Which Oris (Oris Horns)

by Hifido, Monday, April 13, 2009, 20:29 (5486 days ago)

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

I am looking to join the oris horn club. The problem I have is the size of my listening room 12ftx12ft. I think I would like to use the 250 horn as this has a smaller dimention than the others.

Does anyone have any thoughts which would be the best bass cabinet for use in my space?
Also driver selection for bass? for horn. compression or fostex, lowther, etc?

This will be my first horn system.(so I would like cost to be under control) I am a fine furniture maker so any woodwork is not a problem. Also these horns are to run with type 45 mono-block amplifiers.

look forward to replies.

hifido (Canada)

Which Oris

by Gasper, Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 08:21 (5485 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

Hello Hifido! Welcome!:bey:

I am looking to join the oris horn club. The problem I have is the size of my listening room 12ftx12ft. I think I would like to use the 250 horn as this has a smaller dimention than the others.

You can use 250 or 150; with 250 you will get some wider sweetspot, but you have to tune bass a litle higher than with 150 horn.

Does anyone have any thoughts which would be the best bass cabinet for use in my space?

I would go with BD-Design Compact Bass - a little big but all the wories about which bass are gone...:wink:

If your budget is limited than (for the start) go with some Fostex...

This will be my first horn system.(so I would like cost to be under control) I am a fine furniture maker so any woodwork is not a problem. Also these horns are to run with type 45 mono-block amplifiers.

With DIY you can save a lot of money. If you will get horns you can make bass enclosures "in house" - I'm shure the plans are somewhere out there...:cool:

look forward to replies.

hifido

Regards,

Gasper.

Which Oris

by Hifido, Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 14:37 (5485 days ago) @ Gasper

Hi Gasper.

Thank you for your reply and great information given. As I am a newby to horn systems in general. I need all the advice I can get.
Which fostex driver do you recommend?

Thanks again. Hifido.

Which Oris

by Gasper, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 12:29 (5484 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Hifido!

I can not recomend you anything because I went with Lowther DX3 from the start. But I can tell you that this driver suits well in 150 horn...
Not so much help, ha :shame: , but keep asking...:wink:

Regards,
Gasper.

Which Oris

by Hifido, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 14:59 (5484 days ago) @ Gasper

Thanks Gasper. Bert as also mentioned the lowthers work well with the 150 horn.
worth considering I feel.

Hifido.

Which Oris

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 09:59 (5485 days ago) @ Hifido

Welcome Hifido,

It does not matter which horn you choose for the small room as both can be listened from close range and can be placed in the corners. The depth of both horns is equal...

The 150's are a bit more easy to integrate due to their lower crossover frequency but the 250's sound a bit more open if used with full range drivers.

In such a small room you do not need too much output so basically you can use several options. What to use depends a bit on the horns used on top where the quality of the bass becomes more important when the crossover frequency is higher.

In combination with your 45 amps and the short listening distance I would opt for a Lowther (DX2 as minimum) with either the Oris 250 or 150 horns. For bass of course an active system using the BD15's but then in smaller reflex enclosures than original (120liters internal volume). You could even use only one bass system as directivity in the bass in such a small room does not have much effect on the imaging...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Which Oris

by Hifido, Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 14:59 (5485 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert.

Thank you for your reply.And very interesting thoughts. I have some questions. If you could kindly help?

Could you let me know the dimentions of the 150 horn?

You mention using the BD 15 in a smaller reflex enclosure. Do you have a drawing available?

With such a small space available. The idea of using 1 bass system is vey appealing.

Would the placement of the bass enclosure be critical?

Might be nice to just have the horns facing the listener. And the bass enclosure someware else in the room.

Thanks again. Hifido.

Which Oris

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 21:02 (5485 days ago) @ Hifido

Hey Hifido,

I have used my Oris 150 horns in a room only 12 ft. wide, and I found it entirely acceptable to listen to them when placed very near the side walls.

I have owned and have experience with both Lowther and AER drivers in Oris horns including both company's top of the line driver suitable for this use. I have found the AER drivers to be clearly sonically superior. Bert shared this opinion when he was a dealer for AER and not for Lowther.

My overall opinion of the Oris horns is that they are splendid. Your objective of creating a system incorporating Oris horns is very worthwhile.

Adios,
Don Reid

Which Oris

by Hifido, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 14:55 (5484 days ago) @ Don Reid

Thanks for your reply Don. For your advice and experiences shared. I do believe the oris horn system will be the best way to go. I just need to decide how I am going to build it. Driver choices,bass cabinets etc. Bert as mentioned maybe just using a single bass system which also sounds interesting. As I only have a small listening area.

Thanks again. Hifido.

Which Oris

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 15:07 (5484 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hello Don,

Thanks for your contribution but the options were given for a limited budget and not for the best possible sound no matter how much costs are involved.

Bert

--

Which Oris

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 15:11 (5484 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Hifido,

Could you let me know the dimentions of the 150 horn?

The Oris 150's are 78cm (30,7") in diameter at the mouth and in total 60cm (23,6") deep.

You mention using the BD 15 in a smaller reflex enclosure. Do you have a drawing available?

Nope but I can assist you to design one for your use with the proper port tuning if you decide to go for a BD15 as bass driver.

Would the placement of the bass enclosure be critical?

It should be in between the horns (same wall) closer to one side of the room (not in the center!), best place would be to find out yourself to find the optimum spot though...

Bert

--

Which Oris

by Hifido, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 19:50 (5484 days ago) @ Bert

Once again thanks Bert.

I notice on the site you have a new bass driver in the works BD12. I take this to be a 12inch bass driver?

Do you know when this driver will be available?

Also. I have done a search on the site. The vifa in your onken cabinet may be an option for me. As used in the past. Is the vifa driver model now M26-WRO908 ?

Thanks Hifido.

Which Oris

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 21:29 (5484 days ago) @ Hifido

My pleasure... :hi:

I notice on the site you have a new bass driver in the works BD12. I take this to be a 12inch bass driver?

The idea was a 12" driver but I can't get it to sound the way I like, probably because the smaller driver does not have the weight of a good 15"

I dropped the idea and will remove that information (I thought I already did though).

Also. I have done a search on the site. The vifa in your onken cabinet may be an option for me. As used in the past. Is the vifa driver model now M26-WRO908 ?

It was this one below and probably still available but not for private persons as it is an industrial driver. If you want to go with this then I would suggest to get a pair...

[image]

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread