreG:cool:

Tags:

Censoring...?

by Bert @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 23:18 (6209 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Thanks Rudolf,

Both censored words are allowed again... :)

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by MikeH @, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 06:58 (6210 days ago) @ fu_man
edited by unknown, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 07:02

I guess the benefit of the co****r sand in paving applications is that it
compacts better, (and better drainage) This may relate to what you say
about it settling to a semi solid? perhaps this slight 'lock together' is
useful given what one guy I know says: "Sand, tends to "flow" and move
around, absorbing low level info"...."Sand, however, is a "fluid" material
& IMO not entirely ideal for damping...altho it does get into all crevices.
I used to only partially fill my stands, so as not to kill the "dynamic"
entirely, only sufficient to stop steel tubes ringing..."

Perhaps the smooth fine rounded sands absorb more /too much energy?

You want to damp it as much as you can. Absorbing low level information is good. You dont want sound coming from anywhere but the drivers / horns.
Fill the stands to the top and reserve some extra sand to top them up as they compact.

You should get good settling if you vibrate the stands while filling them. I recommend an assistant twirling the handle of a large hexagonal shaped screwdriver against it. (rub the shaft between your hands)

Bake the sand in the oven in a batches of thin layers (about 5mm)to dry it out. Remember to let it cool a little bit before pouring into your stands.

I would not use larger particles like steel shot and gravel, if you have some loose on top it might rattle at high volume.
I would also avoid very fine sand, it will rattle out any small gaps at the bottom of the stands making a mess.

Most people will disagree with me on this next point but it makes sense:
Do not spike your speakers to your stands. you want to stop the stands from making noise don't you? so why connect them rigidly to a vibrating thing? Use ergonomic mouse mats to isolate the speakers from the stands. You know the kind with the gel wrist rest? use two of those for each.

If your speakers move then they should be heavier. Spikes do not isolate, they move and reduce contact areas.

Tags:

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, March 29, 2007, 20:28 (6209 days ago) @ MikeH
edited by unknown, Friday, March 30, 2007, 06:46

Hey Y'all,

I suppose sand might be a reasonable low cost alternative for filling speaker stands or similar applications, but it has been my experience that fine lead shot such as shot for reloading shotgun shells is superior. Any good gun store which handles reloading supplies should have or be able to obtain this shot in bulk for you. Perhaps it might be avilable at a lower cost from other sources.

Don Reid

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread