Exploring a New Project (BD-Design)

by Ray P, Sunday, June 24, 2012, 11:52 (4295 days ago)

I've been using Lowther (EX4) equipped 'All Fun Horn' (smaller brother of the Big Fun Horn) for a number of years but I have the project 'itch'. I'm thinking of building something along the lines of the Big Fun, using the same Lowthers, which I really like, but equipping them with Oris 250/8 front horns as I believe this will improve mid/treble performance compared with a 'naked' lowther.

Just to refresh, the Big Fun is a back horn, designed to 'fire' into the corner of a room.

On details, I can see from the website that the 250/8 is 54cm diameter but couldn't see data on its depth, nor any pricing information?

Thanks for your assistance.

Ray

Exploring a New Project

by Bert @, Monday, June 25, 2012, 12:13 (4294 days ago) @ Ray P

I've been using Lowther (EX4) equipped 'All Fun Horn' (smaller brother of the Big Fun Horn) for a number of years but I have the project 'itch'. I'm thinking of building something along the lines of the Big Fun, using the same Lowthers, which I really like, but equipping them with Oris 250/8 front horns as I believe this will improve mid/treble performance compared with a 'naked' lowther.

It does but in a way that the total balance might be too lean in the bass. The BIG fun horn might be efficient enough though but to know for sure is to try I guess, including tweaking the rear chamber of the BF...

Just to refresh, the Big Fun is a back horn, designed to 'fire' into the corner of a room.

I remember... :wink:

On details, I can see from the website that the 250/8 is 54cm diameter but couldn't see data on its depth, nor any pricing information?

Pricing for a DIY-kit is the same as for the other horns (879 Euro for the pair excluding VAT, shipping will be different due to the sizes involved.

Depth of the 250/8 horns is roughly 21cm (without rear chamber).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Exploring a New Project

by Ray P, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 09:04 (4293 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert.

So the Oris improves the efficiency of the mid/treble as well as better presenting these frequencies from the lowther?

Perhaps I'll dig out some horn theory material - its been a long time since I read any and I'm sure I'll have forgotton more than I remember.

Ray

Exploring a New Project

by Bert @, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 11:20 (4293 days ago) @ Ray P

Hello Ray,

So the Oris improves the efficiency of the mid/treble as well as better presenting these frequencies from the lowther?

Yes indeed, but most efficient in the lower midrange and there the mismatch might occur to balance it out with the bass efficiency.

The BF is BIG and relative short so it could be efficient enough for a decent overall balance.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread