REF2010 DIY (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 14:03 (3348 days ago)

For people capable enough to do all the work themselves I am happy to share the drawings for this extremely good performing bass system. Optimised for BD-Design BD15 bass drivers but usable for other quality bass drivers as well (after modification to be able to fit the bass driver deep enough into the final enclosure).

Here is the link: http://www.bd-design.nl/REF2010v2.pdf

See picture of the basic construction put together...

[image]

Happy listening! :yes:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:
REF2010

REF2010 DIY

by teigetje @, Duiven, NL, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 19:53 (3347 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert,

Can you also tell something about the damping? Material, amount of damping, etc.

Best regards,

Frank

--
Finally everything will be all right...

Damping Materials

by Bert @, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 20:49 (3347 days ago) @ teigetje

Originally these should be sheets of BAF (70x50x5cm) cut and placed according to the pictures below.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Cheers,

Bert

--

Can't find parts?

by Bert @, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 20:55 (3347 days ago) @ Bert

BD15's, reflex ports, damping materials and other related parts can be purchased directly from me if desired. I will put up a section within the BD-Design on-line shop in the next few days.

Until then you can contact me directly.

Cheers,

Bert

--

REF2010 DIY

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, January 19, 2015, 07:05 (3347 days ago) @ Bert

Hey Bert,

Thank you very very much for sharing your thoughts and inventions with us, but I think I will pass on this one. It appears to me to be so easy and simple to saw out and assemble that I might grow bored with the project.

By the way, Bert. I bought my Oris 150 horns back in 2004, and I am still in love with them. My horn speaker system has gone through many changes during the last 10+ years, but every change was determined by what would best complement and meld with the sound of your horns.

Don Reid

REF2010 DIY

by Bert @, Monday, January 19, 2015, 08:51 (3347 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hey Bert,

Thank you very very much for sharing your thoughts and inventions with us, but I think I will pass on this one. It appears to me to be so easy and simple to saw out and assemble that I might grow bored with the project.

That's why they invented the CNC-machinery! :grin:

By the way, Bert. I bought my Oris 150 horns back in 2004, and I am still in love with them. My horn speaker system has gone through many changes during the last 10+ years, but every change was determined by what would best complement and meld with the sound of your horns.

Thanks for sharing and indeed, I know the feeling! Good things never die...

Cheers,

Bert

--

REF2010 DIY

by Gasper @, Monday, January 19, 2015, 17:53 (3346 days ago) @ Bert

Dear All,

I must admit that this design is the best BR enclosure I have ever heard. It was once said to me that design is something between BR and closed box...:cool:

I purchased it in the 2010 as a kit version and it was 100% joy to buitd it as a DIYer.

What it is also very important is that I have had ALWAYS 100% SUPPORT from Bert including XO settings for Hypex.

Here is final version of it:
[image]

I wonder which "other" driver is appropriate for REF2010? The only thing what is "wrong" in this picture is that there is "just" one BD15 not 4...:bass: :drool:

But since I am a horn fan and want to have big speakers (bass in the first place) I am waiting to hear new developments from Bert soon...:yes:

Kind regards,

Gasper.

REF2010 DIY

by werner @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:58 (3341 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanx for sharing these drawings. I've been looking at them for a while, thinking of how I could make these panels. But I've the idea that they are not complete. "long 1" and "long2" connect the front and the back vertical. "short 1" and "short2" connect these horizontal, but I see no panels connecting the left to the right side...:no:

REF2010 DIY

by Bert @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:10 (3341 days ago) @ werner

Hi Bert,

Thanx for sharing these drawings. I've been looking at them for a while, thinking of how I could make these panels. But I've the idea that they are not complete. "long 1" and "long2" connect the front and the back vertical. "short 1" and "short2" connect these horizontal, but I see no panels connecting the left to the right side...:no:

Long 1 & 2 connect to the front, the rear, the top and the bottom panels
Short 1 & 2 connect to the front, the rear and the left & rigth side panels

At the side you only see the short panels and the smaller filling parts. The long parts are not clearly visible when you look at the picture.

Bert

--

REF2010 DIY

by werner @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:21 (3341 days ago) @ Bert

So what I am missing is the drawing of the (about 60) smaller filling parts ?

Updated PDF

by Bert @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:38 (3341 days ago) @ werner

So what I am missing is the drawing of the (about 60) smaller filling parts ?

Your absolutely right! :blush:

But check again, I have updated the PDF-file including details of the missing parts.

Bert

--

Updated PDF

by werner @, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:02 (3338 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thankx for updating the drawing. I am seriously planning to built these (as long as you can confirm that they will be an improvement to the LaScala like bass-horns I use at the moment).
To make sure I get a good understanding of how these speakers are built I made a 3D drawing using your drawings. All seems to fit perfectly. I only need some more 185 mm small filler parts (26) where you note 18. (See pictures). So now I have to get me some wood and a lot of time, and start saving for a nice pair of BD15 drivers

Animation of the internal construction can be found here: http://youtu.be/MKEt6eZ6vxY

work in progress

by werner @, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 15:00 (3276 days ago) @ werner

Made all the small pieces and now started to make the horizontal parts of the interior. I expected this project to be much work, and it really is. :dancing: Two of these finished, still 6 to go before the vertical parts can be done. I'll keep you informed.

[image]
[image]

Nice going!

by Bert @, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 20:31 (3275 days ago) @ werner

I remember my first work on the Swings doing it all by hand has well... loads of work!

Good that there is CNC these days... :grazy:

Bert

--

Nice going!

by teigetje @, Duiven, NL, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 22:56 (3275 days ago) @ Bert

... but it's worth it :yes:

--
Finally everything will be all right...

RSS Feed of thread