Positioning Oris 150 (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, September 05, 2009, 08:17 (5340 days ago)

Hi Bert et alii,

I have been listening to Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s since 2004 with great enjoymemnt and satisfaction. If I remember correctly your recomendation of positioning of the horns for best imaging was such that the axis of the two horns/drivers would cross above the head of a listener seated in the central sweet spot. After trying various positions of the horns this is the placement I selected. I made a jig to hold the laser gunsight off my assualt rifle so that its beam projects along the axis of the horn/driver combination This allows me to position the two Oris horns with great precision.

I have two quick easy questions. Is this still your preferred positioning of Oris horns, and how far above the listeners head should the axis of the two horns be when they cross? My listening chair is about 4.5 meters away from the Oris horns if that is relevant.

In years past I would have answered these questions for myself by listening, but I have sustained a hearing loss which maskes that an unreliable method now. I am going to have a few members of our informal local audiophile club over to hear some new folded corner horns woofers I built to use with the Oris, and I would like for the combination to make as good a first impression as possible.

Thanks in advance fopr your help.

Adios,
Don

Positioning Oris 150

by Bert @, Saturday, September 05, 2009, 13:29 (5340 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hello Don,

I have two quick easy questions. Is this still your preferred positioning of Oris horns, and how far above the listeners head should the axis of the two horns be when they cross? My listening chair is about 4.5 meters away from the Oris horns if that is relevant.

Yes, it is still my preference and also pointed to a spot about 1m behind me. I would say about 30-50cm above your ears at 1m distance behind your head.

Enjoy the tests with those new folded corner horns woofers in combination with the Oris horns!

Will there be more information available of your new bass systems when the tests are done? Pictures, drawings and describtion are welcome... :wink:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Positioning Oris 150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, September 09, 2009, 07:30 (5336 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

Thank you very much for the helpful post. I'm sorry I took so long to reply, but I have been out of town. I will definitely try positioning the Oris as you suggest.

I haven't been home long so I will wait and post again about the new woofers soon.

Thanks Again,
Don

Positioning Oris 150

by doug s., Friday, October 23, 2009, 20:08 (5292 days ago) @ Bert

hi bert,

do you recommend this, even when seated as close as 2.6m? i have found a small sweet spot when centered this way, and i toe them in so they cross a little bit in front of the listening position. i would be interested in another opinion; also what would you recommend re: distance between the speakers at this close a distance.

oh, how i long for a set-up that enables me to sit at 4m away. :>)

best,

doug s.

RSS Feed of thread