How low does it go ? (Off Topic)

by angeloitacare, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 13:44 (5953 days ago)

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 15:47 (5953 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Greetings to your neighbours.

They do not have problems with me... :cool:

Thanks for the list, I do have some of those and several others as I found out since I am using my subs... :scared1:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 19:52 (5953 days ago) @ Bert

Wait until you hear mine Bert. Not good for the neighbours, not good for you, not good for your room. :biglol:
But maybe good to extra burn-in of your sub.

Peter

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 20:42 (5953 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Wait until you hear mine Bert.

nnew ones or the same you already have? :confused:

Bert

--

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 21:29 (5953 days ago) @ Bert

New. :blrrr:

Actually, I can't play them. Bad for the house, the nerves, and everything.

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 22:19 (5953 days ago) @ PeterSt.

New. :blrrr:

Okay...

Actually, I can't play them. Bad for the house, the nerves, and everything.

Why? :confused:

--

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 03:22 (5952 days ago) @ Bert

Actually, I can't play them. Bad for the house, the nerves, and

everything.

Why? :confused:

Because -somehow- when albums really are about showing off sub lows they do that so excessively that nothing can be heard and only be felt. So, either when it's about a 4 minute track that goes humpf humpf all the time for a "rythm", or has constant tones in the inaudible area, it's about shaking the house only. Besides that, any humpf for a rythm is so "slow" for decay (the house needs a couple of 100 of ms to die out) that this is not about music anymore.
All is unlike with movies, where e.g. a bomb goes together with a decay you can visualize (a blast just doesn't last 50ms). So, it appears to me there's just no "music" in that area and all what you hear is, say, fake.

Besides all it really is dangerous. "The house is shaking" is no joke. It really happens, and with powers unheard. Also note that with constant - or slighly vibrating tones, the whole lot can go into a resonance being GC times stronger than the base SPL.

Maybe someone can do the math on the actual power (expressed in bhp :cool:) that's going on with, say, 100dB SPL @ 16 Hz. I mean, I myself wouldn't be able to move a massive door of 300x93x3.7cm 16 times per second back and forth in their sleeves, let alone the 8 doors around my living room doing that all together, including the veranda outside which must weigh 10,000 Kg at least, the only thing being able to move that being the house itself.

GC's story is true, I'm sure (I think I even recall the event).

Peter

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 10:21 (5952 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

Because -somehow- when albums really are about showing off sub lows they
do that so excessively that nothing can be heard and only be felt. So,
either when it's about a 4 minute track that goes humpf humpf all the time
for a "rythm", or has constant tones in the inaudible area, it's about
shaking the house only. Besides that, any humpf for a rythm is so "slow"
for decay (the house needs a couple of 100 of ms to die out) that this is
not about music anymore.

I think that this is a problem at your place, your room/house is too weak for its size and therefore highly sensitive to frequencies close to room modes and construction (in a way the walls/ceiling change into speakers...). I do not have real problems with the inaudible so called "humpf" which in my case do add nice effects to the sound. The reveberation time of the low frequencies in my room is pretty short, even organ feels very "natural"....

Besides all it really is dangerous. "The house is shaking" is no joke. It
really happens, and with powers unheard. Also note that with constant - or
slighly vibrating tones, the whole lot can go into a resonance being GC
times stronger than the base SPL.

Yes, this is the room/house/construction doing that and can be pretty dangerous. Now you know why I only use 30Watt for the subs... :grin:

If you would set your subwoofer at a certain frequency (say 16Hz at 80dB outside in free field) and place it back in your room then it will probably play 110dB or even more if that frequency supports room modes. Put the same subwoofer at the same level in my room then it will probably play 92dB at the most and therefore more clean (less fake) and presented as real sub frequencies...

Bert

--

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 11:41 (5952 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

The reveberation time of the low frequencies in my room is pretty short, even organ feels very "natural"....

Haha, but I wasn't talking about (24Hz) organs.
The other things, yeah, could be / will be.

Next time I visit you I'll bring my low-downs; I'll wait outside then. :prankster:
Peter

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 12:50 (5952 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Haha, but I wasn't talking about (24Hz) organs.

Me neither... :no:

Next time I visit you I'll bring my low-downs; I'll wait outside then.

Sounds like fun! :cool:

--

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Rudolf150 @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 13:34 (5952 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hello Peter,

Sounds interesting and threatening.
That is why I do not have the guts to build bass cabinets (I'm actually in the loft with a wooden floor :grin: )

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Rudolf

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by GC, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 13:42 (5952 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hello Peter,

Sounds interesting and threatening.
That is why I do not have the guts to build bass cabinets (I'm actually in
the loft with a wooden floor :grin: )

Rudolf...

You want your 007 drink sturred not shaken, right? :grin:

GC

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 14:46 (5952 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

No ... your bass cabinets for 100% sure won't do any harm.
We are talking very nasty subwoofers here, which REALLY make your trousers move. With normal woofers that won't happen.

So just go ahead with it !
Peter

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by GC, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 22:41 (5953 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Ha Angelo.... Super....:grin:

Woof woof....

It reminds me once Peter Lyndorf and I back in god old times representing Cerwin Vega. We had 4 Earthquake horn mouths facing in each corner and via biamping and the 20 Hz region cranked up 24 db...we smashed the building. People were hurd by lamps falling onto their heads and ambulances came. :shame:

The biggest cinema in Copenhagen were closed for a couple of weeks for repairing the damages, when this set up x 4 were used showing the films "Earthquake" and "The Battle of Britain".

Maybe not a that succesful demo, but...hahahah it was funny.

Subgreetings

GC

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by fu_man @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 02:32 (5952 days ago) @ GC

Angelo.... thanks for the link!

GC... that's hilarious! is it true?

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by GC, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 09:30 (5952 days ago) @ fu_man

Angelo.... thanks for the link!

GC... that's hilarious! is it true?

Yes Fu_man...it *is* true.

Those days, were days where such things actually were stopped by authorities. At least in the cinemas and those films were cerated to use this Cerwin Vega set up to create real physical impact on the audience.
That Peter and I also used a minor number of those horns to shake people at Hifi-shows were a gimmick that sometimes turned out wrong.

The cinemas also after the Copengagen event refused to use this sub-setup. No insurance were willing to pay endemnities to poeple who is tearing down their houses themself!!!!! Obviously.

But those Wega horns boosted that much also made a lot of other colateral damage.

I'm NOT kidding, they could almost tare your trouses off.:blush:

The air moved so much that your eyes were unable to focus on anything!

It's not an art to move sub-frequencies at enourmous mbar levels and it does'nt make music into music I heard in real life. So?

Yes virtual realliy stuff actually started with those kind of effects in the early 80's. Later they found out that mounting hydraulic mechanisms or magnet/coil devices to the chairs could scare people as much without the bulding fell down.

And....thanks God Bert is not using his sub to that extend. Yet. :grin:

GC

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 09:52 (5952 days ago) @ GC

And....thanks God Bert is not using his sub to that extend. Yet. :grin:

I am keeping things do "decent" levels and, luckily, my listening room (not connected to the house) seems to be able to withstand the energy being able to either absorb or being transparent up to a pretty high level... :cool:

I think that if my sub is placed in a normal modern concrete house (with relative weak and resonating walls) playing at the same levels would start to break down the place...dangerous stuff.

Bert

--

Tags:

How low does it go ?

by fu_man @, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 12:51 (5952 days ago) @ GC

:lol: :lol: :biglol:

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread