Adding a woofer to a back loaded horn. (Off Topic)

by silne3, Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 17:01 (5469 days ago)

I want to add a woofer to my back loaded horn to augment the lows below 55Hz.
I understand that the bass frequencies are delayed by 3ms when they leave the horn.
Will I hear a difference if I delay the woofers by 3ms?

Adding a woofer to a back loaded horn.

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 20:41 (5468 days ago) @ silne3

Hello Silne,

I want to add a woofer to my back loaded horn to augment the lows below 55Hz.
I understand that the bass frequencies are delayed by 3ms when they leave the horn.

Possible yes but out of phase too...

Will I hear a difference if I delay the woofers by 3ms?

In optimal situations then yes, you will notice the delay having multiple effects.

Adding a subwoofer in a listening room will not be an optimal situation though (think about what the listening room is doing at those low frequencies!) where not just the physical delay can be a problem but also the delays introduced by the crossover and phase turns caused by standing waves, the crossover and also the horn itself.

The most optimal way to add and integrate a subwoofer would be with the help of a digital device and the ability to measure to know what is changing with the disadvantage that you will become crazy and further away from your initial plans.

My advise would be to keep it simple and place the subs physically on time and play with the available crossover settings of the subwoofer module(s) and listen while trying to improve and forget about a flat response from 20-55Hz as it will never happen...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread