Fe207E and FT17H crossover (Singular)

by MikeH @, Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 09:09 (6107 days ago)

I'm finally happy with my tweeter filter. For those running this driver with a phase plug this will be a good starting point for you.
Series resistor of 4x cheap wire wound 5W 33 ohm in parallel for 8.25 ohms.
0.570 uF series capacitance which is one 630V 0.47uF Wima MKS 4 in parallel with a mystery yellow axial 0.1uF 1000V 0.1uF

so 8 and a bit ohms 0.570uF and a FT17H in series, tweeter is out of phase.

I am using a borrowed modified Mr Liang 35Wx2 push pull amp with EL34 output tubes. Drives them nicely with enough power to exceed Xmax.

Now to see how they sound on my H.K. high damping factor SS amp, probably terrible.

Tags:

Fe207E and FT17H crossover

by Bert @, Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 16:11 (6107 days ago) @ MikeH

Mike,

Thanks for sharing....when will we get some nice pictures of your Singular system? :wink:

Now to see how they sound on my H.K. high damping factor SS amp, probably
terrible.

Let me guess...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by MikeH @, Thursday, August 02, 2007, 01:45 (6106 days ago) @ Bert
edited by unknown, Thursday, August 02, 2007, 02:16

[image]

they aren't pretty. If she gets used to these she might welcome some horns.

There is a piece of thick felt stuck on the FE207E near the tweeter to try to soften the flat edge and reduce reflections.

They certainly do sound thin and harsh with the SS amp. I will try adding an ohm or two in series to reduce the damping factor and get some bass back. I'm in the market for a second hand amplifier if you hear of anything nice (and cheap) in Australia. I don't think the owner wants to part with his Mr Liang which has had a lot of work done to it.

I might try the Mamboni/ENABL treatment on the cones next.

Tags:

by MikeH @, Thursday, August 02, 2007, 02:02 (6106 days ago) @ MikeH

here is my high pass filter for the tweeter. I use one 4 core cable to the amplifier and one four core cable to each speaker, amplifier on this side is white and orange, the tweeter is white and orange, the fullrange is red and blue.
Can anyone identify the yellow capacitor?

You can see my home made interconnects here too. high purity silver plated copper, double screened and all insulation in Teflon. It is 50 ohm RG400 coax cable, you would fall off your chair if I told you how cheap this cable is. This 70cm cable is only 62pF.

[img]images/uploaded/image315.jpg[/img]

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Friday, August 03, 2007, 20:59 (6104 days ago) @ MikeH

Two tips for Your filter:
Try using the low inductivity Caddock resistors - I use them in x-overs with good results. Also a small about 1000pF Styroflex- Capacitor paralell to the Film-capacitors You use.
It´s not expensive, but worth a try.
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

by MikeH @, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 04:32 (6104 days ago) @ madprofessor

Thanks Stephan, I have very limited electronic supplies where I am (think of Siberia but hot), that is why I used 4 in parallel for less inductance. When I order some good resistors I will get the capacitors you suggested also.

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 11:39 (6104 days ago) @ MikeH

When You try to get good caddock resistors, maybe Yo will get them at: www.rsonline.de - I think they are an international company and ship worldwide at low costs.
About the Styrofley-capacitors - try to get old ones - theydon´t drift anymore and are of better quality!
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

by Bert @, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 12:14 (6104 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi Stephan (and Mike)

Try using the low inductivity Caddock resistors - I use them in x-overs
with good results. Also a small about 1000pF Styroflex- Capacitor paralell
to the Film-capacitors You use.

A much better sounding resistor is a Duelund (16 Euro each) which I also use in my system(s). And if you can afford it, use their VSF capacitors....(even a small one in parallel will make the difference.

These Duelunds are the "least" sounding components ever as if there are no components used at all... (never liked Styroflex, probably because these are not stable).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by MikeH @, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 13:15 (6104 days ago) @ Bert

I think I should get my amplifier sorted before I buy good parts for this filter. It might change with a different amp.

What would be a good 25 to 50 watt amplifier for 600 euro? I don't mind if I have to build it myself. My electricity is 240 Volts.

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Saturday, August 04, 2007, 15:25 (6104 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!
Thanks for Your Tip - I didn´t know the Duelund resistors/capacitors - but I´ll try them.
That´s the reason, I enjoy this forum so much - always new ideas to pick up!

Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread