PM6C (BD-Design)

by Daze @, Friday, May 14, 2010, 01:04 (5090 days ago)

Hello,

A friend of mine bought the Oris 200 a few years back, and never got around to using them.

I was wondering if, to get the project going, the PM6C drivers would be a good match with the 200?

Anyone tried them together?

PM6C

by Bert @, Friday, May 14, 2010, 07:35 (5090 days ago) @ Daze

Hi Daze,

I was wondering if, to get the project going, the PM6C drivers would be a good match with the 200?

Yes, even a very nice combination. :yes:

It does not always have to be the most expensive or the most exclusive driver for good sound.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

PM6C

by Daze @, Friday, May 14, 2010, 12:41 (5090 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert. So, Not much to gain if he would get the PM6A, or the DX-2?

Also, the horns he bought were for the 4 inch driver. We will need to cut it to fit the 8 inch driver. I've seen on some photos what seems to be a special rim (or ring) to fit the lowther... Is this right, or should we only use a MDF or ply ring?

Daniel

PM6C

by Bert @, Saturday, May 15, 2010, 08:58 (5089 days ago) @ Daze

Thanks Bert. So, Not much to gain if he would get the PM6A, or the DX-2?

The Alnico will sound sweeter and is a bit more analitical, the DX2 is generally not a better driver than the PM6C. If you already own a pair of PM6C's then I would not exchange them for another driver.

Also, the horns he bought were for the 4 inch driver. We will need to cut it to fit the 8 inch driver. I've seen on some photos what seems to be a special rim (or ring) to fit the lowther... Is this right, or should we only use a MDF or ply ring?

Lowther's do have a rim on their frame so if you can mirror this into the ring (made from MDF or Ply) then the driver will have a better fit. With a router this should not be much of a problem.

Bert

--

PM6C

by Daze @, Friday, May 14, 2010, 13:25 (5090 days ago) @ Bert

Oh, also, what is the ideal volume for the back chamber (PM6C / Oris 200)?
Is there an advantage to leaving the back Opened?

Thanks.

PM6C

by Bert @, Saturday, May 15, 2010, 09:02 (5089 days ago) @ Daze

Oh, also, what is the ideal volume for the back chamber (PM6C / Oris 200)?
Is there an advantage to leaving the back Opened?

2-5 liters will be okay. Problem with a fully enclosed volume (for optimal horn behaviour in the horn's lower frequencies) is that there is too much pressure behind the driver making it sound agressive (only the center of the driver will be able to move). The diaphragm itself is not capable to compress the air in the chamber so a certain leak to release the pressure is needed...

Leaving it open will be optimal for sound (read freedom of sound and the least pressure behing the driver) but at the lower frequencies you'll loose output.

If you have a few meters space behind the horns then the open back chamber will be benificial, if not then it usually will only disturb too much.

Bert

--

PM6C vs AER

by Daze @, Friday, May 28, 2010, 18:57 (5075 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for the response.

I have a chance to also use a pair of AER Mk1. These are not modified (for phase-plugs). The response might seem obvious, but I have read conflicting remarks opn this... Would the AER Mk1 be a big step up from the PM6C in the Oris 200?

PM6C vs AER

by Bert @, Monday, May 31, 2010, 11:25 (5073 days ago) @ Daze

Hi Daze,

I have a chance to also use a pair of AER Mk1. These are not modified (for phase-plugs). The response might seem obvious, but I have read conflicting remarks opn this... Would the AER Mk1 be a big step up from the PM6C in the Oris 200?

The AER with phase plugs will be a step up for giving more extention in the higher frequencies and softer midrange compared to the Lowther PM6C's at cost of dynamics.

Without phase plugs the presentation will be rather fuzzy and not as clear as it should but if you would have the Transparent Phase plugs then these can be mounted with double sided tape (the weigth of those plugs is very ligth making this possible).

[img]images/uploaded/201005311123514c03802712903.jpg[/img]

These are 89 Euro ( the pair, excluding VAT and shipping)

Bert

--

PM6C vs AER

by Gasper, Monday, May 31, 2010, 11:55 (5073 days ago) @ Bert

They look gorgeous, and presentation is outstanding...

:cool:
Gasper,

RSS Feed of thread