power regenerator (BD-Design)

by diz1, Saturday, September 25, 2010, 04:09 (4934 days ago)

What is the power consumption in watts per channel\ for the bass amp in the swing speaker?

Did you try the KE power station 75 and in what parameter the power station 75 would be different from that of the isol 8 power regenerator?

What kind of amplifier is inside the KE power station 75? Class D? switching?

power regenerator

by Bert @, Saturday, September 25, 2010, 08:26 (4934 days ago) @ diz1

Hi Diz,

Did you try the KE power station 75 and in what parameter the power station 75 would be different from that of the isol 8 power regenerator?

I tried it in combination with the CrazyA's (same amplifier you have for the bass) and it works very well up to a certain point where the power is not sufficient on higher levels (mainly in dynamical peaks). Therefore I can't recommend it for main amplifiers and especially those who need to power bass loudspeakers... 75Watt is then not enough but more than sufficient for CD-transports, pre-amplifiers, etc...

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Some more information...

by Bert @, Saturday, September 25, 2010, 15:14 (4934 days ago) @ diz1

Hi again Diz,

What kind of amplifier is inside the KE power station 75? Class D? switching?

The Power Station is 100% analog, nowhere you'll find any digital switching or other disturbing things...

The Power Station is build-up using 2 class AB voltage amplifiers (balanced) with a high current bias (that is why it get's pretty warm even with the rather huge cooling surface!).

The regenerated power is as clean as possible.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Some more information...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, September 26, 2010, 10:24 (4933 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo!

I build myself a bit more powerfull AC-Generator.
Continous output power is 300 VA, Peak output is 600 VA.
The unit is based on two analogue power amplifiers, operated in bridged mode.
Only for listening, the amps are switched on, all the other time the unit delivers filtered AC-Power, without running the amps.
Frequency and output voltage are adjustable. Also frequency sweep is include for demagnetisation.
UNit is rather heavy with about 30 kg.
Best regards
Stephan

[img]images/uploaded/201009261024144c9f032ea56de.jpg[/img]

Some more information...

by Klaus Wilke @, Germany, Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 08:19 (4931 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hello Stephan,

your AC power generator is looking impressive. Does it show any dynamic compression, and how does the sound compare to power conditioners and transformers?

Klaus

Some more information...

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 09:41 (4931 days ago) @ Klaus Wilke

Hallo Klaus!
In the set ups I used, there is no dynamic compression at all. Maximum power drawn was 200 VA, 800VA peak. I compared the unit to a Matra Space professionel isolation transformer, rated 3000VA: There was audible less noise and more detail in music. Also the flow of music was much better. I also compared the unit to a professionel Elgar 1200VA power source. The Elgar is very noisy, due to the used fans ( must be operated in a different room!) . On the sound I could detecht some grain and harshness with the Elgar.
Both units I used for comparison wre never developed for audio use, which can be seen, by the choiche of components and also can be heard.
At the moment, the new AC-source is used to fed my tube preamp (150VA), my active crossover (35 VA) and my cd-transport (20 VA). The use gives soe real improvement. All units ca kept on line, by bypassing the AC-Source, when not listening to music.
Best regards
Stephan

RSS Feed of thread