200/150 back chamber depth (Oris Horns)

by Butcus1 @, USA, Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 04:39 (4903 days ago)

I'm conducting a series of ongoing experiments and would like to know what to expect if I were to extend the back-chambers on my horns. The drivers are AER M3. - Thanks

200/150 back chamber depth

by Bert @, Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 09:29 (4903 days ago) @ Butcus1

Hello Butcus1,

I'm conducting a series of ongoing experiments and would like to know what to expect if I were to extend the back-chambers on my horns. The drivers are AER M3. - Thanks

Major effect is that you will lower the Q of the frequency response of the system and lowering the frequency of the impedance peak. Depending on the used bass system this might work out well or not at all...

For the Q of the frequency response it would be better to have a smaller rear chamber (lower volume) for the AER but then the pressure behind the driver will be higher and paper coned drivers (AER, Lowther, Fostex, etc.) do not like to be pressurised and then will give more distortion. The present volume of the horns is for most use the best compromise but you could find it to be different.

In your experiments, do try to leave the rear open too and see what this will bring to you.

Cheers,

Bert

PS. Do not forget to report back though...!

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Butcus1 @, USA, Thursday, October 28, 2010, 01:54 (4901 days ago) @ Bert

Bert
I purchased a pair of pillar tubes from the hardware store and fitted them on the back of the pair 200's. The result is that the stock chamber integrates better with the transmission line subwoofer. Now, with the AER MD3 in the 200's what driver should I install in my 150's. The sub has a 10" driver.
Thanks for your input.

by Bert @, Friday, October 29, 2010, 09:57 (4900 days ago) @ Butcus1

Hello Butcus1,

I purchased a pair of pillar tubes from the hardware store and fitted them on the back of the pair 200's. The result is that the stock chamber integrates better with the transmission line subwoofer. Now, with the AER MD3 in the 200's what driver should I install in my 150's. The sub has a 10" driver.

What do you have in mind for the 150's? Bass use, midrange use or full-range use? To make it an Ultra version then you should of course use the BD15's...

Bert

--

by Butcus1 @, USA, Friday, October 29, 2010, 16:46 (4900 days ago) @ Bert

Bert
After talking to another Oris enthusiast, I decided to keep the set-up simple. Since the 150 is supposed to offer better low end response I think I will experiment with moving the AER MD3 from the 200's to the 150's and adjust the sub accordingly. Am I heading down the right path?
Best regards,
Butcus1

by Bert @, Friday, October 29, 2010, 22:47 (4899 days ago) @ Butcus1

After talking to another Oris enthusiast, I decided to keep the set-up simple. Since the 150 is supposed to offer better low end response I think I will experiment with moving the AER MD3 from the 200's to the 150's and adjust the sub accordingly. Am I heading down the right path?

Ah, that is the idea... :grin:

Yep, the 150 will do many things better compared to the 200's. I do hope that the articulated low mid's can be followed by the subs though...

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread