Speaker protection... (BD-Design)

by samoore @, Monday, August 27, 2007, 21:46 (6084 days ago)

Hi Everyone,

I have been enjoying my Oris Compact system for a few years now. Recently we had an addition to the family and he is growing fast! He should be mobile very soon, and I am finding myself very worried about the health of my speakers. :shame: I was wondering if there is a preferred method to cover the BD15s to protect them from little probing fingers, thrown toys, etc? Hopefully something that is both strong, visually pleasing and as sonically transparent as possible.

Thanks all!

Steve

Tags:

Speaker protection...

by Bert @, Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 23:46 (6083 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

Recently we had an addition to the family and he is growing fast! He
should be mobile very soon, and I am finding myself very worried about the
health of my speakers. :shame: I was wondering if there is a preferred
method to cover the BD15s to protect them from little probing fingers,
thrown toys, etc? Hopefully something that is both strong, visually
pleasing and as sonically transparent as possible.

It will never be visual pleasing and acoustically transparent but you could make anything for using it during the day and when you want to listen seriously (the kid should then be in bed anyhow...) then you can take it off?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Speaker protection...

by samoore @, Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 07:01 (6083 days ago) @ Bert
edited by unknown, Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 07:04

That is a good idea Bert, probably the safest option. Unfortunately my system gets a lot of use for radio, TV, movies, etc. We use it nearly every night, so I was hoping for something that doesn't need to be removed except for critical listening. I have seen some cloth grills that can be made, but you have to drill holes in the cabinets to mount them. I wonder if velcro would work just as well.

Steve

Tags:

Speaker protection...

by Bert @, Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 08:03 (6083 days ago) @ samoore

That is a good idea Bert, probably the safest option. Unfortunately my
system gets a lot of use for radio, TV, movies, etc. We use it nearly
every night, so I was hoping for something that doesn't need to be removed
except for critical listening. I have seen some cloth grills that can be
made, but you have to drill holes in the cabinets to mount them. I wonder
if velcro would work just as well.

Using cloth made for loudspeakers does not hold back the sound too much, it is only low frequencies coming from the BD15's, so for use it with cover during the day or with movies is not an issue and won't hurt the sound by much. You can hear it but it won't change your speakers into hifi... :wink:

Velcro can be used but the "sticky" half should be glued to the enclosure. There are also pins available (male/female) you can also use which does mean drilling. It will then look cleaner with the cover removed though.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Speaker protection...

by MikeH @, Saturday, September 01, 2007, 12:38 (6079 days ago) @ Bert

Depending on the shape of the outside edge of the BD15 you can make a ring covered in cloth, drill recesses in the back and fill these with neodymium magnets to stick onto the BD15 mounting screws.

Or put the horns on them with a sock over the front secured by a drawstring (ugly)

Buy 2 of those baby jails that is for a child to play inside, but put them around your speakers. (also good for standing inside when doing the ironing)

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread