What would be my Optimal Oris Horn, Driver etc ? (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 00:44 (3869 days ago)

I have Klipshorn Bass Bins which I like. If I were to get a pair of Oris Horn. Which model would be the Best Oris Horn for me? Which Driver? Which Filter?

Which Options? Thanks.

Orphean...

by Bert @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 08:54 (3869 days ago) @ Kevin

Which Options?

The Orphean with standard crossover if you would ask me and for the bass a Hypex PSC2.400 DSP to tune the bass towards the Orphean and EQ some bass irragularities on the fly.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Orphean...

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 15:22 (3868 days ago) @ Bert

OK, thanks for your reply.

I would like to clarify your answers and a Question or two.
You are recommending.

1.) DIY Orphean MkII Complete (the pair) - which includes the Drivers. @ 2479 Euro
Does this price include the Standard Crossovers?

2.) Hypex PSC2.400 DSP - Would this unit function as an Amplifier also for Both of my Bass Bins? Or would I also need separate Amplifiers for the Bass Bins? Do you sell these? I do see where they are for sale in the States.

Orphean...

by Bert @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 16:38 (3868 days ago) @ Kevin

Does this price include the Standard Crossovers?

Yes...

2.) Hypex PSC2.400 DSP - Would this unit function as an Amplifier also for Both of my Bass Bins? Or would I also need separate Amplifiers for the Bass Bins? Do you sell these? I do see where they are for sale in the States.

A pair of build-in Class D amplifiers (can be bridged) are part of each Hypex plate amp but it has a single input so you'll need one for each channel.

Costs if purchased from me will be 250 Euro each (shipping free if ordered with the Orphean as it will fit inside the packages for those).

Bert

--

Orphean...

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 20:32 (3868 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks, I still have more questions.

1.) The Orphean Horn system seems to have a tweeter built into it, correct? So, in essence with my Bass Bins, I am still running a 3-way system? Correct?

2.) Is the crossover built into the Horn itself or is it using one of your external filters?

3.) I notice that you sell a pair of Filters. Is this one for each speaker?

Orphean...

by Bert @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 21:32 (3868 days ago) @ Kevin

1.) The Orphean Horn system seems to have a tweeter built into it, correct? So, in essence with my Bass Bins, I am still running a 3-way system? Correct?

Yes, yes... ;-)

2.) Is the crossover built into the Horn itself or is it using one of your external filters?

External

3.) I notice that you sell a pair of Filters. Is this one for each speaker?

One for each speaker yes. In the Orphean package all is included for stereo (filters, horns and drivers)

Bert

--

Orphean...

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 21:58 (3868 days ago) @ Bert

OK, Thanks......More questions....

1.) So, the total length of the Orphean Horn with Driver attached is about 61 cm, Correct?

2.) I am planning on putting the Horns on Top of my Bass Bins. Do you sell any Stands for these Horns, or do stands come with them? I want to make sure that they are mounted securely to my Bass Bins, so they don't vibrate off of them or create any additional noise.

3.) I would order them unpainted. Do you have any painting recommendations? What kind of paint is 'Luxury Painted' that is indicated on your website?

Orphean...

by Bert @, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 09:48 (3868 days ago) @ Kevin

1.) So, the total length of the Orphean Horn with Driver attached is about 61 cm, Correct?

Yes

2.) I am planning on putting the Horns on Top of my Bass Bins. Do you sell any Stands for these Horns, or do stands come with them? I want to make sure that they are mounted securely to my Bass Bins, so they don't vibrate off of them or create any additional noise.

I do not have stands for sale which are basically easy to DIY with the advantage having them at your specific dimensions. The tube at the rear can be drilled and used to screw things tight...

3.) I would order them unpainted. Do you have any painting recommendations?

A 2 component primer and then whatever you like on top of that. An experienced car painter could be able to do the job. Most tricky part with this horn is the deep and narrow throat which not all can or want to do...

What kind of paint is 'Luxury Painted' that is indicated on your website?

These are the special colours and metallics which require extra layers (more work).

Bert

--

Orphean...

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 14:29 (3867 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Again,

I have some questions as to how the filter is hooked up into your system.

1.) If there is 1 filter per speaker, I assume that there is one input into the
filter and 1 channel of the pre-amp goes into there, Correct?

2.) Then How many outputs are there in each Filter and where exactly do they go?

Orphean...

by Bert @, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 15:17 (3867 days ago) @ Kevin

1.) If there is 1 filter per speaker, I assume that there is one input into the filter and 1 channel of the pre-amp goes into there, Correct?

Pre-amp? No, just speaker level input and the two outputs going to the tweeter and midrange. Bass amplifier input is connected to the same input of the filter (or output of the main amp) and that output is connected to the bass driver.

--

Orphean...

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 15:43 (3867 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 16:31

Thanks again,

I'm a little confused, so I want to make sure I understand this. I got the idea that the pre-amp was an input to the Filter, as a friend of mine has Oris Horns and he says he plugs his pre-amp into the Filter and then the outputs go to the Amplifier inputs. So this Orphean seems like a different set-up.

So to Clarify........

1.) Each Filter only has 1 set of inputs and the outputs of both the Bass Amp and the Midrange/Tweeter Amp goes into these two Input Terminals. 4 Speaker Level Wires hooked to two input terminals on the filter. Do I have this correct?

2.) There are 2 sets of outputs on each Filter. One Set goes to the Orphean Horn and the other set goes to my Bass Bin. Correct?

3.) Are there any controls on the Filter?

Orphean...

by DeMarko @, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 17:55 (3867 days ago) @ Kevin

Bert, time to make a diagram or photos with arrows explaining the whole setup :)

RSS Feed of thread