Singular driver recommendation (Singular)

by helmand @, Friday, November 30, 2007, 20:31 (5985 days ago)

Hello Bert,

thank you for sharing your knowledge! I com back to this forum once a while and it is always quite interesting to read about your new developments.

My question is about drivers for the singular speakers. I have build them a while ago using Fe 206 drive units. I'm quite satisfied but still looking for improvement. Which driver would you recommend for an update?

Hemp Acoustics?
Fostex F200A?
AER MK I
Others?

How would you describe the difference in sound? Is for the mentioned drivers a IQ network required (For the AER I have read you would suggest it - which values?)

Do you still sell the AER drivers and are the Hemp Acoustics drivers already available?

Thank you for your support

Helmand

Tags:

Singular driver recommendation

by Bert @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 14:31 (5982 days ago) @ helmand

Hello Helmand,

Sorry for the slow reply....

looking for improvement. Which driver would you recommend for an update?

Hemp Acoustics?
Fostex F200A?
AER MK I
Others?

The Hemp is a good choice (according to other people, did not have a change to listen to them myself).
The Fostex F200A is doing very well compared to the Fostex FE206E driver (more "balls" and deeper frequencies). The drivers do have something in their midrange that I do not like though but overall speaking it will sound better than the Fostex FE206(7)E
The AERmkI is a wonderfull driver (with EQ to my taste) but pretty expensive.

An other option and probably the best could be the Feastrex but those will be even more costly.

The Visaton B200 works well though..

Let me know what you prefer in the sound and how much you want to spend, then I can give you an more or less optimal suggestion from the list...

Do you still sell the AER drivers and are the Hemp Acoustics drivers
already available?

I do not sell the AER drivers and the Hemp drivers are not yet here for reselling (haven't ordered any either as I first want to test them myself).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by helmand @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 21:55 (5982 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

I'm afraid the AER units are too expensive. Nevertheless I had a conversation with Filip Keller an he recommended the MD 1B or MD 2B. What are your thoughts on this recommondation?
What will be the price range for the Hemp drivers? The maximum I might be willing to spend will be the will price of the F200a. But I'm not quite sure If the improvement is worth the money. I migh consider going for a AER.

As you can see I'm not really decided yet and will and wait for your experiences with Hemp drivers. Your thoughts and recommondations are higly wellcome!

Helmand

Tags:

by Bert @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 22:33 (5982 days ago) @ helmand

Hello Helmand,

I'm afraid the AER units are too expensive. Nevertheless I had a
conversation with Filip Keller an he recommended the MD 1B or MD 2B. What
are your thoughts on this recommondation?

I have tried those but I can't support that recommendation. Sure, the sound is more "fluid" with the B drivers but they miss a bit the reality feeling being too soft and too friendly sounding.

Like a beautifull lady to look at and get "horny" but then not being allowed to touch her to find out if see is for real...

What will be the price range for the Hemp drivers? The maximum I might be
willing to spend will be the will price of the F200a. But I'm not quite
sure If the improvement is worth the money. I migh consider going for a
AER.

The Hemp F8RC will be around 226 Euro the pair (plus VAT and shipping). It will not have the resolution of the AERmkI but it will be in balance on its own, and better than the FE206E's from listening to the naked driver... :yes:

As you can see I'm not really decided yet and will and wait for your
experiences with Hemp drivers. Your thoughts and recommondations are higly
wellcome!

If all works out well then it should not be long now...some last issues have to be cleared first after which things will accelerate fast!

Bert

--

Tags:

by helmand @, Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 20:52 (5981 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

thank you for your recommendations. I will wait until the hemp drivers are for sale. Or does anyone sell a used pair of AER MK1?

Helmand

Tags:

by helmand @, Sunday, December 16, 2007, 20:33 (5969 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you for advising suitible drivers. I will get a pair of MK1 for a reasnable price and will also get the chance to compare it with the md 1b. For a fair comparison, wich values do you use for the EQ? To you also sell the parts needed for the EQ (I do already feel bad because I`m asking you for advice and up to now not buying anything).

Wich values do other singular users prefer with AER MK1?

helmand

Tags:

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 12:09 (5967 days ago) @ helmand

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=10191

--

Tags:

by helmand @, Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 19:54 (5967 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you! I have noticed this thread but wasn't sure if this filter also works well with a non-hybrid AER MK1

Helmand

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread