Hypex Amp, using speaker level outputs as Input... (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:28 (3798 days ago)
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 16:31

I called my Local Supplier of Hypex Amps and asked if I could use Speaker level outputs from Main Amplifer and use them into the "Audio Input" of the Hypex Amplifer. His first response was that "you cannot do this". I explained that I believe that is how the Speaker Manufacturer told me to do this. He said it may very work, but he could guarantee it would not 'fry' the amplifer. He was as confused as myself and he sells them. This is my main source of confusion and I hope you will clear this up for me. This is my one simple question.

I will order a pair of Hypex Amplifers today, but I am a bit reluctant to go head and Use the Speaker Level Outputs directly from my Main Amplifier into the "Audio Input" of the Hypex Amplifier without approval from you.

Hypex Amp, using speaker level outputs as Input...

by Bert @, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:46 (3798 days ago) @ Kevin
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 16:32

I called my Local Supplier of Hypex Amps and asked if I could use Speaker level outputs from Main Amplifer and use them into the "Audio Input" of the Hypex Amplifer.

Yes, you can do this without any problem as long as the signal is not too strong. With normal low sensitive hi-fi speakers this would be the case but then still the Hypex will just show you a red LED telling that you are overloading.

A simple calculation would explain that there will hardly be any current flowing within such a connection having a high impedance. :grin:

I will order a pair of Hypex Amplifers today, but I am a bit reluctant to go head and Use the Speaker Level Outputs directly from my Main Amplifier into the "Audio Input" of the Hypex Amplifier without approval from you.

You have a high efficiency system and then it just works without problems but if you do not trust then add a few resistors in the XLR plug to reduce the gain. Best to find out which values you'll finally need is to connect a potentiometer first and regulate it for optimal gain (Hypex volume set to 0) and replace it for fixed resistors when you're done.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 22:57 (3796 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 16:32

OK, my Hypex plate amps arrived today. I built the boxes for the plate amps this afternoon. I will be building a power cable and input cable tomorrow when my connectors arrive. Reading through the manual about the setup procedure raises a few questions.

1.) Is there a simple default setting I might start with and then I can tweak a few things 'By ear'? I've been in audio for 40 years and this is the first time I've heard of a 'Biquad'.

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 05:41 (3796 days ago) @ Kevin

1.) Is there a simple default setting I might start with and then I can tweak a few things 'By ear'? I've been in audio for 40 years and this is the first time I've heard of a 'Biquad'.

There are some example DSP-files on the CDROM which you can use to teach yourself. You can see on the graph what is changing when you apply certain settings/biquads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_biquad_filter

Just play around on your PC to get familiar with the program and its functions, for the rest you can only work with theory or dig into theory how to work around crossovers in general to have some insight to learn what you can do.

Bet

--

by mflaten, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 20:55 (3780 days ago) @ Bert

Bert - can one use the output from the preamp for the input of the Hypex PSC2.400 DSP? If so which do you recommend the output of the amp or the output of the preamp. I would think the output of the preamp so you are not amplifying all the idiosyncrasies of the amp.

by Bert @, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 23:05 (3780 days ago) @ mflaten

Bert - can one use the output from the preamp for the input of the Hypex PSC2.400 DSP?

In principle yes as long you have enough gain to balance the bass with the mid-high section.

If so which do you recommend the output of the amp or the output of the preamp.

This depends. If the quality of sound is good from the main amplifier then I would prefer to use the output from there. This gives the best possible integration because all artifacts fed into the mid-high section is similar in tone into the bass section as well. Another advantage is that you can simply exchange amplifiers to try without the need to change the settings for the Hypex. Last advantage is that you do not neccesarely need a pre-amplifier... :grin:

I would think the output of the preamp so you are not amplifying all the idiosyncrasies of the amp.

Which is a good thing unless there is mainly noise in the bass (lousy bass performance or hum). In this case it would probably be better to use a pre-amplifier.

Bert

--

by mflaten, Sunday, December 22, 2013, 17:13 (3750 days ago) @ Bert

I have the Hypex PSC2.400 and bridged mono and used solely for the woofer section. My speakers are 104db efficient. There is a little hum, not overbearing, but some (more than the amps that are driving the Hypex. I am wondering if bridging the amp imposing more hum than operating just one channel. I think having 400w into 4 ohms is adequate and do not need to bridge. What do you think?

by Bert @, Monday, December 23, 2013, 20:32 (3748 days ago) @ mflaten

I am wondering if bridging the amp imposing more hum than operating just one channel. I think having 400w into 4 ohms is adequate and do not need to bridge. What do you think?

I do not think it will change anything. If bridging gives more output then you'll have to ad gain again for s single amp configuration.

Do you hear any noise when you turn of your main amplifier? If not then this is the source and not the Hypex configuration.

Bert

--

RSS Feed of thread