At last.... (Drive Units)

by Bert @, Friday, September 21, 2007, 11:15 (6055 days ago)

It took a while but I just received my first pairs of Hemp Acoustics drive units....just in time!

They look very good, the overall finish is excellent which is something I did not expect for drive units in that price range. Not stamped steel but nicely casted Aluminum baskets without "ringing" while knocking them and well threated cones/surrounds sounding nice when touching them.

Something to explore further as they passed the first test! :cool:

Will keep you'll posted,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

At last....

by angeloitacare, Saturday, September 22, 2007, 04:28 (6054 days ago) @ Bert

from LyGC Olsons thread at

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100392&highlight=

The Hemp Acoustics 12 and 15 drivers are in fact my first choices for the new project - I am awaiting specs for the horn and bass unit to evaluate their suitability. Hemp-composite cones have much less breakup and "cone cry" coloration than anything else I've heard so far - I surmise the hemp is tougher, more elastic, and more resistant to failure modes than paper, carbon-fiber, or other synthetics. I've always been impressed that ropes strong enough to hold ocean liners were made of hemp. That isn't a light-duty application!

rds Angelo

Tags:

At last....

by GC, Saturday, September 22, 2007, 08:46 (6054 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Hahaha

Should it all fail, then just stuff it in your pipe and smoke it....:grin:

GC :cool:

Tags:

At last....

by Frode, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 16:39 (6053 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Have you seen this?

Frode

Tags:

At last....

by Bert @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 17:53 (6053 days ago) @ Frode

They renewed their page....now I see. Seems that we will have two camps where each company is collecting as much "followers" to proof their point.

This does not prove anything to me at this point though as most companies in this ***** commercial world, with all respect, are not 100% trustworthy and fully honest.

Did Omega sell the drivers from Hemp Acoustics before and stopped using them or were they simply never using their drivers in the first place?

Still, I am not happy with this situation and will back out now I still can without choosing any party in this matter until their fight is settled.

This means that there will be no Hemp whatsoever sold through me (how can I give service this way?) simply because one is accused in public (no public defence which I can understand) and the other one starting this public fight which, within reason, I can understand also.

Both companies are therefore very low on my priority list and will not get any support from me until it is clear to me who is to blame for this confusion.

Bert

--

Tags:

At last....

by Ivo, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 17:58 (6053 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

I understand. But... Do you already have some listening experiences with the drivers you do have?...

Just being curious... :wink:

Ivo

Tags:

At last....

by Bert @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 18:24 (6053 days ago) @ Ivo

Hi Ivo,

I understand. But... Do you already have some listening experiences with
the drivers you do have?...

Nope, no time for a while as other things are much higher on the priority list.

Bert

--

Tags:

On second thoughts...

by Bert @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 19:00 (6053 days ago) @ Bert

...drivers coming from Hemp Acoustics are not the same and made elsewhere as coming from the other party (I keep forgetting that name...). As long as I receive the drivers when ordered and they are technically okay then there is no reason for me not to sell them.

There are two parties manufacturing independently drivers using the same material for the cones as base material. Something similar to paper as used on 90% of drivers with a cone... and since I am not part of the legal BS and nobody legally forbids me to sell.

If the drivers are sounding good then this is enough reason for me to promote and sell them as long as I do not spend too much money on them by keeping my stock low.

Bert

--

Tags:

At last....

by fu_man @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 02:35 (6053 days ago) @ Bert

seems like you have just got rid of the hassles surrounding being an AER dealer.... perhaps you should proceed with caution:

http://www.hemp-acoustics.com/
Omega Loudspeakers have confirmed their disassociation with this company

Tags:

At last....

by Bert @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 15:17 (6053 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi Fu_man,

I have seen that page and the confusion around it. It seems something similar to the AER scene... :fishy:

I don't know what the truth is here as I am just starting to explore.

To me it seems that both make drivers using Hemp as base material and work in parallel where one is claming the same as the other one. It is always easy to spread bad news around the web just to hurt the other party...

Perhaps deserved, I can't tell at this moment (only time will!)

From where did you received the information about Omega?

Bert

--

Tags:

At last....

by Cappy @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 19:10 (6053 days ago) @ Bert

At last....

by Bert @, Sunday, September 23, 2007, 19:22 (6053 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

Thanks for the "deeper" insight of the story...

It made me feel better!

Bert

--

Tags:

At last....

by GC, Tuesday, September 25, 2007, 09:08 (6051 days ago) @ Bert

Good morning Bert,

I like this "Anti-Hemp" website because I was ripped by Perry too! We know each other from the German DIY fair: Die Boxen Baustelle.

I introduced Hemp in Germany two years ago and after shipments with defective drivers + a lot of "nice talkings" with Perry + false replacement shipments I stopped my efforts and still have a 1000 Euro bill open!

Regards
Thorsten :no:

Tags:

At last....

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 10:38 (6050 days ago) @ GC

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the info, always good to know about experiences from other.

My advantage (so it seems) is that I do not do business with Perry directly but with their European distributor. I only order from their stock if I need some drivers...

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread