Ohms? (BD-Design)

by samoore @, Friday, December 25, 2009, 02:13 (5208 days ago)
edited by unknown, Friday, December 25, 2009, 02:34

Hi Bert,

Happy Holidays! Am I correct in thinking that the BMS drivers in the Orpheans are 16 Ohms? I have a new amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue Two Integrated) with 4 and 8 Ohms taps and a rather high output impedence. I am wondering if I can hook up the BMS drivers to the 4 Ohm taps to get a bit better "control" over them. What do you think?

Also, what cables do you use between your amp and horns? I would like to upgrade to something a bit more neutral than my old Nordost Superflatline bi-wire.

Steve

Ohms?

by Bert @, Sunday, December 27, 2009, 22:00 (5205 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, I hope you have a good time too... :drinks:

Am I correct in thinking that the BMS drivers in the Orpheans are 16 Ohms?

Average the Orphean is 12ohm...

I have a new amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue Two Integrated) with 4 and 8 Ohms taps and a rather high output impedence. I am wondering if I can hook up the BMS drivers to the 4 Ohm taps to get a bit better "control" over them. What do you think?

Usually a lower impedance tap sounds better though...

I can't say which taps you should use. It is mostly impossible to predict which works best on a certain tube amplifier.

Think the low power you'll need and other things (like impedance) that changes the tube behaviour keeping it in its optimal range or takes it out too much from there..

Best way will always be to try it yourself and listen to what works best in your situation.

Also, what cables do you use between your amp and horns? I would like to upgrade to something a bit more neutral than my old Nordost Superflatline bi-wire.

I am using Duelund cabling which work perfectly well within my system.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Ohms?

by samoore @, Monday, December 28, 2009, 22:30 (5204 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert, I will try both sets of output taps to determine which sounds best. How much would a 3 meter set of the Dueland speaker cables cost me? Do you have a pic of them or a description of their construction? I can't seem to find one on your site.

Steve

Ohms?

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:23 (5203 days ago) @ samoore

I will try both sets of output taps to determine which sounds best.

Okay, let me know how it turned out.

How much would a 3 meter set of the Dueland speaker cables cost me? Do you have a pic of them or a description of their construction? I can't seem to find one on your site.

The price depends on the type and if you want them to be terminated...

I am using type 0.5 without any plugs (same type as used within the Orphean crossovers).

See picture for the different available types.

[img]images/uploaded/200912301020004b3b1b40ee385.jpg[/img]

All are single stranded, you'll need four of these for a stereo loudspeaker connection. Prices then start at around 100 Euro the meter...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Ohms?

by Gasper, Thursday, December 31, 2009, 09:09 (5202 days ago) @ samoore

Dear Steve!

I am using 0.5 version for internal wireing between crossover for bass amp and Lowther. I am using it without connectors which I think is the best way. The sound is transparent, clear, dynamic. It is wery sweet cable (wire) and very natural. Highly recomended. When I will go with BD30 I will shurely go with Duelund for internal wireing but with 2.0 with more "weight"...

See you in 2010...:biglol:

Regards,

Gasper.

Ohms?

by Gasper, Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 08:36 (5176 days ago) @ samoore

Hello!

I have try to "drive" the Lowthers (8 Ohm version) with 4 and 8 Ohm on AudioNote and it is clear: 4 Ohm rules!

Regards,

Gasper.

RSS Feed of thread