Bass equalization (BD-Design)

by samoore @, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 01:03 (5186 days ago)
edited by unknown, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 01:38

Hi Bert,

As you may know, I have the compact bass system with BD15 drivers under my Orphean horns. I am able to equalize the bass response in my room using a Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 between my transport and Benchmark DAC, so it is all done in the digital domain. It seems to be working out very well. My question is, with the Digital EQ, is any of the compact bass crossover network now redundant? Can I remove, for example, the crossover parts between the bass amp and BD15s (the big inductor and caps)? I just like the idea of having as few passive parts between the source and the bass drivers as possible. :wink:

Regards,

Steve

Bass equalization

by Bert @, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 10:27 (5185 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

Can I remove, for example, the crossover parts between the bass amp and BD15s (the big inductor and caps)? I just like the idea of having as few passive parts between the source and the bass drivers as possible. :wink:

Yes, sure you can! Not needed to have anything in the signal path for that matter except perhaps a parallel capacitor at the input of your bass amplifier to remove high frequency noise or "his" that might come from the source.

Choose a value so you cross above 500Hz...

Unless the bass amplifier is not without noise, then an inductor would still be needed just to get rid of that.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

That is great, questions to clarify....

by samoore @, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 22:46 (5185 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

So, I can remove the crossover between the bass amp and speakers? :blush: I still need a low pass filter for the bass cabinets so that they don't produce the midrange frequencies. Will the filter between the horn amp and the bass amp do this? Since the EQ is between the transport and DAC it caNot distinguish between the horn and bass cabinet, so I must have that low pass on the bass to make sure it doesn't try to sing! :shame:

Steve

by Bert @, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 22:55 (5185 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

I still need a low pass filter for the bass cabinets so that they don't produce the midrange frequencies.

Only to remove noise IF present...

I would use some sort of passive crossover network anyhow to prevent noise coming through.
I am not sure how you use the Behringer but besides EQ it also has a crossover option you can use? :confused:

Bert

--

by samoore @, Sunday, February 07, 2010, 23:11 (5185 days ago) @ Bert

This unit does not have a crossover option, unfortunately. All I can do is EQ the entire signal in the digital domain and send it on to the DAC.

Steve

by Bert @, Monday, February 08, 2010, 00:02 (5185 days ago) @ samoore

This unit does not have a crossover option, unfortunately. All I can do is EQ the entire signal in the digital domain and send it on to the DAC.

Ahumm... in that situation all crossover components should remain in the signal path. Sorry...

I was confused with the DCX2496 I am using myself here to do work in the subrange and EQ while crossing at the same time.

Bert

--

Oops, already did it!

by samoore @, Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:57 (5185 days ago) @ Bert

I measured the bass cabinet frequency response before and after removing the low pass in between the bass amp and the BD15. The results between the two were not drastically different. I would say that the lack of filter moves the bass cabinet roll-off from -12dB at 350Hz up to -10dB at 500Hz. I haven't had a chance to do any significant listening, due to the SuperBowl, but it doesn't sound bad so far. :cool:

Steve

I would say the midrange is a bit more

by samoore @, Tuesday, February 09, 2010, 22:10 (5183 days ago) @ samoore

dynamic, probably due to the increased activity of the BD15. This seems to make the entire presentation a bit more dynamic/exciting. I don't detect any drawbacks to the "imaging" or clarity of the midrange. :cool:

It certainly wouldn't work without the EQ to blend the bass into the horns, so try at your own risk. Your experience may vary. :wink:

Steve

I would say the midrange is a bit more

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 09, 2010, 22:15 (5183 days ago) @ samoore

I don't detect any drawbacks to the "imaging" or clarity of the midrange. :cool:

Are you playing the bass without any crossover now so that you can still hear all music coming from the BD15 when you disconnect the top horns?

...or did you only remove the passive crossover between the bass amplifier and the BD15?

Bert

--

Re:

by samoore @, Tuesday, February 09, 2010, 22:47 (5183 days ago) @ Bert

I only removed the passive crossover between the base amplifier and the BD15. I left the filter coming from the horn amp taps to the base amp fully intact.

Steve

RSS Feed of thread