Reckhorn experiments (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Saturday, August 21, 2010, 10:33 (4969 days ago)

Hi All,

As promised some feedback about the experiments I did with the Reckhorn S-1, B-2 and A-403...

To be honest... all EQ functions are useless for the average user as its functionality does not act (not even close!) to what the manual is trying to believe you. You will need measuring equipment and knowledge to see what you are doing because the knob settings indication values are not correct...

On top of that is that the implemented functions are influencing each other making it nearly impossible to set it correctly by hand. Furthermore the EQ (room mode correction) does not work as it should (okay, it is doing something but with the effective Q being less than 0.5 makes it useless).

However, I did managed to adjust a pair of S-1's in a way that it does work very well with my Orphean MkII Ultra (REF2010) and I have to say I like it a lot! The sound from the S-1 is very good but that is all the good news...the S-1 is basically the only device that turned out to be useable (not the EQ...).

It could work too with other Oris systems but I do not feel confident that customers can tune this themselves without any help of useable measuring tools towards their satisfaction...

The B-2 (stereo!) could be used too but having the same limitations and awkward behavior as the S-1's and without the 24dB crossover on board...

Finally the A-403. Same story as above being basically useless in the EQ settings but the 24dB crossover seems to work well enough making it useable as amplifier with crossover in one external housing.

I have tested the internal A-403 amp without EQ itself (compared it to the BD30) and it does not impress me much. If you like a full bodied bass with enough output power then this is the amplifier for you but if you like clean, articulated and tight dynamic bass then its not for you.

The amp makes the BD15's sound like they are having more heavy diaphragms as common 15" woofers have and makes them tend to sound alike.

Still, for the money involved and if you know what you are doing and if you can measure to check things then it might be very useful for you in the end.

The S-1's will stay in my system until I have a more dedicated and for_all_to use solution and the A-403 is now used to drive my BIG subwoofer (home theatre only) where it seems very usable (used in combination with my Behringer Ultracurve 2496) for all frequencies below 23Hz...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Reckhorn experiments

by Russell Craig, Saturday, August 21, 2010, 23:41 (4968 days ago) @ Bert

HI Bert,

Interesting to hear the results you achieved. Guess I'll just have to keep waiting patiently.

In the meanwhile, have you seen this: http://www.marchandelec.com/wm8.html ( and also the X44EMB module) & this: http://www.firstwatt.com/b5.html ?

Maybe some more food for thought.

Russell

Reckhorn experiments

by Bert @, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 08:29 (4968 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hi Russell,

In the meanwhile, have you seen this: http://www.marchandelec.com/wm8.html ( and also the X44EMB module) & this: http://www.firstwatt.com/b5.html ?

Yes, I have seen these and both will probably provide decent solutions but in a way that it will be too expensive and overkill for what I have in mind. I do not need complete solutions but only a few options to make the REF2010 more flexible in use. Think of optimal pre-settings (crossover and related Q) which would only harm if these could be adjusted by the end user...

Just a small printed board with a few knobs to adjust and connect this in front of the bass amplifier used with the REF2010 is all I want. Or a pair of those boards in a small housing to make it a stereo device to have that closer to the rest of the equipment. It does not matter where this device sits anyhow because you only have to adjust and set it once and then it will/should not be touched again.

If people want to be able to control more (with a good change that you will set things wrong) then your suggestions might be a better choice although in that situation I would recommend the UltraCurve giving a lot more options for much less money...

Bert

--

Reckhorn experiments

by Russell Craig, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 11:28 (4968 days ago) @ Bert

I absolutely agree with your thinking - a simple crossover with adjustable level and the EQ down to 20hz is all I want. If wanted, anything more sophisticated could be done with an additional device (Behringer, Deqz, Reckhorn etc.).

By the way, what is the unequalized response of the Ref2010?

Reckhorn experiments

by Bert @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 12:49 (4967 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hi Russell,

By the way, what is the unequalized response of the Ref2010?

The bass starts to roll-off from 120Hz downwards exponentionally being -12dB at 20Hz. In principle strong enough for many listening rooms but if you want to have more deeper bass (for use as subwoofer or as stereo HT or High-End system) then this would be a nice option.

Bert

--

Reckhorn experiments

by Russell Craig, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 11:44 (4968 days ago) @ Bert

Or a pair of those boards in a small housing to make it a stereo device to have that closer to the rest of the equipment.

Definitely stereo for me please.

Reckhorn experiments

by leifchristensen @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 09:41 (4967 days ago) @ Bert

try the P-84 from Rod Elliot like I use; they´re exactly what you´re looking for!
http://sound.westhost.com/project84.htm
best
Leif

Reckhorn experiments

by Bert @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 12:46 (4967 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Hi Leif,

Yes, yes..I know you like it a lot and I am in contact with Elliot.

For me it is only needed to have an EQ to straighten out the bass (exponentially adding 12dB at 20Hz starting at about 120Hz) and a 24dB crossover which the P-84 does not give...

Thanks anyhow and I am sure I can work something out with Elliot.

Bert

--

Reckhorn experiments

by leifchristensen @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 12:50 (4967 days ago) @ Bert

the passive "flat to 18HZ" solution I tried, ruined the dynamics of the bass reproduction
much better with P-84
Now it´s perfect!:grin:
best
Leif

Reckhorn experiments

by Bert @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 12:52 (4966 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Hi Leif,

the passive "flat to 18HZ" solution I tried, ruined the dynamics of the bass reproduction much better with P-84.

The passive EQ I tried does not sound as good either as I have it now with the Reckhorn S-1 (only possible to about 25Hz due to that subsonic filter though!).

EQ for deeper bass should be done actively I guess... :wink:

Bert

--

Reckhorn experiments

by leifchristensen @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 13:19 (4966 days ago) @ Bert

I guess as well
and very selectively so as to not waste power
often taking down peaks,fills dips as a bonus result:cool:
best
Leif

Reckhorn experiments

by Gasper, Monday, August 23, 2010, 08:50 (4967 days ago) @ Bert

Dear Bert!

It looks you are trying hard to get The Best of The Best for all of us! :clapping: !

I hope you are enjoying the work you do and it does not give you headache...:heat:

:yahoo:

Regards,

Gasper.

Reckhorn experiments

by fu_man @, Friday, September 10, 2010, 09:29 (4949 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
I'm very slow off the mark on this one... thanks for the great review. What more could one want than a damn straight, authoritative, honest opinion.. how much is that worth!?!
Yep, thanks for doing the yards and sharing!
:grin:

RSS Feed of thread