Orphean Integration (BD-Design)

by skalos @, Friday, January 07, 2011, 22:38 (4851 days ago)

Hello Bert,

I have a pair of the original version of Orpheans. I am trying to integrate them with a pair of Acoustat 1+1s which cover f3 of 28hz to the 220hz of the Orphean. When I wish to play loud I use a DIY Dynaudio woofer form FS to 80hz then the Acoustats from 80 to 220hz. The Orphean is immediately to the side of the acoustats and centered vertically (approx 48" off the ground)to the height of the acoustats. I can send a photo if necessary. The Orpheans signal comes directly from an el84 set tube amp and the other speakers are actively crossed over with the Behringer 2496 and driven by their own solid state amps. I have set the levels to match and the low-pass crossover to the Acoustats is 48db LR. All levels have been matched.

I am not getting the sound I think the Orpheans can offer. The Orpheans sound very clear but they still sound bright even though the levels have been matched. They don't have the sweetness in sound I expected. I have tried centering the acoustical center of the Orpheans (you stated at some point that was ~ 53cm from the front of the horn at 220hz)to the center of the Acoustats and I have tried different toe-in angles.

What might I try next?

Thanks in advance

Orphean Integration

by samoore @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 04:15 (4851 days ago) @ skalos

The Orpheans will tansmit anything that is upstream of them, good or bad. What is your EL84 am and what is your source?

Steve

Orphean Integration

by skalos @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 18:31 (4851 days ago) @ samoore

Thanks.

I posted music chain in reply to Bert

Orphean Integration

by Bert @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 13:02 (4851 days ago) @ skalos

Hello Skalos,

What might I try next?

I would try to increase the crossover frequency and also make that less steep (try 24dB) to fill-in gaining warmth and perhaps you should also flip the absolute phase of either the Orpheans or the bass section.

When all is set to satisfaction then also check the absolute phase of the whole, that matter much too...

Do you check the true output with real measurements or are you trusting figures and theory?

If there is lack of energy (or phase cancellation) in the crossover range then everything will sound cold(er) and hardly enjoyeable...

Bert

PS. It is always helpful and nice to see pictures... :yes:

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Orphean Integration

by skalos @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 18:30 (4851 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks. I will try all of your suggestions.

Music Chain

Rega P3 thru Bellari tube phono preamp
or Oppo CD player
or JRiver pc music server through Peter Daniel DAC

Bottlehead Fourplay preamp

IAG 4.5se el84 amp

straight through to Orphean

Base goes from Bottlhead to

Behringer 2496 crossover

Modified Hafler DH-500 ss amp

[image][image][image][image]

Orphean Integration

by joespride @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 19:05 (4851 days ago) @ skalos

I tried an el84 amp of supposed superior quality on my orphean 2's and couldn't get it back out of the chain fast enough, very bright and edgy. Joe

Orphean Integration

by skalos @, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 20:40 (4850 days ago) @ joespride

Interesting. What do you use now?

RSS Feed of thread