Will I even learn ? (BD-Design)

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 20:48 (5987 days ago)

I am afraid that I am reknowned for changing my mind.
Although this is the case, at the same time I become more and more critical. Moreover, my ear/mind combination is getting less forgiving, and gives me less time.
So in other words, if I turn on a system and it doesn't sound right in the first minute or so; I am better off forgetting this.

Next to my Orphean, I was constructing a traditional 2 way speaker for in the living room. But I am struggling to get the sound right; but I will optimise this to the best I can.
But as I waiting for my other amplifier, I need to move my amplifier around.
So the amplfier was connected up to my Orpheans Mk1 yesterdayafternoon, after a long time.
The difference was tremendous, and it was great to listen to the Orphean (again). The sound is of a different kind; sorry, I don't want to repeat myself, but the ease, the speed, the dynamics ... aaahh, I love it.

PS. In the meantime I listen to various high-end traditional speakers, but this home-coming-feeling to the Orphean is magnificent.

But, there is a but ... I still have somehow the buzz in my mind that I (believe I) had with my PM2A in the ORIS150.
So I want to pick this system up as well, with a second hand set of Lowthers in my ORIS150.

Has anyone else this nagging feeling that the ORIS with Lowther/AER had some aspects that were seductive? Or is this an incorrect memory?
I am curious to hear some other thoughts on this.

Rudolf

Tags:

Don't think so...

by Bert @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 22:21 (5987 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

Has anyone else this nagging feeling that the ORIS with Lowther/AER had
some aspects that were seductive? Or is this an incorrect memory?

Yes, they are seductive. I still build systems with the Oris 150 and it has a nice "thing".... :yes:

But after a little while I start to miss the other goodies which only the Orphean brings (the MkII even more!)...in combination with a good integrated bass system of course.

Without bass or even when not tuned well I can understand the feeling, something is missing..., only then I like the 150's more for sounding complete.

What you'll need is a good bass system which is well integrated, then you will forget the Oris 150 with the Lowther/AER within a few minutes...that's a promise.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

I guess not ...

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 23:29 (5986 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Rudolf,

Has anyone else this nagging feeling that the ORIS with Lowther/AER had
some aspects that were seductive? Or is this an incorrect memory?

Yes, they are seductive. I still build systems with the Oris 150 and it
has a nice "thing".... :yes:

But after a little while I start to miss the other goodies which only the
Orphean brings (the MkII even more!)...in combination with a good
integrated bass system of course.

Without bass or even when not tuned well I can understand the feeling,
something is missing..., only then I like the 150's more for sounding
complete.

What you'll need is a good bass system which is well integrated, then you
will forget the Oris 150 with the Lowther/AER within a few
minutes...that's a promise.

Bert

Bert,

Thanks.

Yes, you are (of course) right about the bass system.
Here I go again :blush: but there must be something that is 'lost' in the filter of the Orphean compared to the filterless Lowther/AER.
Maybe the slightly lower speed of the Lowther/AER gives and a more diffusive soundstage will generate a more blanket-feeling (sorry, I couldn't think of another term) :confused:

Rudolf

Tags:

I guess not ...

by Bert @, Monday, December 03, 2007, 23:39 (5986 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

Yes, you are (of course) right about the bass system.

Sure I am, you need the balance and if 50% of the sound is not there then it is like driving a Ferrari without tires...

Here I go again :blush: but there must be something that is 'lost' in the
filter of the Orphean compared to the filterless Lowther/AER.

No, it is about balance where the Oris 150 gives more lower frequencies and a sort of mid-bass giving warmth to the sound. This warmth to bring things back into balance should now be given by the bass system and that is what you are missing...

Listening to just the Orphean is to me similar as "sleeping" in a cold bedroom without a blanket on top of me....

Come over to my place (soon!) to hear the Orphean MkII as used today within the Swing system - you are not living that far away - and then you'll know for sure that you will need to finish your bass system...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

hopeless case ...

by Rudolf150 @, Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 19:52 (5986 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Yes, the bass ... the foundation.
But if without the bass the sound is OK - you remember the tests with the D class amps only running the Orpheans, when it became very obvious what the real character of the amps were ? - then I am enjoying myself already immensely.

I am recalling that the Oris wit Lowther was more fluent, more analog, more organic, ... is this a correct memory?
Does this ring a bell?

Thanks for the invitation to hear the latest developments. I am more than happy to be seduced :grin:

Rudolf

Tags:

Case solved

by GC, Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 20:02 (5986 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Rodolf...

Go go go go as fast as you can. :satisfied:

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread