ORIS horns (BD-Design)

by Ray P, Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 14:02 (4896 days ago)

I've got the Reference compact bass units well in hand so I'm turning again to what I will use for the mid/treble element. I already have a pair of Lowther EX4 units that are almost new so it makes sense to use them, at least initially (orphean units being the longer term goal). What I'm unsure about is the physical size and relative merits of the different Oris horns (150, 200 and 250) if used with my Lowthers, i.e. which one to choose?

Also, I know I'll need to apply filtering to the bass unit but will I need to use a filter/crossover on the lowther unit?

Help much appreciated as always.

Ray

ORIS horns

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 15:02 (4896 days ago) @ Ray P

...What I'm unsure about is the physical size and relative merits of the different Oris horns (150, 200 and 250) if used with my Lowthers, i.e. which one to choose?

The Oris 150 is the best choice for that driver (78cm in diameter at the mouth). The Oris 200 is not available anymore and the Oris 250 (55cm diameter at the mouth) is more for use with smaller full-range drivers.

Also, I know I'll need to apply filtering to the bass unit but will I need to use a filter/crossover on the lowther unit?

See: http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=16699

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

ORIS horns

by Russell Craig, Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 10:36 (4895 days ago) @ Bert

Just out of interest Bert, why did you stop production of the Oris 200's?

ORIS horns

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 11:21 (4895 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hi Russell,

Just out of interest Bert, why did you stop production of the Oris 200's?

To limit the range and stock for one but most important reason is that the new Oris 250 is a better sounding (more free) and better looking horn (especially in combination with the Oris 150/BD15 horns).

If you look closer to both horns then you can see that the Oris 250 is the little brother of the 150 (take the Swing as example).

The Oris 150 sounds best with an 8" full-range driver, but this driver sounds even better in the Oris 250 in combination with the Oris 150/BD15 horns (the Ultra system).

If you want a smaller horn then go for the Oris 250 using smaller drivers (Lowther's 5" series or the Fostex FE166E) as better overall solution.

The Oris 200's basically do not "fit" within the range...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

ORIS horns

by Russell Craig, Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 12:06 (4895 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert.

My next move once I have the REF 2010's will be to the Orpheans. This will then leave me with two Oris systems (Orphean/REF 2010 and Oris 200/Onken woofers). I am still surprised that I've managed to get this past my wife without complaint:grin:

I guess I could use the smaller system for home theatre purposes, but it really doesn't interest me. Perhaps I'll sell it.

ORIS horns

by Gasper, Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 07:39 (4895 days ago) @ Ray P

Definitely Oris 150 :evil:
And of course BD15 in Compact with BD30MkII:bass:

:iNocent::
Gasper.

RSS Feed of thread