advice on bass dsp/correction plus secret question (BD-Design)

by leovandoorn, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 19:17 (3830 days ago)

Hello Bert,

what is your actual advice for diy basscorrection for my BD15/oris150/diy BD supplied matrix box. Is that the reckmann s1 or, as I saw in one of your recent posts, the Hypex dsp plate amp?
And would you leave the power supply of that plate amp as it is or change it to a linear one?

Second question. I have a mahogany 38 cm tractrix horn as mid/high, beautifull piece really, bought it in France 20 years ago. For reasons of domestic pressure/waf related arguments I caNot change that horn (at present) for an Orphean. I use as driver either an old RCF681 (1 inch) or Altec Lansing 291 (with new diaphragms from Great Plains Audio) 1,5 inch driver. The latter with an adaptor.
My horn has an 1 inch connection but I would like to use your modified 2 inch drivers with it. Could I shorten my wooden horn till the throat is 2 inch or is this not only domestically dangerous but also audio-stupidity?

best regards,

Leo

advice on bass dsp/correction plus secret question

by Bert @, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 20:30 (3830 days ago) @ leovandoorn

what is your actual advice for diy basscorrection for my BD15/oris150/diy BD supplied matrix box. Is that the reckmann s1 or, as I saw in one of your recent posts, the Hypex dsp plate amp?

For bass a good DSP crossover is very nice as you can do basically anything with it you want (within restrictions of course).

Forget about the Reckhorn... :blush:

Some measuring tools are needed though plus the necessary insight to evaluate those measurements.

And would you leave the power supply of that plate amp as it is or change it to a linear one?

The modern switching power supplies are not the worst anymore and Class D amps just as well. The advantage is the extreme high output power and so far I heard with good results.

I am still going to experiment with only the DSP part of the Hypex with a linear power supply and a set of BD30's to see if I can improve things in the bass.

My horn has an 1 inch connection but I would like to use your modified 2 inch drivers with it. Could I shorten my wooden horn till the throat is 2 inch or is this not only domestically dangerous but also audio-stupidity?

I think it would be a pity if you would shorten the horn, then perhaps it would be better to use the 1.5" Coaxial BMS 4595ND driver instead? That way you can use the same adapter and if you like what you got then you can always shorten the horn to adapt the 1.5" more optimal?

Both drivers will need their specific crossovers made anyhow to your horns.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by leovandoorn, Thursday, October 03, 2013, 08:36 (3830 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert,

food for thought....

could the 1,5 BMS also be modified as in the 2 inch? Voice coils seem to have the seem size.

best regards,
Leo

by Bert @, Thursday, October 03, 2013, 14:10 (3829 days ago) @ leovandoorn

Hi Leo,

could the 1,5 BMS also be modified as in the 2 inch? Voice coils seem to have the seem size.

It is basically the same driver except for its dimensions so my guess is that the modifications will work on those too.

But I will have to get myself a pair to explore to be 100% sure.

Bert

PS These are more expensive though (about 10-15% more)

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by leovandoorn, Friday, October 04, 2013, 09:20 (3829 days ago) @ Bert

I will start with the Hypex, I move over to the BD-design site for ordering...

RSS Feed of thread