Wow... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 23:35 (6072 days ago)

My system made a huge jump towards perfection the last few days.

One is the Ultimate Subwoofer dialed in very nicely now adding MUCH more than I ever expected and the other one is the latest version of XXHighEnd.

Never heard a digital source sounding sooooooo sweat, clean and detailed at the same time! The new feature giving the option to dial in the Quality settings control that suits my system best is a major breakthrough!

Puh...I will be busy playing many, many records the coming weeks! :cool:

Happy Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Wow...

by JAM @, Friday, August 17, 2007, 09:23 (6069 days ago) @ Bert

Good to hear about such quantum leaps, they rarely happen with installations already pretty highly strung......

Now for the question: You state that you use 32 X 12" Beyma's in the sub setup. In the old days we learnt that it was not good to connect speakers in series - is this not so much an issue with subs or...??

Tags:

Wow...

by Bert @, Friday, August 17, 2007, 09:46 (6069 days ago) @ JAM

Hi Jam,

Now for the question: You state that you use 32 X 12" Beyma's in the sub
setup. In the old days we learnt that it was not good to connect speakers
in series - is this not so much an issue with subs or...??

It is much less critical for subs even if the coils in series act like a 6dB filter which is way above the used frequency range (<27Hz). You do loose sensitivity by connecting the drivers in series and the individual control of the driver is less (hence the choice for a low Qts driver). Best would be to connect all drivers in parallel but this is not possible in this situation as the total impedance will then be 8/16 ohms and an amplifier can't handle that. Using more amplifiers for each pair of drivers would cure that problem though....

Still, by combining indentical drivers used in series (4 drivers having the same TS parameters with Rdc as most important one) and these as quads connected in parallel works well. Loosing 6dB when connected in series is a disadvantage but the amount of quads used gives more than enough total sensitivity for the purpose... :grin:

Bert

--

Tags:

Wow...

by GC, Friday, August 17, 2007, 09:57 (6069 days ago) @ Bert

Yes yes..and of top of that when serial coils again are paralelled we come back to the original 1 drivers AC-inductance at a stated Rdc.

And who dares to throw in a 100 kg impedance match-trafo to make 32 paralelled drivers look like one and further use it for subs only. Only tube amp manufactores normally "dare" that trafo nessecity. :grin:

GC

Tags:

Wow...

by JAM @, Friday, August 17, 2007, 18:20 (6069 days ago) @ GC

Guess I'm off to buy myself 32 drivers then...:evil:

Tags:

Wow...

by GC, Friday, August 17, 2007, 20:30 (6069 days ago) @ JAM
edited by GC, Friday, August 17, 2007, 20:34

Hi Jam...

I'll visit Bert next weekend to be "shaken not sturred". Cheers :drinks:

Will of course post a small report as usual.

I'm buying a new house these days with a dedicated cost no object studio for my audio.

If I like what I feel at Berts place I intend to incorporate floor to cealing triangular corner fillers stuffed with 4 x 12 = 48 woofers there. * Then I can regard the corner problems solved. Can't I?

But let's se how it all turns out.

GC

* Hehehe Bert. Mine is bigger than yours....:lol:

Tags:

Wow...

by Bert @, Friday, August 17, 2007, 21:43 (6069 days ago) @ GC

If you're small with other things than some people feel the urge to compensate for that... :strong:

Bert

--

Tags:

Wow...

by GC, Friday, August 17, 2007, 22:29 (6069 days ago) @ Bert
edited by GC, Friday, August 17, 2007, 22:45

If you're small with other things than some people feel the urge to
compensate for that... :strong:

Bert

As you see...my problem is big:

[img]images/uploaded/image322.jpg[/img]
[img]images/uploaded/image324.jpg[/img]

All together 3.43 liters of displacement.

Happy "way off topic" evening to all.

GC :heart:

Tags:

Then I must be well off...

by Ivo, Saturday, August 18, 2007, 01:48 (6068 days ago) @ Bert

...as I only have one 12" driver in my subwoofer. :cool:

Seriously though, I finished my corner Schmacks for a 12" driver out of softboard this week. I am very pleased with it. It's too soon to passs judgement, but it has a nice even and coherent sound. It goes quite deep and really moves air instead of sounding like a speaker doing its best. It has a warm and round sound, but I'm not done integrating it into the rest of the system yet. The subjective sound character may change during finetuning. I don't think there is something terribly wrong, since it plays symphonic music well and realistically.

The softboard is really interesting. It vibrates and eats some dynamics I think (used the driver before in horns, remember more punch), but the cabinet doesn't *resonate*, which I think is really important.

I have some things to sort out to make it sound like one system again, but I like the direction I am heading. :cool:

Ivo

Tags:

Wow...

by JAM @, Monday, August 20, 2007, 11:00 (6066 days ago) @ GC

Size is not important - it's more about meters pr. second.......:whistle:

Tags:

Wow...

by GC, Monday, August 20, 2007, 21:01 (6066 days ago) @ JAM

Only 60 m/sec. :holiday: But quality meters. :grin:

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread