front horn for the bass (BD-Design)

by lucanato @, bari-italy, Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 23:50 (5409 days ago)

hi bert,
here i am since very long time..
i always follow your web site expecially the showroom.. wow
after many months i've found a nice guys who built fot me a self made azura horn (le cleach) and i've put it in front of my lowther...woww
i remember you that i have an altec 414 16 ohm in a reflex 60 litrs under the lowther.
Now i would like to experiment another front horn to the altec ,until 200 hz like the lowther one and convert the reflex in a petite onken (100 litres?)

i have seen that you and also the v52 website use this mix to cross better the upper and the lower loudspeaker.

Now i'm without any crossover.. but biamping

Next step is to find the right crossover,the behringer is awful and without anything the mids of the altec help a lot to give body to the mids of the lowther sometimes is good sometimes less.

the lowther is without nothing in the rear (dipole) may be i'll try to charge it with a cilinder case..

do you encourage this experiment? have you any advice?

thanks a lot for any advice

front horn for the bass

by Bert @, Thursday, June 25, 2009, 09:44 (5409 days ago) @ lucanato

Hi Lucanto,

i always follow your web site expecially the showroom.. wow

Yes, it is a nice place to be... :cool:

after many months i've found a nice guys who built fot me a self made azura horn (le cleach) and i've put it in front of my lowther...woww

Lowther drivers were originally designed for front loaded horns and therefore they do sound best when they are actually loaded with a front horn balancing the frequency response. A horn with the La Cleach curve is doing okay and I think it can also be used to combine with a horn loaded bass system for optimal integration.

i have seen that you and also the v52 website use this mix to cross better the upper and the lower loudspeaker.

Not just the square horns shown there but also the modified Oris 150's on the Ultra system and also the Swing system uses this principle with success.

This basic idea of having almost identical radiating sources in the crossover range works best but to find the optimal horn length and throat size has to be done experimentally. I can't help you with that (no formula's you could use) or simulators which combine a front horn with a reflex bass system...

The only way to make it work and to learn what type of crossover you'll need is to experiment and measure the frequency response. Changing drivers makes it already needed to change the size of the throat for a smooth transition between horn and reflex...

If you caNot measure and see what you are doing then it is basically impossible to do, you can't predict what is going on.

the lowther is without nothing in the rear (dipole) may be i'll try to charge it with a cilinder case..

It would be very helpful to close the rear sound of the Lowther because now you have a phase problem making it basically impossible to integrate the lowther acceptable with any bass system.

Good luck.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

front horn for the bass

by lucanato @, bari-italy, Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 14:43 (5404 days ago) @ Bert

thanks bert,
Now i know i have many experiments to do..
let's see and i'll tell you how it'll go..

keep on doing like this

regards from italy (bisceglie-bari)

luca

here i am ,to the left, with my ..experiment in front of a friend of mine system

[image]

front horn for the bass

by antonio, Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 08:42 (5403 days ago) @ lucanato

Ciao Luca,
se ti può essere d'aiuto io uso da anni con grande piacere e soddisfazione l'Oris 150 con un Lowther PM2MKII con diaframma AER in abbinamento con la sezione bassi delle Klipschorn. In alternativa l'Altec 604 D sempre accoppiato ai bassi delle Khorn.
ciao

Antonio

front horn for the bass

by lucanato @, bari-italy, Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 11:16 (5403 days ago) @ antonio

thanks antonio,
i continue my effort to write in english..
but if you write me privately at lucanato@yahoo.com we could exchange our phones and have a talk..

do you have a picture of your system in bert's showroom, send me the link.

i knew the khorn solution but a lot of people said that anyway you need a subwoofer (also in the v52 website), but perhaps it depends on how much large is your room... mine is about 25 square metres so maybe the 50hz of the khorn are enough, i would like to listen the khorn before..

another point is that i would try to keep the 414 16 ohm and going on with them.. i want to stop selling and buying..

the AER upgrade is in my mind but it costs 1000 euro for only the cones substitution so they have to wait..

front horn for the bass

by Gasper, Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 16:53 (5403 days ago) @ lucanato

Dear Lucanto!

If you would like to listen to them, you can pick them up in Slovenia - I have a nice pair :blush:

See my old pisture in Showroom - Gasper.

Regards,

Gasper.

RSS Feed of thread