Orphean mk2 crossover ??? (BD-Design)

by joespride @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 02:13 (4854 days ago)

Hello all. I recently aquired a pair of orpheans with mk 2 X-overs I wandering what the wire comming out the bottom is for. (Ground ???) Joe

Orphean mk2 crossover ???

by samoore @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 20:57 (4853 days ago) @ joespride

Is it coming out of the bottom of the crossover box or the bottom of the Orphean speaker? I don't have any extra wires protruding from my MkII crossover boxes, so I am at a loss on this one.

Steve

by joespride @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 21:43 (4853 days ago) @ samoore

Black wire comming from the bottom of the crossover box can't see if it comes from inside the box or if it is attached to a screw etc... As the output lables cover it. I would rather not damage the lables to look at it closer. Joe

by Bert @, Sunday, January 02, 2011, 22:06 (4853 days ago) @ joespride

Hi Joe,

Hello all. I recently aquired a pair of orpheans with mk 2 X-overs I wandering what the wire comming out the bottom is for. (Ground ???) Joe

Just back from being gone... :holiday:

That wire is an option you can use or not. Connect it to the positive tweeter connection and listen...it should give another sort of curve in the highest frequencies making things more fresh more off-axis.

Just keep it connected the way you like best.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by joespride @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 01:22 (4853 days ago) @ Bert

Welcome back Bert thanks for the reply. Hope your holidays went well. This is my 4th or 5th oris system. And to be honest I had no intention of putting another system togeather. I had found in the past that AER based oris systems were music dependant (what I mean is they did some music better than anything I had ever heard, but on other styles I always felt left out) so when I got a chance to get Edgar titans I jumped on it and I found the edgars were good on everything. (very well rounded) the gent I sold my oris aer combo to decided to let them go and I couldn't bear to see them go anywhere else so I bought them back. That's when my other friend decided he prefered AER drivers and we made a deal for the orpheans ( I figured the thing i liked about the edgars so much was the compression drivers lent themselves to any music better than cone speakers. Once I set the orphean atop the Edgar bins it was immediately apparent what the orpheans do better ( more focus, better extension, not as picky with set-up) then it was just a matter of integrating the amps, and setting the X-over points. I have the midbass cut off at 240 but I did notice in another thread you state the orphean is cut off at 270 via filter in the X-over is this right ??? Anyway it's great fun and sounds better than anything I have heard before. Keep up the good work. Joe

by Bert @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 13:39 (4852 days ago) @ joespride

Hi Joe,

Thanks for following my path... :cool:

I have the midbass cut off at 240 but I did notice in another thread you state the orphean is cut off at 270 via filter in the X-over is this right ???

Yes, the mid-range is already limited in its lower range (full Plug & Play!) and it does not need another XO. In your situation it might have helped integration though (your room and time delays) and could sound worse if you would take out the extra 240Hz Xover...only one way to find out! :dntknw:

Anyway it's great fun and sounds better than anything I have heard before. Keep up the good work. Joe

That's what it should be...

Cheers,

Bert

--

by joespride @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 16:36 (4852 days ago) @ Bert

Bert my crossover is a lowpass set up to limit the midbass from comming up to hi and muddying up the rest of the midrange but I am going to try it without a crossover now as you mention this is possiable I was going by past experience with previous systems. Joe

by Bert @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 18:46 (4852 days ago) @ joespride

Hi Joe,

Bert my crossover is a lowpass set up to limit the midbass from comming up to hi...

Then this should stay! I thought you were crossing the Orphean with an extra crossover (high-pass)...

Cheers,

Bert

--

by joespride @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 20:39 (4852 days ago) @ Bert

Bert I have been exceedingly happy to follow your line, I have ouned and heard several high end systems and I beleive oris horns are at the top of the heap. I read a thread where you suggest oris horns be set up to cross behind ones listening posistion and above your ears. Does this advice include orphean ??? What is the benefit of this setup as conventional wisdom says tweets ar ear level ?? Joe

by Bert @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 21:35 (4852 days ago) @ joespride

Bert I have been exceedingly happy to follow your line, I have ouned and heard several high end systems and I beleive oris horns are at the top of the heap.

Indeed they are... :satisfied:

I read a thread where you suggest oris horns be set up to cross behind ones listening posistion and above your ears. Does this advice include orphean ???

Yes, even the Orphean. Especially with the black wire connected this way of setting up the speakers would be optimal in tonal balance and presentation of the image. Even standing up the image will then remain believeable..

What is the benefit of this setup as conventional wisdom says tweets ar ear level ??

Basically it puts you more inside the presented musical event and also a bit higher than ear level. In reality this is the same situation and then think how you are sitting (leaning back et all) making it a complete "fitting" situation.

Most relaxing too... :good:

Bert

--

by samoore @, Monday, January 03, 2011, 23:11 (4852 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

I have the MkII crossovers, but I have never seen this extra black wire. Is it hidden somewhere or do I not have it? If it improves the sound of my Orpheans I would certainly be interested in finding it and trying it out. :drool:

Regards,

Steve

by joespride @, Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 02:20 (4852 days ago) @ samoore

Well I've spent the last 2 hours setting thing pretty close to your suggestions Bert the orphean drivers are about 12" above my ear level, I hooked the wire to the tweet section of the crossover, the horns don't cross / intersect right behind my head I adjusted toe in to about 10 or 15 degrees the speakers are 9.5 feet apart and I set 10 feet back from them with about 4 feet behind me and 8 feet behind the speakers ( I love a deep soundstage) I also took out the low pass X-over on the mid bass bins. It was immediately noticeable what had been missing. I had to adjust gain on the midbass way down to match the orphean (it's on a 3/4 watt 10y tube amp, and the mid bass is on a 300 watt crown amp) I must say it sounds very good !!!!! But may need a bit more tweaking........ :grin: More to follow I'm sure. Joe

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 16:55 (4851 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

I have the MkII crossovers, but I have never seen this extra black wire. Is it hidden somewhere or do I not have it? If it improves the sound of my Orpheans I would certainly be interested in finding it and trying it out. :drool:

You do not have (or need it) as it is already implemented in your crossover. :wink:

Bert

--

Thanks Bert! It's good to know that it is already done!

by samoore @, Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 17:43 (4851 days ago) @ Bert

No wonder they sound so good. :grin:

Steve

Thanks Bert! It's good to know that it is already done!

by joespride @, Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 20:36 (4851 days ago) @ samoore

So this was likely an early version of the mk2 x-over. Joe

RSS Feed of thread