New Orphean Compact Bass Filter is Excellent (Orphean)

by Cappy @, Friday, March 14, 2008, 21:23 (5858 days ago)
edited by Cappy, Friday, March 14, 2008, 21:35

I was finally able to get the parts for the new Orphean Compact Bass filter earlier this week. I've been running with the new filter for the last few days.

The filter is really a nice improvement. Thanks Bert.

The previous iteration of the bass filter had good integration with the horn, but took a step back in bass slam and deepness.

The new filter has the bass dynamics back and bass is clear and deep. I notice the midrange sounds a bit clearer too. Interestingly, on my Class T amp, the treble is also noticeably better - smoother, more realistic. I've observed this phenomena before: upper midrange/highs get better when bass is better. On my Lux 300B amp I don't notice much difference in the highs, at least so far, but the midrange is purer, more transparent.

I'm currently using Solen Perfect Lay 3.7 mH inductors and Bennic 100uF capacitors. I also plan to try large oil and film caps I have in my parts box in place of the electrolytic caps.

Good!

by Bert @, Saturday, March 15, 2008, 11:17 (5858 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

The filter is really a nice improvement. Thanks Bert.

My pleasure...

I'm currently using Solen Perfect Lay 3.7 mH inductors and Bennic 100uF capacitors. I also plan to try large oil and film caps I have in my parts box in place of the electrolytic caps.

I do not expect improvements if you would do that but if for some reason you like it better then do report back... :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Good!

by Cappy @, Sunday, March 16, 2008, 06:40 (5857 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Cappy, Sunday, March 16, 2008, 07:16

I do not expect improvements if you would do that but if for some reason you like it better then do report back...

Well, everything is clipped together at the moment so it is easy enough to clip in different caps.

I agree on probably no improvement, this filter is going to be very hard to beat. It seems like it might be time for you to declare success and move on to another speaker design. :grin:

Working on that already...

by Bert @, Sunday, March 16, 2008, 17:02 (5857 days ago) @ Cappy

:wink:

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Working on that already...

by Ivo, Sunday, March 16, 2008, 23:34 (5856 days ago) @ Bert

A new design? Details! Details!
Ivo

Nothing special...

by Bert @, Monday, March 17, 2008, 09:25 (5856 days ago) @ Ivo

... :secret: