Would like some Specifics on Horns offered. (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 14:51 (3865 days ago)

I have a lot of general questions. I was interested in the Specs of the Horns you offered. The sizes of them. How you choose between them for a System etc. What type of drivers you recommend and prices. This information may be on your website, but I could not find it. If it is, all i would need is a link.

I currently use a Klipshorn Bass Bin and Klipschorn Tweeter with an Altec Multicell Horn - 1005B with Altec 288-16K drivers and Custom Passive Crossover. I was wondering if an Oris Horn would improve my System. I use SET amps Primarily Welborne 45 and 2A3 Monoblocks.

Would like some Specifics on Horns offered.

by Gasper @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 16:19 (3865 days ago) @ Kevin

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 17:19 (3865 days ago) @ Gasper

Yes, I have spent a great deal of time with the links you have provided. I must be blind as I caNot find the Physical dimensions of the Horns being offered anywhere in those links.

by Gasper @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 17:43 (3865 days ago) @ Kevin

It is where the prices are:

"Orphean MkII Horns

All introducing information above is related to the Orphean MkII as complete system itself which is using the same horns as shown here as DIY-kit which you can purchase without the other parts if you have your own thoughts using the horns for different 2" drivers or when you already own a pair of BMS 4592ND compression drivers.

The Orphean horns have their natural Fc set to 220Hz, they are 55cm in diameter at their mouth and 50cm in length. The used back cover is 20cm in diameter and 38cm long."
:wink:

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 17:51 (3865 days ago) @ Gasper

Thanks for the information. Is the sizing information available anywhere on the internet?

Also, when you said "The used back cover is 20cm in diameter and 38cm long.", I don't know what a 'Used Back Cover' is????

What I am trying to find out is the total Length of the Horns, with the Compression Driver attached. To see if it would fit in my space.

by Gasper @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 18:12 (3865 days ago) @ Kevin

It is copy/paste from BD-Design's web page (see " ")...:grin:

On picture the Orphean horn is on Compact bass enclosure which is cca 60 cm in depth, so I think that 50 cm is the right depth...

Mr. Bert will provide exact measurements.

:wink:

Gasper.

by Bert @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:42 (3865 days ago) @ Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum!

What I am trying to find out is the total Length of the Horns, with the Compression Driver attached. To see if it would fit in my space.

The longest Oris horn is the Orphean which is 50cm deep (without compression driver). The suggested driver for the horn (BMS 4592 with dedicated passive crossover) measures 11,3cm making the total depth 61,3 cm.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:57 (3865 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for your reply.

I have a lot of questions.

Do you normally use 2 amplifiers for an Oris System. 1 for the Bass and 1 for the Horn? Or can you hook up a passive Crossover and use 1 amplifier?

by Bert @, Friday, September 20, 2013, 09:18 (3864 days ago) @ Kevin

Do you normally use 2 amplifiers for an Oris System. 1 for the Bass and 1 for the Horn? Or can you hook up a passive Crossover and use 1 amplifier?

Basically always 1 separate amplifier for the bass is used simply because efficiency is lower in those regions and just adding gain makes the bass play louder.

It is a waste to attenuate the mid-high frequencies as this costs dynamics, clarity and efficiency when all is done passively.

Besides this it is cheaper too. In the low frequencies there are higher values coils and capacitors needed for the crossover and going active makes it more easy and cheaper to tweak. Just replace a few cents worth parts and the crossover is changed...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread