Oris 150 Horns Questions (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 14:14 (3834 days ago)
edited by Kevin, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 14:50

A friend of mine that also has Klipschorn Bass Bins has tried the 150,200 and Orphean Horns with his system and preferred the 150 above all else as far as getting them to integrate with his Bass Bins. He is using the 150 with AER Drivers.

1.) Are the Oris 150 still available? if so, what is the pricing? Physical size?
2.) How about the AER Drivers?
3.) Is there a crossover for these horns?

I really searched your website, but could find little.

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Bert @, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 15:26 (3834 days ago) @ Kevin

A friend of mine that also has Klipschorn Bass Bins has tried the 150,200 and Orphean Horns with his system and preferred the 150 above all else as far as getting them to integrate with his Bass Bins. He is using the 150 with AER Drivers.

1.) Are the Oris 150 still available? if so, what is the pricing? Physical size?

879 Euro the pair plus shipping. The horns are 78cm in diameter at the mouth and 60cm deep (including rear chamber). The showroom shows several Oris 150 setups.

2.) How about the AER Drivers?

These start at 2.000 Euro the pair (including transparent phase plugs)

3.) Is there a crossover for these horns?

If you do not play too loud (especially deep frequencies) then these can play without any crossover but for your bass system there is always a crossover needed similar to all Oris based systems (Orphean included).

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 17:29 (3834 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks!

What is your personal favorite driver for the oris 150 horn?

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Bert @, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 20:09 (3834 days ago) @ Kevin

What is your personal favorite driver for the oris 150 horn?

The AER MD3 (double the price) but the AER mkI gives pretty good results as well.

Still, the Orphean with properly tuned crossover for the bass beats that.

Bert

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Monday, September 30, 2013, 03:07 (3832 days ago) @ Bert

Kevin,

I have been following your various posts and can see that you are trying to mate an Oris or Orphean system with your Khorn bass bins. I have been a long time Klipsch Heritage fan. I have owned the Khorns, Belle's, La Scala, Forte, cornwall, etc. I still have some Klipsch, but my main system is the Oris 150.

If you have not heard the 150, you owe it to yourself to find a pair to audition.

One problem you are going to run into with either Oris or Orphean and a Khorn bass bin is a timing issue. The folded horns have a very long delay compared to these horns. Unless you will be using an active equalizer, you will not be able to optimize your system, IMHO.

Quite simply, since installing my Oris 150's, I have stopped looking for another speaker to handle anything above 200Hz, and that's only because I am crossing at that point.

If you go with an Oris, I would suggest finding a direct radiator bass bin, or using an active crossover to time align your crossover point.

Unfortunately, I am not close to your location or would be glad to let you audition my system, which BTW has very modest drivers.

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, September 30, 2013, 03:27 (3832 days ago) @ Rudy81

Thanks for your reply.....

Yes, I would like to audition the 150 or the Orphean System. I have heard the Oris 200 at a friend of mine's home. So, I have a general idea. I am trying to figure out if the Oris Horns would be an 'Upgrade' on my system. Bert has indicated that he believes the Orphean System is his current "Best".

As far as the 'timing issue' that you mentioned, I would have probably already run into that with my Altec Horns and Driver. Maybe I just don't notice it or I don't have 'golden ears'. At any rate, that may not bother me in my system or my room.

What I am going for is increased Dynamics and Headroom as I reguarly run a 45 or 2a3 amp for All three of my drivers. Bass Bin, Mid Range and Tweeter. I am amazed that it sounds as good as it does.

I will definitely be giving Bi-amping a try next month as soon as I get my active crossover that I've ordered. It will be an 'experiment' and I can return it, if I don't don't think it will help me.

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Rudy81 @, Dallas, TX, Monday, September 30, 2013, 03:32 (3832 days ago) @ Kevin

Good luck in your quest. I totally understand what you are doing and where you are headed. I ended up in a place totally different than where I thought I was headed.

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 17:53 (3830 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hey Kevin,

I used the bass bins of a pair of Klipschorns with Oris 150s driven first with Lowther PM4s then with AER-MD3s for years. I still play the Oris 150s but with different bass corner horn capable of much deeper bass.

From the beginning I have used a digital signal processor for crossover, speaker correction, room correction time and phase correction, etc. Presently I use the DEQX HDP-3 for this purpose. Counting horn length inside the corner bass horns plus the physical separation between the bass horns and Oris horns the distance between the woofers and the AER drivers is 4.94 meters. Using the DEQX time correction I can adjust this so the the arrival time of the sound waves from the two drivers are as though their acoustic centers are 3mm or less apart. I wouldn't consider trying to use the Oris horns ideally located out in the room with bass corner horns back behind them without the ability to somehow correct for the time mismatch.

The best of success and good listening with your project. After forty years of building and buying different speaker systems I have been quite satisfied for over a decade with my three way horn system built around the Oris horns.

Don Reid

Oris 150 Horns Questions

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, October 03, 2013, 00:40 (3829 days ago) @ Don Reid

Thanks for your reply!

I would always have the Oris Horns on top of my Klipschorn Bass Bins and in the corners rather than separating them. My Friend has them in his corners and they are very acceptable to me.

My Bi-amping experiment comes later this month, and then I'll decide where to go from there.

RSS Feed of thread