Matrix principle used... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 10:25 (5138 days ago)

..for the new bass system replacing the DIY Reference enclosures.

[image]

The picture shows how the Matrix puzzle is designed and how it should be completed. When this is done then the whole should be covered with panels around it to close the box.

All you need is Polyurethane glue for wood, a few small cheap brushes to apply the glue, some clamps/weigths and a flat surface to work on with three lines of tape (to prevent that your work is glued tight to that surface) .

Pretty much straightforward and for almost everybody (with some woodworking skills) easy to finish at home...

Clear or.... :dntknw:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Matrix principle used...

by leifchristensen @, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 11:02 (5138 days ago) @ Bert

hello B
Is that matrix in the picture for 1 BD15?
best
Leif

Yes...

by Bert @, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 11:29 (5138 days ago) @ leifchristensen

..not yours! :no:

This one is using the same basic principle...

More complex though and therefore needs more attention but still... :good:

[image]

--

Matrix principle used...

by Gasper, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 15:37 (5138 days ago) @ Bert

Dear Bert!

As usual - Only the best from you!:cool:

Very cool stuff!:ok:

I am trying to stay peaceful,.....but :xtc:

Soon...:bass:

Regards,

Gasper.

Matrix principle used...

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 18:51 (5138 days ago) @ Bert

Hey Bert,

Aside from its desired and probably achieved practical purpose that is also a gorgeous excample of wood working skills. Back in the 1980s I designed and built matrix boxes for some 3 way d'Appolito enclosures with Dynaudio drivers using a forest of 25 mm wooden dowel braces, 18 mm plywood end of dowel sockets and mucho fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to tie it all together. It worked very well, but the inside of my enclosures were about as visually attractive as the rear end of a baboon. Yours is a much more elegant design.

The Dynaudio enclosures were very good speaker systems. All of the drivers were top of the line including the famous Esotar tweeters. Ever since I got my Oris 150 based speakers up and running years ago the Dynaudios have been moved to a basement bedroom where they probably aren't played more than one hour per year.

Don Reid

You're flattering me...

by Bert @, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 20:03 (5138 days ago) @ Don Reid

...but that is too much credit. Of course, I did design the DIY-construction for anybody easy to follow but the real work is done by a CNC-machine leaving the enjoyable work for the DIY-er who is going to put the puzzle together and enjoy the improvements after... :cool:

But if you already like this matrix then you should check out the Swing, that is truely a master piece but hardly suitable for DIY.

Cheers,

Bert

--

Matrix principle used...

by teigetje, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 20:11 (5138 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

So this is what we have been waiting for... :grin: Looks pretty impressive to me!
So now you have shown this, I surely want to see more of your latest creation.
Any idea about dimensions and size of the new enclosure?

Oh yeah, more pictures please... :wink:

Greetz, Frank

Matrix principle used...

by Bert @, Thursday, March 04, 2010, 20:34 (5138 days ago) @ teigetje

Hi Frank,

So this is what we have been waiting for... :grin: Looks pretty impressive to me!

Thanks... :thankyou:

So now you have shown this, I surely want to see more of your latest creation.

I will post available updates as soon as they are worthy enough to show... :wink:

Any idea about dimensions and size of the new enclosure?

Dimensions will be 976 x 473 x 456mm (H x W x D). This is the basic bass enclosure without external decorations (feet, covers, horn supports and/or other options).

Oh yeah, more pictures please... :wink:

My head is full of pictures but most of them are still waiting to be created from wood. :kiekeboe:

Bert

--

Matrix principle used...

by gary @, Monday, March 08, 2010, 10:56 (5134 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert,why have you chosen a 'matrix' design(apart from cabinet bracing) against other types of bass cabinet?Regards Gary.

Why a matrix design?

by Bert @, Monday, March 08, 2010, 11:16 (5134 days ago) @ gary

Hello Gary,

...why have you chosen a 'matrix' design (apart from cabinet bracing) against other types of bass cabinet?

For more than one reason as it does things a whole lot better than traditional bracing only making it all more stiff...

A matrix (with relative small chambers) also takes away the "hollowness" by reducing internal resonances (spreading and moving them up to higher frequencies). This way there is much less damping material needed to absorb the remaining unwanted noise compared to what you need for the same result.

Less damping material and the gained stiffness gives more output in the deepest frequencies (i.e. higher sensitivity, less losses due to vibrations) and in the higher bass frequencies less noise/distortion.

This results in cleaner and more tight bass, almost as if no enclosure is used but then without loosing efficiency by cancelling... The optimal way to support a quality driver... :cool:

Bert

--

Why a matrix design?

by Gasper, Tuesday, March 09, 2010, 15:04 (5133 days ago) @ Bert

Look what "the matrix" do to normal "enclosures"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTb1UPc1zvo

:grin:

Gasper.

RSS Feed of thread