Boomy bass? (BD-Design)

by Paul Folbrecht, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 23:50 (4967 days ago)

I have a pair of the Compact Reference bass cabs with 15" BD driver. The bass I am getting is on the boomy side. Now it may well be due to my room and/or EQ but I thought I would ask if this is typical. Are people able to achieve taught bass with these cabs?

I am using a Bel Canto ICE amp so there is no problem with power or damping factor.

Boomy bass?

by Russell Craig, Monday, August 23, 2010, 08:15 (4967 days ago) @ Paul Folbrecht

Hi Paul,

If you're getting boomy bass with those woofer cabinets I would assume it's the room causing the problem - Bert has placed a premium on designing woofer cabinets that produce quick, tight & tuneful bass.

Have you experimented with speaker positioning?

Boomy bass?

by Bert @, Monday, August 23, 2010, 12:41 (4967 days ago) @ Paul Folbrecht

Hi Paul,

I have a pair of the Compact Reference bass cabs with 15" BD driver. The bass I am getting is on the boomy side. Now it may well be due to my room and/or EQ but I thought I would ask if this is typical. Are people able to achieve taught bass with these cabs?

Thanks for the feedback...question:

How are those build? Using MDF and all damping material is used according to the plans?

If yes then it is possible that your room needs more damping material to lower the Q of the system. If not then perhaps other things have to be checked/changed to make the bass more dry and clean.

Please let me know.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Boomy bass?

by Paul Folbrecht, Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 02:21 (4966 days ago) @ Bert

I think they are built very solidly because they are 125 lb each - VERY dense.

I think it is just my room - yes, they are in the corners. That is usually a recipe for boomy bass. My fault.

But I have a DEQX on the way and I bet I can correct it very nicely.

Boomy bass?

by Bert @, Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 08:23 (4966 days ago) @ Paul Folbrecht

Hi Paul,

I think it is just my room - yes, they are in the corners. That is usually a recipe for boomy bass. My fault.

But I have a DEQX on the way and I bet I can correct it very nicely.

If you have your speakers in the corners then better add some dampingmaterial anyhow to lower the Q too, this will result in a much cleaner bass than just using the DEQX trying to fix it. Curing ringing or changing a hollow bathroom into a decorated living room is not something a DEQX can do...

The less you will try to correct the better the sound will be in the end.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Boomy bass?

by diz1, Sunday, August 29, 2010, 08:02 (4961 days ago) @ Paul Folbrecht
edited by diz1, Sunday, August 29, 2010, 08:06

Hi
I assume it is room acoustics and placement of the speakers
You should try to play with those parameters
Also, try to “float" the speaker with something like

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp