High power sub amp (Off Topic)

by leifchristensen @, Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 14:55 (6189 days ago)

hello folks
I´m in need of some high power mono amp for my down under subs.
I know of the hypex 700 modules ,but think they might be a little over the top for the range 35 and down to 15 hZ.
Has any of you any experience with the spanish "coldamp" modules:
http://www.coldamp.com/opencms/opencms/coldamp/en/productos/pack_pa
Any opinions welcome

Best
Leif

Tags:

High power sub amp

by miksin @, Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 15:19 (6189 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Well, I know someone might find this a little controversial, but:
An Italian manufacturer Kind Audio has two lines of amplifiers, namely "NWX" with switching supply and a more traditionl "K"-series, whichs IMHO certainly deserves a try in this application. Yes, they are PA amps, of very, very serious pro quality.

I 've listened amps in the abovementioned series head-to-head with very highly regarded commercial hi-fi amplifiers, with different loudspeakers up to Wilson-Benech, and the results has been quite staggering. No, they've certainly not the best amps in the world, but for they money, they are ridiculously good, and they are available up to 2 or 3 kW, I think.

and, please, forget the rest of their (kind Audio) stuff.
This is only about "K" and "NWX"- series.

Tags:

High power sub amp

by leifchristensen @, Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 15:35 (6189 days ago) @ miksin

looked at their web pages:
No prices but I´ll check
thxs 4 tip
best
Leif

Tags:

High power sub amp

by miksin @, Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 19:51 (6189 days ago) @ leifchristensen

BTW,

Because of pro gear, prepare for balanced drive only and Neutrik Speakon connectors for outputs. Also, I think they all should have pots for each channel.

And again, only lower end of "NWX" series and any of "K"- series.
Dont even consider any others. They all are just p**, except perhaps the "XT". Personally have not listened any of them, but they are claimed to be two "K"-amps in one box, so they shold work.

Good luck!
..and, usually that pro gear has very good second hand value.

Tags:

High power sub amp

by Sjef @, Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 23:32 (6189 days ago) @ miksin

For subwoofer power only one of the best amps available at a decent pricetag is the Crown K1 or K2, they are even better in that range then the UCD700 wich I happen to use to power my woofers up to 120Hz with 60db/oct. I think the switched mode power supply in the Crown might have a lot to do with it.

By the way if you don't need the power then the UCD400 sounds almost exactly the same as the UCD700, only compared them on my woofers that is, can't say anything about the rest of the audio spectrum, never tried.

Tags:

High power sub amp

by Sjef @, Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 00:08 (6177 days ago) @ miksin

By the way, I would strongly advice you NOT to buy the UCD700's. My UCD700 exploded (yes really exploded, with fire, lot's of smoke and firecracker noise) for the second time in two months while running idle. First the left, now the right channel. The UCD700 of a friend of mine did the same thing on the left channel 2 weeks ago, his UCD400's are running stable for months now. Luckily for me my woofers can handle the power otherwise they would have gone up in smoke as well.

Tags:

High power sub amp

by Tubefx @, Monday, June 04, 2007, 15:56 (6170 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Hello Leif

I have a couple of pass-labs amps here.
These are classe-a amps with a lot of power and are build very high-end,
with MKV and black gate in the power supply.
All resistors are tantal.
They have a output off 150W each.
Very powerfull for sub lows.:wink:

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread