Duelund Capacitors (BD-Design)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 08:53 (5790 days ago)

I simply want to reccomend these capacitors highly!
I use them for coupling in a SET amp and the results are simply stunning - especially in comparison with other high grade capacitors. More naturalness, beter spatial defenition, more dynamics.
The results are much better as the same amount spent in better cables.
The prices are high, but the results are according to that prices.
Just try to upgrade your amps, its really worth the effort!

Best regards
Stephan

Tags:
Duelund Capacitors

I second that...

by Bert @, Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 13:50 (5790 days ago) @ madprofessor

...and not just for amplifiers. :)

Best improvement for the buck would be to replace all your metal film and wire resistors (loudspeaker crossovers...) for the Duelund ones!

You'll be surprised about the sweetness you'll get in return!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

I second that...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 14:45 (5790 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!
Difficult to do - I´ve got no resistors in the X-over in the signal path, only one for impedance equalisation.
But I think, the Duelunds are really special!
Best regards
Stephan

I second that...

by Bert @, Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 17:34 (5790 days ago) @ madprofessor

Impedance corrections are also in the signal path....and therefore part of the whole circuit... :yes:

--

I second that...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 23:33 (5790 days ago) @ Bert

That depends, how You define "signal path". Have You tested the influence of components for impedance correction? In my system, using some mild impedance correction about 4 kHz gave a smother reproduction, taking away some edginess, but the effect was very slight, as well as the edginess without correction.
Best regards
Stephan

I second that...

by Bert @, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 12:39 (5789 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hello Stephan,

I have had the Orphean's (the only system I have that uses a filter...) with standard resistors/capacitors and with Duelund and it does make a clearly audible difference. That is the reason why I use Duelund in my filters which do not have serial resistors either but do have a few impedance corrections...

Bert

--

I second that...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 15:01 (5789 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!
That the Duelund components in Your filters provide a positive audible difference, I can believe very well! ( I´ve allready Mundorf Siler/Gold and flat foil Mundorf coils in my x- over. When I had kneewn about Duelund, when building the x-over I´d have used only them!)
But my questin targeted a rcl impedance correction - is there also an audible difference? (That´s the only components of only medium grade, I use)
There would be some way for improvements, even if its difficult for me to imagine!
Best regards
Stephan

I first that...

by GC, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 17:10 (5789 days ago) @ madprofessor
edited by GC, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 17:16

Hi both...:friends:

So since when does parallel to driver components matters less than serial?

It's a circuit where Voltage and Amperes passes in unity regardless what.

We are not takling about a line signal pasing a *string* where suddenly serial components qounts morver parallel ones. It's a AC network!!! :fool:

:idea: No, not at all. :scared1:

And by that I mean every single component counts.

GC

I first that...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 20:39 (5789 days ago) @ GC

Hallo GC!
Of course it´s an AC-network: There are two ways to approach it:
First simply measure it for all the well known parameters. That gives you the values you need.
For filters, the quality of coils, there resistance and so on, makes a difference also in measurements.
Than You have to look at the signal: There are components, basical complex resistance, frequency dependent, through which the signal, wanted at your driver passes. These ones must be checked by extensive listening tests, when the basic value is clear by measurements.
Next are the components ( in 12db or higher order x-overs) which are also complex resistance, frequency dependet, but used basically to short unwanted signal components. To my experience, these are less critical. For example I use Silver/gold Mundorf in the first group of components and Silver Mundorf in the second group.
The last group is impedance correction: There I only want a more or less flat impedance and not difficult to drive Phase relations. That components I find out by measurements and calculations, but in quality I use one notch lower.
My discussion was about these group of components.
Imagine an impedance correction with Duelund components would be something like 200 € + Gives that the justificable audible results? That was my question, cause in that area I haven´t made any experiments!
Best regards
Stephan

Just give it a try...

by Bert @, Thursday, May 22, 2008, 22:32 (5789 days ago) @ madprofessor

...by just replacing the resistors (20 Euro each) and then tell me if you hear a difference...

I always thought the same as you.... :yes:

Bert

--

I first that...

by GC, Friday, May 23, 2008, 06:58 (5788 days ago) @ madprofessor
edited by GC, Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:03

Imagine an impedance correction with Duelund components would be something like 200 € + Gives that the justificable audible results? That was my question, cause in that area I haven´t made any experiments!
Best regards
Stephan

Hi Stephan

Yes we have to have the gain to cost ratio in mind when we use components of insane value (EUR). That's obvious. :grin:

But again it counts for all components.

GC

RSS Feed of thread