Please help to solve the problem (BD-Design)

by drquangle, Sunday, February 19, 2012, 02:16 (4443 days ago)

I have a pair of BD horn with bass compartment. My set up now is: CD tube player --> Mastersound preamp --> active crossover (pioneer d23) --> 2 amplifiers: Aural Thrill 300b monoblock 8wpc to horns, and solid state amplifier to bass compartment. I have a problem: the horn sometimes is on and off on one side, but not the bass compartments. I set up the preamp --> 300b monoblock --> horns, everything is ok. Please help. The active crossover set at 320hz between low and midlow. Thank you so much

Please help to solve the problem

by Bert @, Sunday, February 19, 2012, 13:29 (4442 days ago) @ drquangle

Which drivers are you using in the horns?

Did you try to exchange one BD horn? Did the problem go to the other channel?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by drquangle, Sunday, May 06, 2012, 23:29 (4365 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

My horns (with AER BD1) are working OK if I connect direct CD player --> preamp -->300B monoblocks -->horns. Whenever I set up CD Player -->preamp -->active crossover (Pioneer D23) -->300b monoblocks --> horns, there is a problem on one side of horn after 1/2 hour listening OK (the horn was silent after working awhile) . Do you think the crossover have a problem? wrong setup? or non match components?

Do you have any article How can I set up the passive crossover? I have a pair of filter from BD, too. Thank you so much for your help. Henry

by Bert @, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 09:02 (4364 days ago) @ drquangle

My horns (with AER BD1) are working OK if I connect direct CD player --> preamp -->300B monoblocks -->horns. Whenever I set up CD Player -->preamp -->active crossover (Pioneer D23) -->300b monoblocks --> horns, there is a problem on one side of horn after 1/2 hour listening OK (the horn was silent after working awhile) . Do you think the crossover have a problem? wrong setup? or non match components?

Best way to find out is to isolate the problem first. First step could be to switch the channels one by one until the problem moves to the other side. This should tell you which part is causing the problem...

I would love to help but at this moment I am in the dark because it could be anything...

If things works OK for half an hour and then something stops working then something is overheated or getting warm making a bad contact act broken?

Do you have any article How can I set up the passive crossover? I have a pair of filter from BD, too. Thank you so much for your help.

What filter do you have from BD. Do you have a picture?

Bert

--

by drquangle, Monday, July 02, 2012, 09:10 (4309 days ago) @ Bert

I figured my active crossover had 1 bad channel. I fixed it, and it works fine. Now I have a new problem. I would like to ask you how do we know the horn speaker is broken ( like tweeter damaged). My left speaker made a sound really loud after I turn on the amplifier (300b monoblock 8wpc) even though I didn't turn on crossover/preamp/cd player. I think it happened when I forgot to hook up my power cord of the active crossover then I hook it up without turning the switch on yet (at this time the monoblock amplifier and preamp was on), the loud sound of the L speaker has started since that time. Do you think the tweeter was broken? Thank you so much for your help

by Bert @, Monday, July 02, 2012, 12:00 (4309 days ago) @ drquangle

Hello Henry,

I figured my active crossover had 1 bad channel. I fixed it, and it works fine. Now I have a new problem. I would like to ask you how do we know the horn speaker is broken ( like tweeter damaged). My left speaker made a sound really loud after I turn on the amplifier (300b monoblock 8wpc) even though I didn't turn on crossover/preamp/cd player. I think it happened when I forgot to hook up my power cord of the active crossover then I hook it up without turning the switch on yet (at this time the monoblock amplifier and preamp was on), the loud sound of the L speaker has started since that time. Do you think the tweeter was broken? Thank you so much for your help

From previous posts I guess you are using AER BD1 drivers in the horns.

In that case there is no tweeter involved so this can't be broken...

Reading your present description makes me believe that perhaps a strong pulse might have damaged the coil of the driver. What you hear is probably the coil scratching inside the magnet cap?

I am also supecting a language problem, perhaps you can write up your story in French and then let Google translate it into English? Hopefully then you can give more details when you can freely write in your own language...?

Bert

--

by drquangle, Monday, July 02, 2012, 19:25 (4308 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert, Thank you so much for your help. When I test my horn connecting only to amplifier: turn on the power amp (300B tube monoblock 8wpc)--> in 10 seconds, the sound starts and louder --> lounder (it sound like te...te...). Do you think the coil damage. How can I fix? I am appreciated your help.

by Bert @, Monday, July 02, 2012, 19:30 (4308 days ago) @ drquangle

It sounds like an electronical error, try to exchange the channels (amplifier output connections). Is the noise still coming from the same channel?

Bert

--

45----- VT 52

by diz1, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 21:31 (4306 days ago) @ drquangle

i am using SET base on VT52 tube(plus WE 274B) made for me by Kumaro

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour16/roadtour16.html

VT52 is a special 45 tube
My tubes are Western Electric made in 1939
I use passive pre amp “lighter note “ Base on Light Dependent Resistors

for the swing it is a magic :grin:

45----- VT 52