A different approach to the Oris Reference (BD-Design)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 09:35 (6000 days ago)

A different approach to the Oris Reference System:

2005, at the High End Show in Munich, I had the opportunity to hear several good rigs – a Kharma/Wavac, a Avalon/Pass and a Lumen White/Ayon chain. All impressed me with the way of reproduction, they did. All had in common, that they used the Thiel ceramic chassis. Unfortunately all lacked a bit of dynamics. So my idea was to use spherical horns in front of the Thiel chassis. But I didn´t find a solution for the bass, till I found the page of bd-design.
The bass-system of the Reference Ultra seemed theoretical the perfect match.

Now the system is completed. Using the alloy.-profiles from Bosch-Rexroth gives the opportunity to get the single systems exactly adjusted for phase response at my listening position. Also that way, tweeter and midrange can be mechanical decoupled from the whole structure ( for the tweeter I use a small, heavy box, which rests on springs, the much more heavy midrange unit sits on spikes.)
The bass-cabinet looks from the outside like a simple box, but inside there are no parallel walls, by building double walls. The outside is 35mm multiplex. The inside walls create some spaces, which are filled with sand. Than the cabinet is lined with a special alloy-foam, which has two merits: Sound reaching the rather big cabinets is not reflected by a smooth plane and resonances, maybe still existing in the cabinet, are mostly absorbed. I couldn´t measure no of the typical cabinet resonances, with an accelerometer.
Of course the cabinet is a matrix-construction.
Also to avoid reflections, all the horns and other cabinets are covered with 40mm acoustic foam. That gave a real audible improvement in inner detail and room reproduction.
The alloy-profile structure has 4 wheels for easy placement in the right position. After that is found, the whole structure is placed on 3 Absorber-Spikes from Alto Extremo.

The system measures very well. The difference between the two bass-chassis is basically not existing. At that price, they are a real bargain. The Thiel chassis were ordered as tightly matched pairs.

The amplification of the system is a diy-class A solid state amp with a 18dB passive filter in front for the bass and a SET-amp (at the moment a 845-based diy unit, but soon to come a GM70 based better version) for the midrange/tweeter section. The midrange/tweeter section has a passive x-over, without any level matching resistors.

The sound? It´s allway subjective – so I just say, that I´m very satisfied!
I know, optically there are much nicer systems, but I wanted sonically the optimum , so I avoided all the nice looking surfaces…

Thanks to Bert for providing the Horns and bass-chassis and for all his advice!
[image]

Tags:

A different approach to the Oris Reference

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 10:17 (6000 days ago) @ madprofessor

A different approach to the Oris Reference System:

Indeed different but nevertheless, a very nice rig!

Also to avoid reflections, all the horns and other cabinets are covered
with 40mm acoustic foam. That gave a real audible improvement in inner
detail and room reproduction.

I really do like this idea, all indirect reflections coming from the speakers themselves will only disturb clarity and imaging (working a bit as a mirror for only certain frequencies).

Just close your eyes or turn off the light and it does not bother at all! :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Flecko @, Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 19:21 (6000 days ago) @ madprofessor

Very nice system madprofessor!
I guess you are using your books as diffuse reflector? They are ordered like sin(x)...nice :grin:

You just using the Oris 150 from BD,right? What type of highfrequency horn do you use? Is the driver from Thiel too?

Greetings Adrian

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 19:53 (6000 days ago) @ Flecko

Hallo Adrian!

Yes the bookshelfes are used as diffusors. Also the shelfes are "tamed" accoustically. Otherwise the boards could rattle or the rear plates get in resonance.
For the midrange I´m using a relatively heavy ceramic horn with a Thiel driver.
For the high frequencies I´m also using a Thiel driver with an epoxy horn. That horn is basically meant for a 2" driver and a cut off frequency of 400 Hz. Only reason for that choice was, that the resinhorn used before ( cut off frequency 2kHz and much smaller) never performed as I wanted it. I came to the conclusion, that all mouthopenings of the horns should more or less be in one plane. At least that was confirmed by listening tests in my listening position.
All the measurements, like pulse response, frequenccy response, phase, etc I do, I only refer to my listening position.
The bass-horn is an Oris 150 with a BD-15 driver.
Total weight of one speaker is about 400 kg. Whatever could resonate is damped!
Complete rig attaced as photo.
X-over frequencies: 380 Hz( 18 dB bass, 12 db midrange), 3,5 kHz (both 12 dB)
Best regards
Stephan
[image]

Tags:

by Flecko @, Thursday, November 15, 2007, 19:33 (5999 days ago) @ madprofessor

Very nice Stephan,
I like this combination of the horns. I am planing to make a loudspeaker alike and I am still not sure which chassis I use. The Thiel ceramics are interesting. My system should use just two horns with additional subwoofer in closed or open baffle enclosure. Now you gave me an idea. Perhaps you know the Corda from HobbyHifi. TheY used a midrange driver for the highs down to 2000Hz. The Midrange-tweeter perhaps performs in a relatively big horn down to 700-1000Hz. Do You live near Frankfurt? Perhaps you could give me the pleasure to hear your creation?
Greetings Adrian

Tags:

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, November 15, 2007, 19:41 (5999 days ago) @ Flecko

Hallo Adrian!
I´m located near Bremen/Delmenhorst. But You are welcome, in case You want to listen to my System. I know tthe Corda-project of hobby hifi. Also a way to go...
What I think, is important, to have also in the bass a horn, like the Oris!

Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

by Flecko @, Thursday, November 15, 2007, 20:13 (5999 days ago) @ madprofessor

Bremen is far...It's a pity. But thanks that I could.
Greetings Adrian

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread