Feastrex or BMS 4592 ND (Drive Units)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, February 10, 2008, 10:04 (5914 days ago)

Hallo GC!

I just read Your reply about the Feastrex drivers. Could You please highlight a bit more the differences to the Orphean System? I had the pleasure, to listen to that System at Bert's place. I'm very curious to hear, what the Feastrex do different!
The design looks very interesting...
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Feastrex or BMS 4592 ND

by GC, Sunday, February 10, 2008, 10:56 (5914 days ago) @ madprofessor
edited by GC, Sunday, February 10, 2008, 11:01

Dear Steaphan...

But it is almost impossible to compare the Feastrex and Orpheans and I do not really have a vocabulary of words that would tell you anything valuable. :no:

It would be to rave about if Aston Martin is better than Porche :pleasantry:

If you heard a FR driver in a good cabinet, then the Feastrex just does it better than other FR'ers. It's more neutral and musical mainly due to it's 9th generation Japaneese cellulose fiber paper and critical leather dampening surround of the light diaphragm.

You will not find a flat amplitude either here, but the dispertion of the unliniarity is quite different from other FR'ers. A well designed notch and it shows you a rather flat amplitude. The ultrahighs (if we can talk about that) shows more naturalness than others. A cymbal sounds like a cymbal and not just like Tzzrtzzz resonant paper.

But to compare it to Orpheans..ha...they have no chance IMO. But they are more omnidirectional which many likes better than a beamer.

Feastrex are for FR lovers in simple or complex cabinets, likely best for BR cabs evaluated from the TS parameters I meassured.

If you are a FR lover go for them. It's the best. :grin:

But if you are in for real serious stuff, then go for the Orpheans. :cool:

GC

Tags:

Feastrex or BMS 4592 ND

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, February 10, 2008, 12:56 (5914 days ago) @ GC

Hallo GC!

Thanks for Your information!
Full range speakers have there advantages, but basically I first prefer horns, due to the possible dynamics and also to the sound dispersion. It´s no artifical illusion of "room" mainly created by reflections in the listening room.
The Feastrex in a "normal" cabinet - I think, that would not be to my subjective tastes - but in an Oris System? That could be quite a different story!
But that´s a thing to be heard. I expect that Bert sooner or later has a system in display...
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Feastrex or BMS 4592 ND

by Bert @, Sunday, February 10, 2008, 17:38 (5914 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi Stephan,

The Feastrex in a "normal" cabinet - I think, that would not be to my
subjective tastes - but in an Oris System? That could be quite a different
story!

It depends on what people are looking for. They will fit in the Oris horns perfectly well regarding their dimensions but I do not have any idea how they will respond to that. As far as I know is that these drivers can be used in reflex enclosures as stand alone as most simple configuration (small listening rooms) but also in an open baffle system (think Quasar MkII).

But that´s a thing to be heard. I expect that Bert sooner or later has a
system in display...

I will for sure try things out and implement them in existing systems where possible but do not be surprised if there will be a few dedicated systems designed just for those drivers... time will tell! :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread