Ping Tom Russell (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Sunday, February 24, 2008, 12:50 (5878 days ago)

Hi Tom,

Your email box seems to be out of order. I received my email back from your host as undeliverable?

Not sure if your replay address is in order or something else went wrong along the way...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Ping Tom Russell

by Tom Russell @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 13:26 (5877 days ago) @ Bert

Bert

My mail box seems to be working, at least it seems to be working for correspondance other than yours. We've had this problem, going both ways, before and I don't have any explaination as to why my provider doesn't want to work with your provider at these times. I've had the same email address for over a decade - tomjoy@flash.net . I would generally assume that this is a spurious problem and that my service will receive properly from you in the future - but - if my service is going to be determined to not receive from you, we can do this on the forum. I wrote to you directly because I was wanting to order various individual pieces, one of these and one of those, and I didn't think that such an order would be of general interest.

Thanks for following up on this,

Tom

Tags:

Ping Tom Russell

by Bert @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 15:24 (5877 days ago) @ Tom Russell

I think my provider is messing around so now and then (being put on a SPAM list or so...). Usually this is for a short time but thanks to our beloved abusers to send SPAM around!

Here is the shorted version of my answer:

The parts you see are only a few “external” parts, the rest of the filter sits inside the resin….you’ll need a complete filter for the second Orphean to make that work.

Removing the rear chamber should be done by removing the screws first (should be there). When that is done then you can remove the driver itself which is bolted from the other side of the MDF panel.

Still weird if you are able to see the filter, which is inside the Orphean. I guess the outer parts are some sort of modification? 1000uF seems a lot to me and of no use unless you want to ruin things in a very rough way...

Bert

--

Tags:

Ping Tom Russell/Orphean

by Tom Russell @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 16:39 (5877 days ago) @ Bert

Bert

I still can't get this apart. You say "removing the rear chamber". I have been looking for the MDF piece, with the driver attached, to come out the rear. Is this correct? How much force should this take? I've pulled on the driver as much as I dare. I'm pulling as hard as I can grasping the driver with my bare hands. I've tried rocking the driver from side to side. NO movement of the MDF piece. Are you talking about screws that would be on the surface of the MDF? I see no screws other than screws that are on the driver. I haven't attempted to remove any of the screws that are on the driver. The only thing on the MDF, other than the driver, are the two binding posts. I loosened the binding posts a bit and they act like they have a backing nut, as I would expect. When they are loosened the MDF piece is still tight in place. Once I see one of these apart, I'm sure things will be clear.

Concerning the filters; Obviously, I've never had these horns apart so I don't know what is on the inside. I had thought that the MKII filter box shown on your web site to be an additional piece that is added to a MKI. Is there a filter box, a box that looks like the MKII filter on your site, inside an Orphean MKI? The caps on the outside are across the driver terminals on one end. The other ends go inside so I can't tell anything about how they are connected. The implementation of the caps does seem very home made. I asked Angelo about this and he said this is exactly what you sent with the Orphean, 1000uf cap included. He says he changed nothing. At any rate, I need to get from what I have to two operational Orpheans.

Thanks

Tom

Tags:

Ping Tom Russell/Orphean

by angeloitacare, Monday, February 25, 2008, 16:52 (5877 days ago) @ Tom Russell

hi Tom

i guess you have remooved the black outer plastic tube, and the filter inside got visible, and the screws which hold the driver, fixed on the MDF plate. just screw them out, take all cables off the driver, and you will be able to remoove the driver from the MDF plate. The caps are the original ones from Bert, nothing has been changed. i remember there were 4,7mf ones, and another with similar values.

Angelo

Tags:

Ping Tom Russell/Orphean

by Tom Russell @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 23:52 (5876 days ago) @ angeloitacare

No, it should be obvious that I haven't got it apart. I asked you about disassembly a few times but you choose not to respond.

The caps on the outside are the two unmarked ones that are in parallel and the physically larger 1000uf.

Tags:

Upload a picture...

by Bert @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 17:24 (5876 days ago) @ Tom Russell

...so that I can help.

Bert

--

Tags:

Upload a picture...

by Tom Russell @, Monday, February 25, 2008, 23:46 (5876 days ago) @ Bert

Bert

Here are two views of my Orphean.
[image][image]
I'm not sure at this point where it comes apart. At a glance, it would seem that the MDF piece comes out the back of the rear chamber. Not that I can tell. I see no screws holding the MDF piece in place. I see no screws attaching the rear chamber to the horn. It's the same ole again - but - I've once more pulled on things as much as I dare without knowing more about what I am doing. Actually, I've pulled about as hard as I can just using my hands. To exert more force, I'd have to resort to using tools to pry it apart. I've pulled on it many times and nothing has budged even the smallest amount.

Thanks

Tom

Tags:

Upload a picture...

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:46 (5876 days ago) @ Tom Russell

Hi Tom,

Here is a picture of the present kit as delivered (with external black box holding the complete filter).

[image]

Here you can clearly see the "back chamber" mounted on one and removed from the other horn. You can also see the driver with long black threads which are used to mount the driver through the top MDF plate and fixed with nuts on the other side.

The only way to remove the driver is to remove the black tube of your horn first which is probably "glued" or sitting pretty tight. If you can't move it then you could demolish the black tube (cut it over its length) and then take it away.

There is nothing interesting inside though but for a clean start the tube should be gone so that you can remove the driver and paint the horn again together with a new horn.

For a complete working stereo set you'll need one complete Orphean kit (including completed filter) and an extra back chamber to make things look nice and complete again.

What should come of from your horn is the black tube (looks damaged as the ring is missing that normally is glued to the back chamber and used to screw the chamber to the horn to complete the assembly. See picture:

[image]

Here you can also see that there are no extra parts on the outside.

The parts shown on your picture are the original delivered parts though where the smaller ones are 4,7uF and 1uF in parallel, the big one is a 1uF (not 1000!) PIO capacitor.

These parts (upgradeable) should be inside the back chamber combined with the main filter (which is a resin block, no visible crossover parts).

Bert

--

Tags:

Upload a picture...

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:47 (5876 days ago) @ Tom Russell

Hey Tom,

You may be pulling on a wrong side ?
Maybe this helps ... (there's more "building construction" on the website I think).

Peter

[image]

Tags:

Upload a picture...

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:59 (5876 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hahaha, Bert got ahead of me. From Bert's post I can think of this now :

The tube will "sit" on the horn with a "rubber" band. You will see it at the edge now you now it. This is the first thing to remove I think. The tube as well as the horn will stick to it, and the both were mashed onto eachother with some pretty weight (something like 80Kg-Bert :grin:). When that is out, there will be some freedom of movement I think.

*If* you start to cut the tube (which seems unlikely to me), I think in there you may (with a saw) cut the filter as well. So if you want to keep that, be careful.

Peter

Tags:

No problem...

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 10:03 (5876 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hahaha, Bert got ahead of me

As usual... :grin:

Just cut at the side with the horn weight down (the filter inside is heavy, just let it find its position where it wants to be, let it roll) and then you can cut. Best way to cut anyhow is over the length without getting inside with the saw. Leave 0,5mm and you can force it to break with a screwdriver.

Puhh...

--

Tags:

Some more...

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:58 (5876 days ago) @ Tom Russell

Hi Tom,

Looking at the driver is seems to me that these were used/stored for a while in a very dusty environment. As the driver is modified (one of them is the removed protection screen at the front of the driver) it is very possible that the driver is dirty on the inside.

Best would be to send me that driver so that I can check and clean it to be sure that all is working properly in the end.

I do hope that you did not pay too much money for what you've received!

Bert

--

Tags:

Some more...

by Tom Russell @, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 13:33 (5876 days ago) @ Bert

Bert....and PeterSt

I appreciate your help. No wonder that I couldn't easily remove the rear plate. The front of the back chamber does not come away from the horn very easily! One way or another, I will get it apart.

I did need to know what was going on. This has gone from bad to worse. I don't see any way this can work out. There is little, if any, value to what I have. I was hoping that I could get this together in some manner - but - it is apparent that in order to get this going, I will essentially have to buy a new pair of Orpheans. Nothing wrong with new Orpheans, mind you, but buying a new pair of Orpheans is not something I have in the budget at this time. Actually, the budget is used up in this one horn. With the price of what I would need being pretty much equal to the cost of a new pair, this would make fixing what I have need to be it's own independant buying decision, just like starting all over and buying a new pair from scratch. It's just another dream purchase at this point. I am doing all I can to resist taking a sledge hammer to it. I have time to decide; the dumpster guys come on Thursday.

And, yes, as what I received has no value, naturally, I paid too much.:yahoo:

Thanks again

Tom

Tags:

Some more...

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 14:20 (5876 days ago) @ Tom Russell

Hi Tom,

I appreciate your help. No wonder that I couldn't easily remove the rear
plate. The front of the back chamber does not come away from the horn very
easily! One way or another, I will get it apart.

I do hope that you mean the cover and not the plate! It will be damaged and unusable if that happens.

...pair from scratch. It's just another dream purchase at this point. I am
doing all I can to resist taking a sledge hammer to it. I have time to
decide; the dumpster guys come on Thursday.

Sorry for not being able to make your dream come through just now but don't trash it, it might come up useful someday.

Bert

--

Tags:

Some more...

by MikeH @, Friday, February 29, 2008, 06:59 (5873 days ago) @ Tom Russell

You can still access the terminals on the driver, so why not leave the old filter inside and put a new filter outside?
Perhaps I am missing something, do you need to use parts of the old filter?

Tags:

Some more...

by Tom Russell @, Friday, February 29, 2008, 14:56 (5873 days ago) @ MikeH

1. The driver is loose.
2. The horn is damaged and will need to be repainted

It would seem that the horn would have to come apart to take care of either.

Tom

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread