PC playback and noisy mains (Off Topic)

by unknown, Friday, September 07, 2007, 10:57 (6069 days ago)

With PC playback, should we be thinking more about the quality of the mains electricity?

I believe computers (and DACS) put rubbish back into the mains which is obviously capable of affecting other bits of kit.

Many mains 'smoothers' also have circuits to stop any crosstalk between bits of kit. Is this something that should be taken seriously?

Tags:

PC playback and noisy mains

by Bert @, Friday, September 07, 2007, 11:26 (6069 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Chris,

With PC playback, should we be thinking more about the quality of the mains
electricity?

Yes, even more! Best solution is to connect the PC to another mains group (with a good earth) so this is the least effective giving back "dirt" and keep it at a distance from the hifi equiment (same for battery powered laptops as their switching power supply and the processor itself will radiate noise...

Another thing to think about is the actual connection made between the PC and the DAC where the grounds are connected (this is why a good earth on the PC is so important!). With the TwinDAC+ the PC is decoupled from the DAC galvanically but most USB or whatever DAC's are always connected this way and that gives disturbing floating voltages between both components.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by unknown, Friday, September 07, 2007, 12:20 (6069 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert

their switching power supply and the processor itself will radiate noise...

Forgive my ignorance, but are all these types of transformers of the power switching type? If so I have something like 19 of these devices in my house:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

Tags:

by Bert @, Friday, September 07, 2007, 12:54 (6069 days ago) @ unknown

Forgive my ignorance, but are all these types of transformers of the power
switching type? If so I have something like 19 of these devices in my house.

Don't forget the saving lights, dimmers....

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by unknown, Friday, September 07, 2007, 13:04 (6069 days ago) @ Bert

OK make that 24:shame: I'm surprised my kit sounds any good at all:grin:

Tags:

by GC, Friday, September 07, 2007, 13:48 (6069 days ago) @ unknown

OK make that 24:shame: I'm surprised my kit sounds any good at all:grin:

Oh my God! I have 100. :shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame:

GC

Tags:

by leifchristensen @, Friday, September 07, 2007, 16:51 (6068 days ago) @ Bert

or use an optical usb cable.....
permits up to 40 meters and isolates pc from dac as well
best
Leif
Norway

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Friday, September 07, 2007, 12:03 (6069 days ago) @ unknown

Hallo Chris!

To my experience filtering is very important. There is a lot of "dirt" on the line - maybe not generated in your house, butalso outside. especially switching power supplies up from handy-chargers can generatea lot of dirt.

My solution is, first I take good, oversized transformers to decouple galvanically. For preamps and sorces I generate first a stable 24 V DC, buffered with a load of batteries. These Voltage I use to generatea very clean and distortion-free AC-line.

Next to the sensitive equipment, I build an own filter, , where each filter is matched to the unit that uses it.

Maybe a bit of overkill, but works quite nice!

See attached photos.

Best regards
Stephan
[img]images/uploaded/image329.jpg[/img][img]images/uploaded/image330.jpg[/img]

Tags:

by unknown, Friday, September 07, 2007, 14:23 (6069 days ago) @ madprofessor

Impressive.:wink:

I've been looking at this bit of kit. It's had some good reviews, but is nearly a grand :shame:

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, September 07, 2007, 17:29 (6068 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Chris,

Since you talk about DACs as well, this is what's needed for that :

[img]images/uploaded/image332.jpg[/img]

(ferrite core)

I tried to search for these separate "RF stoppers" from Audio Quest, but it looks like they're not sold separately anymore. Maybe other brands.
You can keep your own good power cables this way.

Note that this is about high frequency sh*t a DAC or laser from a CDP would throw out on the net. They are a must have.

Also note that galvanic separation is in another leage and for different problems. The RF stoppers are to prevent high frequency noise on the net, "read back" by your other equipment. So the *sending* devices must have one.

Put your PC in a separated mains net (as is distributed near your front door) *and* have it galvanicaly separated at the digital link (or interlink) level from the DAC, and that's solved too. (oh ..., Bert said that as well I see now)

HTH
Peter

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread