ORIS HORNS WITH SINGLE BASS CABINET (BD-Design)

by Hifido, Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 15:10 (5014 days ago)
edited by Hifido, Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 18:06

As I have a small listening room 12ft x 10ft. I have been thinking about building an Oris system based around a pair of 250 horns using 8" drivers mounted on metal stands. Their is an example in the showroom area of the site. I dont want the bass to be to over powering in this small space. So I am considering a single (1) bass cabinet to run with the 250 horns

Does anyone have experience of this type of set up?

Can anyone help with a suitable design/ drawing for a single bass cabinet?

I was thinking maybe a single horn bass cabinet. I am a fine furniture maker so would look forward to the challenge of building this type of cabinet.

I look forward to your replies. And any help you can give.

Hifido.

Good idea but...

by Bert @, Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 12:17 (5013 days ago) @ Hifido

I dont want the bass to be to over powering in this small space. So I am considering a single (1) bass cabinet to run with the 250 horns.

That happens in every room when the volume is set too high and the frequencies too deep...

Does anyone have experience of this type of set up?

Yes and should work fine in a small room but still I would use the corners and work in stereo...there are corner horns with a small footprint if you want to go the complex woodworking route.

Here is a link:

ATS Corner "horn" article from Klang und Ton and drawings...

You can use other bass drivers too if desired...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Good idea but...

by Hifido, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 00:38 (5012 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert.

Thank you for your reply. Your advise and link to ATS drawing is much appreciated.

Few question.

If using the ATS cabinets. Is it still necessary to use a dedicated amplifier for the bass cabinets?

Could you supply cross-over parts?

You mention alternative bass drivers may be used. Could you recommend suitable choice for these cabinets in my small space? I can get BMS & BEYMER and others over here in North America.

Which Version of the 250 horn would be best. For my situation 8" or 5" drivers?

Thanks again hifido

Good idea but...

by Gasper, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 07:57 (5012 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Hifido!

I have use 15mH and 150uF cap in L configuration for crossover at 150Hz (Oris150). Also I have use Beyma 15G350 driver but was hard to drive with just 8W (300B amp). In small room was quite good, but when I moved in bigger place I have to use bass amp (http://www.inosic.de/).

I have plans for enclosures (pdf) - if you need them send me an e-mail:
gasperjancigaj@yahoo.com.

Ciao,

Gasper.

Good idea but...

by Hifido, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 18:35 (5012 days ago) @ Gasper

Thanks Gasper for your advise and help.

hifido

Good idea but...

by Bert @, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 14:05 (5012 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Hifido,

If using the ATS cabinets. Is it still necessary to use a dedicated amplifier for the bass cabinets?

It would be most convenient changing parameters and tuning towrds your taste and room conditions.

Could you supply cross-over parts?

No problem but I will not have any idea what to send you if you want optimal results. I do not have those ATS enclosures to play with so I can't give any suggestions that would help.

Get a plate amp with built-in crossovers and subwoofer features and you'll make it work.

You mention alternative bass drivers may be used. Could you recommend suitable choice for these cabinets in my small space? I can get BMS & BEYMER and others over here in North America.

I would suggest the BD15's but any other quality 15" driver with low moving mass (Mms) and strong motor will work well I think...

Which Version of the 250 horn would be best. For my situation 8" or 5" drivers?

This depends on the drivers you have in mind for them. For budget situations I would use the 6.5" FE166E's (with EQ these play downwards to 180Hz!).

I am going to experiment soon with the new Lowther DX65 drivers too to see what these can do for me. Not the cheapest drivers but I do expect to get the most dynamical full-range driver configuration with this combination AND a relative low crossover frequency AND relative small size for going all the way down to at least 200Hz... :cool:

If this works out as expected then this could be a nice upgrade to replace your FE166E's in the future.

Cheers,

Bert

--

Good idea but...

by Hifido, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 18:33 (5012 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks again Bert for your advise.

nnew lowther driver looks very interesting. Look forward to your findings.

You mention using a plate amp for bass cabinets. Is there one you like in particular? (make/brand).

Thanks again Steve.

Good idea but...

by Bert @, Friday, July 09, 2010, 13:44 (5011 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Steve,

You mention using a plate amp for bass cabinets. Is there one you like in particular? (make/brand).

To be honest no as I always use the BD30 amps (not available for DIY) and tune the bass myself using that amplifier and own designed crossover without much freedom for the end user.

Other loudspeaker systems act differently and then more flexibility is desired to get things optimised yourself and to keep it relatively low cost such a plate amp is the best compromise...

I hardly used plate amps myself in the past so I am "blind" here.

Perhaps somebody else has more experience with plate amps to be able to give suggestions.

Cheers,

Bert

--

ORIS HORNS WITH SINGLE BASS CABINET

by Gasper, Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 16:36 (5013 days ago) @ Hifido

I have two for sale in black finish and black glass in front an at the top. :cool:
Very cheap: 350E both. See "old me" (Gasper) in Showroom. :wink:
I live in Slovenia.

Best Regards.

Gasper.

RSS Feed of thread