Capacitor shoot-out (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Sunday, April 06, 2008, 23:20 (5863 days ago)

For anybody interested in some test results... :wink:

http://www.tempoelectric.com/caps.htm

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:
Duelund

Capacitor shoot-out

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 09:28 (5861 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert!
Nice and informative link!
Best regards
Stephan

Capacitor shoot-out

by JohnK @, Sunday, April 27, 2008, 21:25 (5842 days ago) @ madprofessor

Ive tried many capacitors my findings are simlar. But with one addition the Mundorf silver golds are a big step up in basic loudspeaker crossover networks than supreme or silver oil. I use with drivers of = quality, except the other day.I was assembling a 3 way front horn out of extras left about my shop. I used very low cost compression horn tweeters that I had about. Ive used many of these in budget models. Since Iam jaded by exposer to far more costly transducers I find the cheap ones a bit hard on my ears. Since I have a box of mundorfs about. I looked for value I needed only one I had was a pair of mundorf silver golds. So what the heck. The trebile reproductions is much improved. More detail far less listening fatigue Ive used this model tweeter many times before so I know its limits or at least thought I knew. I tried other caps same value even dorf supreme. Nothing else was close. Ive since tried this costly cap comparison with other affordable but of quality transducers and it seems that the quality of the parts used in crossovers is very important to the sonic performance of loudspeakers.

Capacitor shoot-out

by Rudolf150 @, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 10:28 (5861 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Here is another - extensive - test of capacitors by a non commercial tester :grin:

Tony Gee Cap Test

Just look for the capacitor that got a 12,5 out of 10 :shame:

Rudolf

Capacitor shoot-out

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 14:06 (5861 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Thanks for the link Rudolf, things happened there since my last vist... :grin:

Just look for the capacitor that got a 12,5 out of 10 :shame:

What to expect.... only the best! And then still, the ones tested are the basic VSF copper foils, not the PIO's or the Silver foils. :wink:

Bert

--

Capacitor shoot-out

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 16:24 (5861 days ago) @ Bert

I use a Duelund copper foil capacitor for filter/input coupling - with the same sonic results as in the second link described. These capacitors are really very good, not "only" for speaker x-over.
Best Regards
Stephan

Capacitor shoot-out

by robert, Friday, April 11, 2008, 19:36 (5858 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Look at the capacitor that has 10,5 out of 10
its a $6,75 one !!!

Yes, some times things come cheap...

by Bert @, Saturday, April 12, 2008, 14:51 (5857 days ago) @ robert

[No Text]

--

Capacitor shoot-out

by GC, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 19:24 (5861 days ago) @ Bert
edited by GC, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 19:46

Dear all

I had the luck to be one of Steens closest during his last 20 years.

Now I just wish to know who dares/dared to compare his resistors to anything else. They will beat the s*** out of any other resistor used in crossovers with differences quality-wise bigger than the caps.

Don't avoid those. Use them.

GC :ok:

Small edition: Now to all good folks who are DIY crossover builders, please mind and take care of zobel-networks and other liniarlizers used in paralel with the driver terminals effects the SQ as serial components does. It is all one circuit.

The drivers-the crossover-the amplifier.

Steen?

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 20:53 (5861 days ago) @ GC

Who is that? :confused:

Bert

--

Steen?

by Rudolf150 @, Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 21:50 (5861 days ago) @ Bert

Hi,

I guess this could be the answer?

Steen Duelund

Rudolf