ATS CORNER HORN (BD-Design)

by Hifido, Thursday, July 15, 2010, 17:14 (5026 days ago)

Hello

I will be building the ATS corner horn bass speaker cabinets Can anyone advice me on how much damping is required in the cabinet. And were it should be placed?

Also I plan to use plate amps to drive the bass drivers1 per side. Can any one suggest the best type/ make for this purpose?

Thanks hifido

ATS CORNER HORN

by Gasper, Friday, July 16, 2010, 08:23 (5025 days ago) @ Hifido

Dear Hifido!

Hello

I will be building the ATS corner horn bass speaker cabinets Can anyone advice me on how much damping is required in the cabinet. And were it should be placed?

You have to strenth the front panel by adding another panel and two brackets. Also you have to calculate the volume of the driver's "back chamber" and than add damping material but some foam sticked on front panel will work ok.
[img]images/uploaded/201007160819134c3ff9e1463e1.jpg[/img]

Also I plan to use plate amps to drive the bass drivers1 per side. Can any one suggest the best type/ make for this purpose?

I have use 150W amp from company INOSIC wrom Germany and it was quite good. You will have some freedom with active bass...

Best Regards,

Gasper

ATS CORNER HORN

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Friday, July 16, 2010, 22:15 (5025 days ago) @ Hifido

I congratulate you on your choice, Hifido. In my personmal experience the best way to make a speaker system which includes any horns most seamless and singing in one voice is for the entire frequency spectrum being played to be played by horn loaded drivers.

Plate amps...

by Bert @, Saturday, July 17, 2010, 09:18 (5024 days ago) @ Hifido

Good! ;-)

I do not think you will need any damping material in the small space as high frequencies will not be played by the system and most damping material starts to do some effective work above 300Hz anyhow.

Also I plan to use plate amps to drive the bass drivers 1 per side. Can any one suggest the best type/ make for this purpose?

Gasper's suggestions seems an okay one but it has one problem (basically all have the same problem) and that is the crossover frequency which is usually 150-180Hz at the most. This migth be too low for your future Oris 200 system which is crossing at 220Hz...

Gasper uses the Oris 150 horns... :yes:

Nevertheless it might work out well anyhow but if not then you'll have to modify the plate amp's crossover section to make it cross higher in frequency.

Usually this is done by replacing one or 2 resistors (if replacable!) but you'll have to know which ones and with what value and then be able to check it's renewed range.

I could do that but I do not have those specific plate amps here at my place to see if that will be possible. You could ask the supplier?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Plate amps...

by Gasper, Saturday, July 17, 2010, 11:37 (5024 days ago) @ Bert

:blush:

Bert is right - I forgot to mentioned - 150 rules...

At Inosic has modified amps for my needs also...:cool: to cross at 155Hz :wink:

Regards,

Gasper.

Plate amps...

by Hifido, Saturday, July 17, 2010, 17:09 (5024 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert, Gasper&Don. For your replies. The inosic Plate amp looks very good . I feel it will give me great control over the bass in my small listening area. Which is just what I want. I will send them an email on Monday to get more information.

My 0ris 200 horns are on their way to me. should be here Tuesday. Thanks to' Daze' (forum member).

Bert has the back chambers on their way.

So Happy times for me:grin:

Thanks again guys for all your help.I'm sure I will have lots more question.

hifido.

Plate amps...

by angeloitacare, Sunday, July 18, 2010, 14:10 (5023 days ago) @ Hifido

Ludwig Richter of Inosic can modify his plate amps on demand for crossover up to 300hz/24db.
He has done so with the RAS300 i bought from him. :wink:

RSS Feed of thread