Shape of Reference Bass system (BD-Design)

by vesajus @, Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:53 (5210 days ago)

Hi,

I'm planing to make new bass cabins for my reference bass set. Currently I have possibility to use carbon fibre as main material, so shape is not limiting that much as with wood. Is there any limitations when I start to plan new shape for cabins? Capasity ofcourse must be kept same and is there any advice if I'm going to make internal structure like this http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=16213.

Br. Vesa

Shape of Reference Bass system

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, January 14, 2010, 16:40 (5210 days ago) @ vesajus

Sounds like a very nice project!
Can You build also sandwich-walls of the cabinet? Fill these with sand and build an internal matrix-structure inside.
The Basic shape I´s sugest like a drop ( for example the midrange enclosure of the big Bowers & Wilkins).
Please post photos, drawings, when Your plans are more complete.
Best regards
Stephan

by vesajus @, Monday, January 18, 2010, 11:32 (5206 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi,

Sandwich walls are possible and I think that I will make them in one form or another. First way is as you mentioned. This is quite easy way, basically this will require only double walls. One thing that I'm currently looking for is fill walls with proper sanwitch structure like this: http://www.ctihuatai.com/Products-sandwichEN.htm I need to talk with my collegues how this can be done. I will send pictures/drawings when I have some available. I assume that this will be my ultimate DIY speeker project :bass:

Br. Vesa

by Bert @, Monday, January 18, 2010, 21:00 (5205 days ago) @ vesajus

Dear Vesa,

I'm planing to make new bass cabins for my reference bass set. Currently I have possibility to use carbon fibre as main material, so shape is not limiting that much as with wood. Is there any limitations when I start to plan new shape for cabins? Capasity ofcourse must be kept same and is there any advice if I'm going to make internal structure like this http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=16213.

If you are going to use a matrix structure as pointed to (and used as intended) then the shape (externally) does not matter much, feel free to shape anything you like but keep in mind that the internal structure should have the same shape to make things extremely stiff.

If you are going to use the bass system up to 500-800Hz then I would not use similar material for the inner and outer walls, ligth constructions are stiff but can also be very "transparent" for sound (sound going through the wall making them audible like a carton door...).

Keep us posted!

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by vesajus @, Sunday, February 28, 2010, 15:51 (5165 days ago) @ Bert

Hi,

Some update to this project. Actual shape is not defined, but first tests with material are done. Basically material is good and will create rigid cabin, but cabin will remain too light. Basically only way to solve this is make two walls and fill empty space with sand. More information will follow.

Br. Vesa

Thanks for the update...

by Bert @, Monday, March 01, 2010, 11:31 (5164 days ago) @ vesajus

Yes, sand to increase the weight will be useful and it will kill all high frequency wall resonances too... :cool:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread