Oris-Ultra-Reference (Oris Horns)

by Steve M, Sunday, March 15, 2009, 15:36 (5492 days ago)

Hello there,

I am looking forward to buy a fully build-up Oris-Ultra-Reference with an AER Md 3 maybe also AER Md 1 / 2 for a good price. My Telnr. is:

0049 (0) 162 35 42 965

Greetings from Germany
-Steve-

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Bert @, Sunday, March 15, 2009, 23:18 (5492 days ago) @ Steve M

Hello Steve,

I guess you are looking for a 2nd hand system?

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 15:37 (5490 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,
yes I am looking for a second hand pair.
I only have one problem with the Ultra-Reference System!
The bass should/ could be quicker.
I had the system before, but with the Inosic Bassamps.
Is here the Problem of sounding slower?

Greetings -Steve-

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Bert @, Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 15:58 (5490 days ago) @ Steve M

Hi Steve,

yes I am looking for a second hand pair.

Okay, then I will not interfere as I do not have a 2nd hand one for sale.

I only have one problem with the Ultra-Reference System!
The bass should/ could be quicker.
I had the system before, but with the Inosic Bassamps.
Is here the Problem of sounding slower?

The BD30's I am using are a lot more dynamic than those Inosonic bass amps, that is probably one reason. Another reason would be the used crossover principle and if you did not use the original line level crossover then this is a reason too.

Slow sound does not exist but less dynamic and less coherent does give the feeling that things are slow.

Did you use the BD15 bass drivers within the system?

Bert

--

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Friday, March 20, 2009, 10:42 (5487 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,

yes I used the 15.
Thank you for your reply !!!
I would be happy to have those Speakers again if that problem is then solved as you say!

My Telnr: is 0049(0)162 35 42 965. ( only If you want to speak with me directly).

Greetings from Germany
-Steve-

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Gasper, Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 09:02 (5490 days ago) @ Steve M

Dear Steve!

I was also using Inosic's bass amps and I recomend you to go with BD-design principle of bass amplification. Like Bert explains, it is better to use line level crossover and aplification after filtering. The best thing here is time aligment and clean, deep sound. I have sold my Inosic's to be used in "normal priced Home cinema" solutions, where, in one case, works superb in Visaton/Inosic combination.:wink:

Regards,

Gasper.

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Friday, March 20, 2009, 10:47 (5487 days ago) @ Gasper

Hello Gasper,

Thank you also for your Reply !!!
I hope that I can find some one that sells a Oris-Ultra-Reference to me and I then give it another try (because I actually was happy with its Sound)!

I wish you all the best
Greetings
-Steve-

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by madcologne @, Thursday, March 19, 2009, 09:35 (5489 days ago) @ Steve M

Hi Steve!

If you want to have a fast Bass that fits to the speed of the Oris horns then you'll also have to use a horn system there. Avantgarde for example has the same problem with their 'smaller' systems, the only combination which sounds 'complete' is the TRIO with the bass horn subs. But it's much to expensive... :shame:

My solution is a combination of an ATK (Klipsch) corner horn and the Oris 150 with an AER-DX4 driver. The critical part is the crossover! First you have to time-align the bass to the Oris horns which comes to a difference of about 2 meters because of the folded bass horn. This ends up in a digital crossover with either IIR (behaving like analog filters) or FIR (linear phase) filters. The difference between the filtertypes is really huge, especially in the bass area. IIR filters are still 'ringing', even if you use them aroung 150 Hz. But with a really sharp FIR-Filter (700 bins) at 160 Hz the crossover became seemless.:good:

I also wasn't really satisfied with my bass amplifier. I tried out several principles from a Ultralinear tube amp (to much 'body') to a class-D digital amplifier (not enough 'body'). The best solution was a self-made HEXFET solid state amp with 70 Watts per channel. :ok:
The last step was the room correction and this really was another BIG improvement. I've measured huge peaks and holes between 30 and 90 Hz which were corrected by narrow notch and band pass filters. After an additonal boost at the area below 30 Hz I got a flat frequency reasponse between 22 and 155 Hz (-3dB) for the bass.:dance:

So Steve, feel invited if you ever come close to Cologne (Köln).:drinks:
You won't regret it!:wink:

Regards,
Martin

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Bert @, Thursday, March 19, 2009, 18:53 (5488 days ago) @ madcologne

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your detailed description of your system, can you share some pictures too? Always nice to see... :good:

If you want to have a fast Bass that fits to the speed of the Oris horns then you'll also have to use a horn system there. Avantgarde for example has the same problem with their 'smaller' systems, the only combination which sounds 'complete' is the TRIO with the bass horn subs. But it's much to expensive... :shame:

Mmm, I guess you never heard a properly set-up Ultra system or even the Swing?

Keywords for those is integration and fast bass... :yes:

...and for normal prices.

If you ever come to Holland for holidays or for no reason at all then feel welcome at my place (Nunspeet, not too far from Köln) were it should be possible to give you a good listen. :cool:

Regards,

Bert

--

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by madcologne @, Thursday, March 19, 2009, 22:20 (5488 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert!

Thank you for your detailed description of your system, can you share some pictures too? Always nice to see... :good:

Sure! But actually I don't have a fixed system, it's more like a bunch of DIY speakers and amplifiers: :iNocent::

[img]images/uploaded/2009031921173449c2a85eaa190.jpg[/img]

Although the picture isn't even one year old, the small 2-way speakers and the Voigt Pipes are gone and instead there's a big unfinished 3-way speaker and a small digital 2-way monitor speaker system.
I guess I'm spending more time for developing speakers than to listen to them... :pardon:

But the Oris System is my reference... with great margin to all others!:yes:

Here a picture of the HEXFET amp:

[img]images/uploaded/2009031921263449c2aa7a4a2da.jpg[/img]

Mmm, I guess you never heard a properly set-up Ultra system or even the Swing?

You are right Bert. And I'm 100% sure they sound great and even better than the Avantgarde Speakers!:good:
But I'm not sure if they can beat the Klipsch horns in the sub bass area.
In combination with your ultimate monster bass at home it won't be a problem, that's for sure... :pleasantry:

If you ever come to Holland for holidays or for no reason at all then feel welcome at my place (Nunspeet, not too far from Köln) were it should be possible to give you a good listen. :cool:

Thanks for the invitation! I had this in mind since I bought my first Lowther drivers (seven years ago!) but I never got the chance to do it.
But I won't forget it when I'm in your area next time and maybe I bring some Kölsch...:party:

Regards,
Martin

[img]images/uploaded/2009031921592149c2b229a241b.jpg[/img]

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Friday, March 20, 2009, 10:56 (5487 days ago) @ madcologne
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 18:33

Hallo,

Natürlich, weg Du aus Köoln komst, dass können wir ja auch Deutsch reden :-))))
Ich komme nämlich aus Kassel.

Danke für Deine Antwort!!!
Leider ist mein Laptopakku gleich leer und ich habe noch keinen Internet-provider
zuhause und muss jedes mal in in die Stad ins Cafee um zu Antworten.

Melde mich morgen noch mal und noch mals Danke für Deine Antwort!

L.Gr.Steve

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Friday, March 20, 2009, 13:05 (5487 days ago) @ Steve M

Hallo!

I also got the Ultra Reference Bass-System over here - Ganderkesee near Bremen.
You are welcome for a visit if You like.

Best regards
Stephan

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by ThomasT, Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 08:21 (5484 days ago) @ madprofessor

Why would I EVER sell my Oris Aer 3s? Gonna be tough to get somebody to part with their beloved magic!

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Sunday, March 22, 2009, 12:48 (5485 days ago) @ madcologne
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 18:32

Hallo,

da bin ich wieder (Steve):-)

Da ich noch keinen Provider habe, bitte ich Sie, mir Ihre Handynummer zu schicken per SMS auf mein Handy Tel: 0162 35 42 965 aber nur weg möchten!!!!
Dass wäre Super und sehr nett!

L.Gr.Steve

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by antonio, Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 08:25 (5484 days ago) @ madcologne

I agree with Marin . I also use Oris 150 with PM2 MK II with AER diagram with Klipsch bass section at 180 hz 12 db slope corossover frequency.
I think that the sound in this way is very dynamic till the extreme frequencies that the Klipsch bass section can reproduce ( 35 Hz ).
The Oris 150 are drive by A Reimyo PA 777 power amp ( 7 watt with the w.E. 300 B and 310 A ) and in the Klipsch bass section I use a second Reimyo PA 777.
With a push pull( 35-70 watt ) like Conrad-Johnson or others I can get more impact but the quality in the acoustic musique it is not like the Reymo PA 777.

Antonio

Oris DIY issues

by madcologne @, Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10:39 (5481 days ago) @ antonio

Hi Antonio!

How do you solve the problem with the 1.8 meter delay of the Klipsch horn? At 180 Hz cross over frequency the delay would be one period. Without any digital time delay the bass would always be behind the rest... :confused:

You also should try to boost the signal below 30 Hz with a low shelving filter to get it down to 20 Hz... it's worth it! :dance:

I also use a 300B to drive the Oris horns and I think it's a perfect combination: :ok:

[img]images/uploaded/2009032609524949cb426147fe7.jpg[/img]

The Orpheus amp (Bastanis) actually is a tuned Lady-Day 300B amp with finest components. I have three sets of 300Bs to choose (TJ, JJ and Sovtek) and the TJs are by far the best (and the most expensive of course):wink:

Another project of mine is a WE91 replica with some NOS components, so I'm also going to try a 310A as driver tube. I'm curious if this will bring some improvement in compare to the Sylvania 6SL7, I just have to finish the wiring :yes:

[img]images/uploaded/2009032610084549cb461d2fb10.jpg[/img]

I have one more point to add, if you don't use the transparent Phase Plugs from Bert, GO FOR IT!
It's really worth every cent! Bert did a great job by designing it... and they look beautiful! :clapping:

[img]images/uploaded/2009032610140849cb47604b054.jpg[/img]

so long...
Martin

[img]images/uploaded/2009032610173849cb4832b7623.jpg[/img]

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by Steve M, Sunday, March 29, 2009, 22:02 (5478 days ago) @ antonio

Hello Antonio,
hey you are driving some heavy equipment there !! Nice !! :grin:
Thanks for your response!
Greetings
-Steve-

Oris-Ultra-Reference

by bambadoo, Saturday, March 28, 2009, 09:28 (5480 days ago) @ Steve M
edited by bambadoo, Saturday, March 28, 2009, 17:22

Well I live in Norway and am planning to sell my Oris reference Ultra with AER md3 drivers in the future.

For more information (in Norwegian) and pictures
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php?topic=26019.0;all
http://avforum.no/minhifi/show.php/bambadoo

And of course here at bd-design.
http://bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d228.html

But it is a long drive to Norway (West coast) :)

RSS Feed of thread