Should I buy a TwinDac+ (BD-Design)

by Monty @, Friday, March 21, 2008, 08:37 (5873 days ago)

Okay here goes,

First a little history. After more years than I care to remember I moved away form a full solid state system - all Naim. I replaced my amps with a a Dave Berning ZH-270 amp (valves). I also sold my Naim CD player, a CDX2 with XPS2 power supply and my front-end became a Apple Mac Mini running into a USB Benchmark DAC1.

I changed to the DAC1 because I was initially impressed by the quality of audio playback using AIFF ripped CDs. HOWEVER, after almost 8 months with the DAC1 I have started to realise the sound is not as good as my Naim CDP that I sold!

I know this is a BD-Design forum, so you guys will obviously like your BD-Design kit, but I was wondering are there any of you who moved from a Benchmark DAC1 to a TwinDac+ plus BMS and if so what difference did you find to the sound quality/reproduction?

Thanks,

Monty

Should I buy a TwinDac+

by Eddie @, Friday, March 21, 2008, 23:43 (5872 days ago) @ Monty

Hello Monty,

Occasionally I have heard very good sounding stuff from Naim but I do not remember which components. I have never heard the USB Benchmark DAC1.

What I would try to do is to compare all available technical information of both DACs, try to read about specific qualities of the different components, preferably on forums. Then think for yourself from your own experience whether or not you agree with the remarks that you read. This is especially important when the final verdict is largely based on personal taste. The more you read and listen the sooner you will be able to judge wether or not you have the same taste as the author. This is a procedure that is very time consuming. I am doing it this way for many years as a part of my hobby of listening to good sounding music.

I bought a lot of equipment based only on reading reviews and I do not remember a dissappointment. The first time I red about the Twindac I immediately realized the potential of USB and that this DAC was really built to high standards. A few years later I bought it after listening a few minutes at Bert's place and I am very happy with its performance. It is much better than the very expensive Theta Digitals I had before.

Another advice: change step by step so you can follow the differences. Than it will not take nine months before you notice something that you do not like.

Enjoy your music and kind regards,
Eddie

Should I buy a TwinDac+

by Monty @, Saturday, March 22, 2008, 08:53 (5872 days ago) @ Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Can I ask what CDP you replaced when you got theTwinDac+ and did you get the BMS as well.

Monty

RSS Feed of thread