Any luck using passive crossover and single.. (Oris Horns)

by TubeDriver @, Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 18:44 (6100 days ago)

Has anyone experimented with Oris 200 Horns (AER MD-1)/Compact Reference Bass System BD-15) using a passive crossover and a single amplifier?

I own a set of JBL 4320 (a two way with 15" driver in bass reflex cab crossover to horn at 800Hz) and like the simplicity of using a single amp.

Could the Oris system be made to work in this fashion (resister lowering the horn output with passive crossover around 250Hz) driven by single amp (300B or 2A3)?

Tags:

Any luck using passive crossover and single..

by Bert @, Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 19:39 (6100 days ago) @ TubeDriver

Hi TubeDriver,

Has anyone experimented with Oris 200 Horns (AER MD-1)/Compact Reference
Bass System BD-15) using a passive crossover and a single amplifier?

I did...

Could the Oris system be made to work in this fashion (resister lowering
the horn output with passive crossover around 250Hz) driven by single amp
(300B or 2A3)?

Yes, it can be done but it won't be an easy task if you are not able to measure things and know what you are doing. Simplicity is using a separate amp for the bass though and probably cheaper than using quality components for the needed filter.

You'll need relative high values (low crossover frequency), an impedance correction for only the bass but probably for the AER's too..

Of course you could design a simple 12dB filter for just the bass and an attenuator for the AER's to have something done but I am not sure if your tube amps would like the strong impedance variations...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by TubeDriver @, Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 19:54 (6100 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for the info. I don't have any experience with DIY speakers (although I do have two buddies who have years of DIY horn experience), maybe I will have them eyeball the driver/enclosure specs and see what they think.

Tags:

by TubeDriver @, Wednesday, July 18, 2007, 19:16 (6099 days ago) @ Bert

Are there published impedance plots for these drivers anywhere on the net? Is the 200Hz crossover point above the impedance peak at system resonance for the B-D driver?

Tags:

by Bert @, Wednesday, July 18, 2007, 19:26 (6099 days ago) @ TubeDriver

Hi TubeDriver,

Are there published impedance plots for these drivers anywhere on the net?

No, I have never seen them or published them myself.

Is the 200Hz crossover point above the impedance peak at system resonance
for the B-D driver?

Which BD driver are you talking about? The BD15 bass driver/system or the AER in their horns?

Even then, these curves won't help if you are just calculating a filter. Even small tolerances will force you to measure and check any impedance corrections you've created to be of any use.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Gasper, Thursday, July 19, 2007, 15:10 (6098 days ago) @ TubeDriver

Hi!

I have tried and it didn't work.:no:

Better go "Bert's" way...:wink:

Regards,

Gasper.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread