New orphean set up (BD-Design)

by joespride @, Saturday, January 01, 2011, 00:17 (4836 days ago)

I recently aquired a pair of orphean horns with the BMS drivers and mk2 crossovers I have paired the horns with the best mid bass bins I have ever heard (edgarhorn Titan folded horns) I also supliment the bass with a pair of edgarhorn siesmic subs. It's my beleif this would be close to impossiable to beat. But I must admit the swing does intrigue!!!the only issue I seem to have is with the sensativity of the orphean my top amp is very limited or MUST have gain control. I'm currently using a 3/4 watt 10y amp on the top although at times it seems bright. I want to try a 45 amp on top when I get a chance. Joe

I would love to hear your setup....

by samoore @, Saturday, January 01, 2011, 22:46 (4835 days ago) @ joespride

Do you notice any delay in the bass response with the folded bass horns? If not, I am not sure what going to the swing would do for you considering the cost to switch. Perhaps Bert would have more insight on that topic as I have not heard either the Edgars or the Swings.

I think 45 based amp would be perfect for the Orpheans. Currently I am running a 20W integrated amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue Two), and it is just too much wattage/gain. It sounds pretty good, but I can't even get the volume control past 9 0'clock before I am blown out of my chair.

Steve

by joespride @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 01:07 (4834 days ago) @ samoore

The rub on the folded horn bins when used with edgarhorn top ends was supposed to be a hole in the midrange (Edgar crossed the bin at 350) Edgar addressed this with the Titan 2 straight horn which corrected the hole but caused delay issue. I'm crossing at 240 and don't notice any delay or holes in the midrange. I had a friend over that has better rats than I do and he fell in love with the integration of the mid and orphean I doubt seriously any other bases units could do better. At least enough to make it a worthwhile investment. I would welcome any visits to listen. I find more opinions tend to help. Joe

Where are you located?

by samoore @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 20:56 (4834 days ago) @ joespride

I am north of Los Angeles.

Steve

Where are you located?

by joespride @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 21:47 (4834 days ago) @ samoore

I'm afraid the drive might be too much :) I'm in PeGCsylvania. But if you ever happen to get to the east coast I'm only 2 1/2 hours from NYC by car. Joe

by Bert @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 22:10 (4834 days ago) @ samoore

Perhaps Bert would have more insight on that topic as I have not heard either the Edgars or the Swings.

Everything is a compromise...the Swing will be more coherent in the crossover range (no time delay or other phase related disturbing issues) and the Edgars are "more" real horns covering a wider range being more light weighted and more responsive in the upper bass.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread