DIY-BD15 (BD-Design)

by Eddie @, Friday, October 23, 2009, 21:12 (5293 days ago)

[img]images/uploaded/200910232101384ae1fd92314ba.jpg[/img]

Hello all,

I have been following the developments of Bert's speakers and other stuff for a long time. My first visit to Bert was for the purpose of hearing the famous Hedlund horn. Later I heard other horn systems including the Swing. I moved from horns to open baffle, but for the bass I remain a big fan of the BD-15. In the early days Bert was much more involved in DIY than he is now. However, I built my own bass reflex enclosure but had to admitt that the sound of the Swing beats my system in the lowest registers.

So I have been thinking a long time on how to build a better box. During this summer I worked on it and you can see the result on the photo. A few highlights: a 3-D frame for rigidity, a curved back wall to avoid resonances, the walls are made mainly of 12 mm thick bitumen plate to absorb the sound (60 kg of bitumen per box), the top plate can easily be taken off to change the amount of damping.

The result is that this box is much better than my old one but mostly in the upper part of its frequency range. I think that this is due to the good absorption of the walls. The lowest frequencies did not change much, probably because the room acoustics have a big influence here and I did not change that. That is still one of the topics on my wish list.

All in all I am satisfied with the sound and the looks of my new speakers, DIY can still be rewarding.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Very nice!

by samoore @, Saturday, October 24, 2009, 20:28 (5292 days ago) @ Eddie

This is the type of post that keeps me coming back to Bert's site! I like the removable top for tuning purposes, but how do you get a good seal so air doesn't leak? Good stuff, keep us updated.

Steve

Very nice!

by Eddie @, Sunday, October 25, 2009, 23:47 (5291 days ago) @ samoore

Hello Samoore,

If the cover is on the box the overlap along the edge is at least several centimeters. The lowest layer of the cover is very soft but airtight. So when all the screws are inplace the leakage will be very low. Take also in to account that the reflex port is 10x30 centimeters, that is very much larger.

Kind regards,
Eddie

DIY-BD15

by Bert @, Saturday, October 24, 2009, 22:48 (5292 days ago) @ Eddie

Nice job Eddie,

Must have been a lot of labor (as far as I can remember doing something similar myself in the past...) and I am sure it is worth the time spend! :yes:

In the early days Bert was much more involved in DIY than he is now.

Still am but not showing much to the outside world... :no:

Here is a small peek showing some future stuff (helping out the DIY-er when ready). Something similar will be CNC'd from Birch Ply as internal construction for a new Reference (DIY) enclosure...

[img]images/uploaded/200910242245424ae367762e7f8.png[/img]

The shown construction is for a new Bass Tower design (using 2 BD15's per channel) :cool:

Thanks for sharing though, you can be proud!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

DIY-BD15

by Eddie @, Monday, October 26, 2009, 00:06 (5291 days ago) @ Bert

Must have been a lot of labor (as far as I can remember doing something similar myself in the past...) and I am sure it is worth the time spend! :yes:

Hello Bert,

I deliberately did not count the hours. A hobby should be a nice way to keep yourself busy and for me that was the case.

Yesterday and today I updated my homepage. You can find more information there on this box and the rest of my equipment at: http://www.phys.tue.nl/EPG/veldhuizen/hobbies.htm

Kind regards,
Eddie

DIY-BD15

by leifchristensen @, Monday, October 26, 2009, 10:29 (5290 days ago) @ Bert
edited by leifchristensen, Monday, October 26, 2009, 11:14

Hmmmm. that looks familiar?:grin:

best
Leif

DIY-BD15

by Dale, Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 13:25 (5289 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Very nice Bert..who is the lucky customer? :grin:

Regards,
Dale

DIY-BD15

by leifchristensen @, Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 08:57 (5288 days ago) @ Dale

mine have been playing for several years replacing 4 Avantgarde CTRL225 subs

[img]images/uploaded/200910280856454ae7f93d0b493.jpg[/img]
best
Leif

DIY-BD15

by Bert @, Thursday, October 29, 2009, 15:35 (5287 days ago) @ Dale

Very nice Bert..who is the lucky customer? :grin:

Hopefully many... the system will be worth it!

Bert

--

DIY-BD15

by Bert @, Thursday, October 29, 2009, 15:36 (5287 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Hmmmm. that looks familiar?:grin:

Yep, but as they say; there is always way for improvemens! :cool:

Bert

--

DIY-BD15

by Russell Craig, Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 06:48 (5288 days ago) @ Bert

Very interesting! Looks like it's a good thing that I've not yet managed to build my Reference enclosures!:grin:

You know my mission has always been to get some kind of enclosure kit from you Bert:wink:

Could this be one step toward that goal? Inquiring minds want to know:read:

DIY-BD15

by Bert @, Thursday, October 29, 2009, 15:40 (5287 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hey Russell,

You know my mission has always been to get some kind of enclosure kit from you Bert:wink:

It will still be some work to finish, even with the matrix in kit-form...

Yep, I am sure it will but final experiments have to be done first to be able to give full support. Too many unanswered questions at this moment...

You'll have to be patience!

Bert

--

DIY-BD15

by Russell Craig, Friday, October 30, 2009, 02:51 (5287 days ago) @ Bert

It will still be some work to finish, even with the matrix in kit-form...

Well, as they say, "no pain no gain".

My ideal scenario would be to buy a complete enclosure kit as a flat pack from you.

I'd rather see any profit from enclosure manufacture go to you as a return on your intellectual property, rather than to a cabinet maker who would have no prior experience of making the enclosure and who, I'm sure, would not produce as high a quality result as you could deliver.

I'd happily take responsibility for assembly and exterior finishing of an enclosure, and would be prepared to pay significant shipping costs for the privelege.

Yep, I am sure it will but final experiments have to be done first to be able to give full support. Too many unanswered questions at this moment...

You'll have to be patience!

If true enlightenment is to be found one must always wait patiently at the feet of the master:grin:

DIY-BD15

by Gasper, Thursday, October 29, 2009, 10:45 (5287 days ago) @ Bert

Do I smell a new BASS here?!?:embarressed:

:biglol:

:yahoo: :bass: :xtc:

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

G.:cool:

DIY-BD15

by Dale, Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 13:24 (5211 days ago) @ Gasper

looking forward to show off the Reference BD15 with the new V2 Matrix :shame:
As usual Bert has done a fantstic job, pictures to come in March...due to owner (me) moving into new locations :grin:

Regards,
Dale

DIY-BD15

by Bert @, Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 22:51 (5211 days ago) @ Dale

As usual Bert has done a fantstic job, pictures to come in March...due to owner (me) moving into new locations :grin:

Thanks for the trust Dale and enjoy them for real once they come into "play". They're worth every minute! :cool:

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread