Klipschorn 2way ? (Oris Horns)

by seti @, Sunday, December 09, 2007, 17:27 (5982 days ago)

I have been trying to find a horn driver combo that would help me in my goal to make Klipschorns 2way. There are lots of mods to replace the k400 and k77 but that is not good enough. If these great speakers are to be changed it must be as a two way. I need a horn that can go from 400hz up to cover the tweeter. Also I don't want to use active xover with lots of eq. Is there an Oris horn that can do this for me? I see lots of La Scala bass horns being used so I am very curious about these horns.

Any advice much appreciated.

Tags:

Klipschorn 2way ?

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, December 09, 2007, 19:30 (5982 days ago) @ seti

High Seti,

For several years I have quite enjoyed the bass horns of Klipschorns in a two way alignment with Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s. Before the AERs I used Lowther PM4s with AER cones. The AERs sound much better.

Instead of the purist/minimalist approach on crossovers you wish to pursue I have chosen to folliow a much different path. I biamplify with a DEQX PDC 2.6P digital preamp/crossover. In addition to other functions such as room correction, phase correction, etc. the DEQX provides it also allows me to achieve very precise time alignment between the Klipsch bass horns and the Oris horns despite the fact that the two horns for each channel are nearly two meters apart. This, of course, allows the bass horns to be properly placed in corners and the Oris horns to be placed out in the room for best imaging and diminished room interaction. I haven't tried it, but I suspect that placing the Oris horns atop the Klipschorns back in a corner would seriously compromise their sonics.

I realize my arrangment is not what you are planning to put together, but hopefully you find find at least something in this epistle to be of interest. My Klipsch bass horns and Oris 150 horns blend very seamlessly and provide a marvelously detailed, transparent, dynamic, nonfatiguing, musical and emotionally involving system.

Good Listening,
Don Reid

P.S. I wish you the very best of luck in your search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

Tags:

Klipschorn 2way ?

by seti @, Monday, December 10, 2007, 00:24 (5981 days ago) @ Don Reid

That is very interesting. I will do a little more research into your suggestions.

THANK YOU

Tags:

Klipschorn 2way ?

by Bert @, Sunday, December 09, 2007, 22:07 (5981 days ago) @ seti

I have been trying to find a horn driver combo that would help me in my
goal to make Klipschorns 2way. There are lots of mods to replace the k400
and k77 but that is not good enough. If these great speakers are to be
changed it must be as a two way. I need a horn that can go from 400hz up
to cover the tweeter. Also I don't want to use active xover with lots of
eq. Is there an Oris horn that can do this for me? I see lots of La Scala
bass horns being used so I am very curious about these horns.

The Orphean as complete package would be a good solution which even can be crossed lower than 400Hz (270Hz as standard) which means that the Klipsch will need an extended bass filter to create the needed 24dB slope to meet the Orphean.

The only remaining "problem" would be to attenuate the Orphean as its sensitivity will probably be too high compared to the Klipsch but this could be done though...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Klipschorn 2way ?

by seti @, Monday, December 10, 2007, 00:32 (5981 days ago) @ Bert

I really like the Khorn bass horn sound and 400hz is where I would like to cross it. Just looked at the sensitivity of the Oris systems.....JEEPERS. That is high! Paul Klipsch preached increased sensitivity and lower distortion for speakers It seems the oris system has that in spades. I wish there was one of these systems near by to demo. A few months ago I was able to demo the Klipschorn Jubilee in Hope Arkansas which is a two way system at about 107db @ 1watt 1meter. The one thing I've noticed with horns is the more efficient they are the more amazing they sound.

Tags:

Klipschorn 2way ?

by joespride @, Monday, December 24, 2007, 03:03 (5967 days ago) @ seti

i have a friend using the k-horn bass bin, with the oris 150 and aer md2 drivers the results are phenominal so much so in fact i have fashioned my system after his............:grin: Joe

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread