Someone know a Oris system in Spain? (BD-Design)

by carlesdg, Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 09:42 (5547 days ago)

Hello, I'm very curious about the Oris Horns, I live in Spain and I will be very pleased if someone could tell me where if it is possible to hear this horns in Spain.

Regards

Someone know a Oris system in Spain?

by Bert @, Friday, January 23, 2009, 11:53 (5544 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello,

There are a few Oris owners in Spain but I do not have their information to have them contact you. I do know that there are not many Oris horns in Spain either (as well in France), I guess that the English language is the main problem for people living in those countries.

Sorry for not being able to help you out much further,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by carlesdg, Friday, January 23, 2009, 13:10 (5544 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

Bad news. It is very curious your opinion about the relation between the English language and the presence of Oris speakers in Spain (or France).
I have an audio system based in a pair of Duntech Sovereign speakers, but I want to hear one of your systems mainly to appreciate his transparency and dynamic.

Do you feel that other commercial speakers as Avantgarde Duo can give a sound similar to one diy Oris system? The Oris will normally outperform the Avantgarde? In which aspects?

Best Regards

by Gasper, Friday, January 23, 2009, 13:42 (5544 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello!

I have a friend who uses Avantg' Duo and the coments are (acording to my set-up): "Hm, nothing's wrong...,there is no difference between bass and horn - no hole or time differences (despite Duo's:blush: )- great piece of art from Mr. Bert!":wink:

Nice Price...:cool:

Hope this will help.

Regads,

Gasper.

by carlesdg, Friday, January 23, 2009, 14:10 (5543 days ago) @ Gasper

Hello Gasper,

I never heard a Duo, but I read that one of his main faults is integration between the bass woofers and the horns.

Your comments are very useful, specially the referent to the price. But could you tell me how much could be the approximated price of a pair of diy Oris horns (with or without bass units)?

Best regards

by Gasper, Friday, January 23, 2009, 14:24 (5543 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello!

This depends what you want on the top of the Bass: Oris150 horns or Orphean horns.

Best would be to go:

http://www.bd-design.nl - DIY Products - where you have all the options.

Also see the Showroom for some ideas - what do you (don't) want.

The most price/performance benefit you will get from Oris 150/Lowther/Compact bass (my opinion).

This is like LEGO - everything fits and can be upgradeble...Enjoy.

Regards,

Gasper.

by carlesdg, Monday, January 26, 2009, 10:18 (5541 days ago) @ Gasper

Hello Gasper,

thanks for your help, but I miss (or may be I'm not able to find) in the BD- Design site important information for beginners in the horn's world as:

-What are the differences between the sound produced by the different Oris models? (apart that as big they are as low they can go).

-And the Orpheans, how can be compared against the 150 or 200?

-How much is the price for a Oris 150/200 without driver?

-And for the bass: what are the differences between Reference Compact or the Reference Ultra bass system? where are the plans for his enclosures?

Best regards

by Gasper, Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 12:20 (5540 days ago) @ carlesdg
edited by Gasper, Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 12:23

Hello Gasper,

thanks for your help, but I miss (or may be I'm not able to find) in the BD- Design site important information for beginners in the horn's world as:

Hello!

I would suggest you to start with Oris150/Compact bass enclosure. If you will go for the reference Ultra bass make the cut-out for the bass driver on the side of the bass enclosure. Latter on you can buy Orphean horn and modify Oris150 (which you will already possess) to use in front of bass driver.

-What are the differences between the sound produced by the different Oris models? (apart that as big they are as low they can go).

This would be more appropriate to ask Bert or someone who used both of them (see Showroom and check out "old pages").

I think it is not a big difference between Orphean/150/200 DIY horns...:blush:

-And for the bass: what are the differences between Reference Compact or the Reference Ultra bass system? where are the plans for his enclosures?

The difference is in the position of the bass driver. For the Compact the bass driver is mounted in the front, for the Ultra is mounted on the side because there is modified 150horn in front of it. If you will order horns and parts for DIY, I think the plans are for free :embarressed: ...

Regards,
Gasper

Best regards

Oris differences?

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 20:38 (5539 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello Carles,

...but I miss (or may be I'm not able to find) in the BD- Design site important information for beginners in the horn's world as:

Basically the differences are minor between the horns when using the same full-range driver in them. Besides the lower/higher frequency due to their size there is another difference and that is depth of the horn. The deeper the horn (as usual with bigger sized horns) the more directional the sound becomes, the smaller the horn and thus less deep the more open and free.

Basically the Orphean's (using a compression driver) will give most detail, provides the widest sweet spot, has the highest sensitivity and is the most transparent/resolving. Its crossover frequency is the highest among all though, all full-range driver loaded Oris horns go lower in frequency.

All DIY-horns cost 879 Euro the pair plus 19% VAT if applicable. Shipping costs are different and most expensive for the Oris 150 horns due to their size.

Gasper explained the physical part, sound wise the Ultra bass system gives a much better integrated system (in combination with the suggested filter techniques).

Bert

--

by Bert @, Saturday, January 24, 2009, 10:07 (5543 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello Carles,

Bad news. It is very curious your opinion about the relation between the English language and the presence of Oris speakers in Spain (or France).

Nothing seriously wrong but more a feeling I got when wondering around in those countries compared to northern countries where English is hardly a problem.

I could be wrong though but I do get a lot more inquiries from northern countries than from France or Spain.

I have an audio system based in a pair of Duntech Sovereign speakers, but I want to hear one of your systems mainly to appreciate his transparency and dynamic.

I understand, it is always advised to listen yourself to hear if you like the presentation of the music before you buy.

Do you feel that other commercial speakers as Avantgarde Duo can give a sound similar to one diy Oris system? The Oris will normally outperform the Avantgarde? In which aspects?

The sound coming from the Avantgarde Duo's is a commercial sound with BASS and the ability to play extremely loud as main features. An Oris system can do the same but then sounding like one speaker where integration is the main feature...

Bert

--

Oris vs Avantgardes

by anubisgrau, Monday, January 26, 2009, 02:25 (5541 days ago) @ Bert

Can't say about smaller Oris models, but the Swings wipe the floor with any A'garde speaker I've had a chance to hear (Duo in various colours:grin: and options...:)

Avantgardes are an entry level horn speakers designed for lifestyle freaks with thick ears. Disco bass, a huge hole in a mid bass and frontal mid soundwall with not much sophistication.

If you want THE music reproduction, there is no contest. Don't waste time nor money on AGs.

Oris vs Avantgardes

by carlesdg, Monday, January 26, 2009, 10:46 (5541 days ago) @ anubisgrau

Can't say about smaller Oris models, but the Swings wipe the floor with any A'garde speaker I've had a chance to hear (Duo in various colours:grin: and options...:)

Hello Anubis,

My interest in the Oris horns is not to produce an earthquake!
So, an important question for me is if the Oris horn need always to play loud to produce good sound, or if they can give lifelike sense to the music at normal hearing sound levels of around of 75dB?

Regards

Oris vs Avantgardes

by anubisgrau, Monday, January 26, 2009, 11:38 (5541 days ago) @ carlesdg

absolutely, do you think that i'm listening 10-12 hours a day at 110db?!

any horn that sounds good at big levels will sound at least decent at low levels, due to the efficiency of compression drivers and the way that a horn pressurizes a room and couples with air. much better than any dynamic speaker and also better than full rangers - most of them needs some volume to get some bass out.

that's not a case with the swings - you'll get a lot from them at normal home levels, 70-80db

by antonio, Monday, January 26, 2009, 08:38 (5541 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hi Carles,
as I already wrote you in the past days the Oris system ( I talk about my experience with Oris 150 and 200 ) is most coherent and natural respect to the sound of avantgarde duo e trio.

Antonio

RSS Feed of thread