dampen the horns (Orphean)

by robert, Monday, April 20, 2015, 19:56 (3265 days ago)

Hello i try to dampen the horns and it is a big change in sound
the sound is more precice better details coming thru and gives a deeper soundstage
did someone try this before?
I did it with dive lead (soft lead)
and use a car anti slip mat the mats cost 79 cents and i buy the dive lead second hand for 7 euro /kg
i use the Orphean and the ref 2010 bass cabinets with the front horns
and i put 2 bags on watch horn so total 8 kg,

I like to here if someone try this before and if someone will try this and tell his experience with this
you can use also sandbags
i try it first with pillows and that is also working.
when you tap on the horn you can clearly hear it
[image]

[image]

dampen the horns

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 01:20 (3265 days ago) @ robert

Robert, your use of the lead and nonslip pads is certainly a neat and easily removed tweak. Thanks for the idea. I have never dampened my Oris 150 horns, but I planned to try. I have already bought an amount of tan Mortite which will allow me to apply several bands all the way around the horns. If you are not familiar with Mortite it is a heavy clay loaded soft caulking compound which never hardens.

Bert has often expressed the opinion that his horns sound better undampened. I respect Bert's opinions, but sometime one must try things and hear for themselves. We all hear differently. I'm sure the Mortite would serve the purpose, but if I decide that I agree with Bert your method sure will be easier to remove. I plan to run by a gun store tomorrow and buy lead shot sold to shooters who reload their own shotgun shells. Thanks again. for the idea.

dampen the horns

by robert, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 15:59 (3259 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hello Don
Did you try it ?
for me it is no doubt it is a big upgrade
i wonder how it sounds as i damp more
Bert was saying not fix the horns a rigit construction is not good
i can understand that but when you get the "ringing" out of the horns it sounds so much better i find.
You can hear it when you hit the horn edge with a knuckle a little dampen this sound is a lot better for the music
it clears up you get more details even more micro dynamics and a deeper soundstage.
I have at the moment no guts to try these on the backside of the horns :smile: because its a one way direction i can't go back
with the lead it is easy
http://novitech.en.ec21.com/Noise_and_Vibration_Damping_Paint--1587804_6216642.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Acoustic-Dampening-Liquid-Vibration-Damping-Sound-De...
But maybe in the future who nows :cool:
same as Goto do in a extreme way
[image]

Thin and thick bells..

by Bert @, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 19:20 (3259 days ago) @ robert

Hi Robert,

Bert was saying not fix the horns a rigit construction is not good

The newer Orphean horns are constructed a little different than yours being less sensitive to this colouration.

You can hear it when you hit the horn edge with a knuckle a little dampen this sound is a lot better for the music

This frequency is not excited by the horn used frequency range itself much anyhow. Surrounding sound sources might influence somewhat and this can easy be manipulated like you do.

same as Goto do in a extreme way

Those are high Q horns (being very stiff and hard moving resonance frequencies into the frequency band!) Those do need damping and even a lot but then still they will not be completely silent after that...

Think about a nice thin bell and tick to the side. It will sing a long time until you gently push one finger to the side and it will be silent (Oris horns!). Think the same way using a thick bell in resonance...you'll need to hold that real tight to get it silent which is not only more difficult but with a slower decay until they're silence...

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Thin and thick bells..

by robert, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 20:09 (3259 days ago) @ Bert

i always tought that a have Orphean horns? :no:

Thin and thick bells..

by Bert @, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 20:38 (3259 days ago) @ robert

i always tought that a have Orphean horns? :no:

Yes, you do have Orphean horns. Basically the same but the external construction is simplified and delivered in one piece and not in 2 parts anymore (horn + tube).

Cheers,

Bert

--

Picture of the Orphean newer style (basically old already...

by Bert @, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 20:45 (3259 days ago) @ robert

The Orelino as prototype:

[image]

--

by robert, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 21:20 (3259 days ago) @ Bert
edited by robert, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 21:37

[image]that looks the same as i have ?

by robert, Monday, April 27, 2015, 11:00 (3258 days ago) @ robert
edited by robert, Monday, April 27, 2015, 13:55

I have a bigger tube that means it go's further over the flare and that should dampen the horns even more ?
yesterday i take the lead bags off the horns and the sticky pads also
only the sticky pads already working !
and i quick put it back it is dramatic was it do
It is so much better with damping!
i think this is a very good thing to try on the horns.
I have the lead bags also on the short oris 150 that loads the BD15 but here is the effect not so big
on the Orphean with its higher freq, its BIG.
and i think that this damping is enough maybe you can also over damp the horns and then the sound get worse i don't now.
I put a few months ago for 1200 euro Deulund caps in my system and it was worth it i am very happy with the upgrade
but the lead bags have a greater impact in the better sound direction.
and cost almost notting :grin:

by robert, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 11:14 (3246 days ago) @ robert

Did no one try this??? :fool:
Its the biggest upgrade you can do on the horns it cost almost notting and its reversible
you got complete new sound experience ,much better :cool:

by Bert @, Sunday, May 10, 2015, 19:33 (3245 days ago) @ robert

Did no one try this??? :fool:

I will experiment with this once I have my new Sigma system up and running... the big compression horns I use now do not need any help.

Other people will too but in time. :yes:

Bert

--

by robert, Monday, May 11, 2015, 01:00 (3245 days ago) @ Bert

Are the horns on the Sigma bigger then the Orphean horns?

by Bert @, Monday, May 11, 2015, 08:42 (3244 days ago) @ robert

Are the horns on the Sigma bigger then the Orphean horns?

Same size but different again... you'll see. :yes:

Bert

--

dampen the horns

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 01:01 (3225 days ago) @ robert

Hi, Robert,

You probably thought I was all talk and no action when I was enthusiastic about trying dampening my Oris 150 horns and then never responded to you. I had a bit of a physical problem which has occupied me a great deal in recent weeks. I only have vision in one eye and the retina of that eye began growing a macula hole. This is the problem which already destroyed all the central vision in my bad eye. Since then I have had one surgery on my eye and another surgery is already scheduled. At present driving isn't feasible and I hate to impose on my wife to drive me across town to buy lead to lay on my horns.

I checked to see how the Mortite I mentioned above adhered to the ABS plastic horn and how neatly it peeled off and cleaned up. I applied two bands of Mortite about 7mm thick and 25 mm wide all the way around each Oris 150 horn, one perhaps 100 mm from the mouth of the horn and another about 150 mm back from the mouth of the horn. I pressed the putty like Mortite firmly onto the outside of the horn by repeatedly rolling it with a waxed roller.

After completing the application of the dampening material I listened. After numerous LPs and CDs I like the difference I hear. The improvement is not what I would call dramatic, but it is audible and pleasing. I won't even attempt a technical description of the difference, but it is most audible in the frequency range of upper female vocals, trumpet, alto saxophone, etc. Before the dampening of the horn there was sometimes a very very slight hardness or confusion of these sounds especially during very loud passages. The sound now has improved clarity and a more relaxing sound. I intend to keep dampening material on the Oris horns, but I will probably try a better and more attractive method later.

RSS Feed of thread